Macon Telegraph article | CPJ says we may see Benson and Howard at once

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think this is less about new plays and more about more size in there blocking at AB, like we saw Saturday.

However, CPJ's line about "having nobody to run downhill" echoes criticism he's already given KB. While I don't think that signals a move for KB to AB and JH at BB, it does raise questions about what he means.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
Done it before. A more rare play. But we did it with Ant a few times. If u chart and follow our O closely over the years its funny cuz plays disappear for like 2-3 years that re appear. Although they are run like once every year, its just a rare play all of a sudden gets noticed. This is one of em.

What is interesting is paul is calling plays he did more commonly with josh....

This also shows how well Johnson and the other coaches know what the Offense will work the best with given the current personnel. It is just like the discussions that were brought up about the Midline being run with TM since JT left due to the size differences. I also wonder if CPJ is realizing the clock is ticking and if he ever wants to win a national championship he needs to plan and make moves to make it happen now given his age and proximity to retirement.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind CPJ doesn’t use a play card, he makes all his calls out of his head. I imagine he puts together a game plan with a small subset of plays specifically chosen based on the game/personnel matchups. Considering our current personnel, he may insert plays rarely used in the recent past.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he's mainly using it as motivation for the other a-backs. His comment on Saturday came from his observation that the current a-backs don't seem to want to get downhill quickly, thus allowing the defense to string the pitch plays out and that he knew Quaide and Jerry could get north-south quickly. Jerry's got enough on his plate trying to learn the b-back position without throwing in the intricate blocking assignments and pass routes that are involved in being an a-back in this offense. Quaide may be a different story. My suspicion is that Quaide's playing time at a-back will be impacted by how soon JJ comes back and whether the other a-backs get the message to get 5 yards by going down hill rather than dancing back there hoping to hit a homerun every time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Prediction: Howard will eventually be our starting BB, but Benson will be playing heavy minutes as well. Maybe not this year, but Howard's size and speed is ideal for BB, and he's been pretty productive (when he doesn't fumble). Could see Benson play the role of Marcus Marshall to Dedrick Mills in 2016. Both will get heavy minutes at BB, as I'm sure CPJ loves Benson's big play ability. Howard to tenderize the defense, and Benson to cook them.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think he's mainly using it as motivation for the other a-backs. His comment on Saturday came from his observation that the current a-backs don't seem to want to get downhill quickly, thus allowing the defense to string the pitch plays out and that he knew Quaide and Jerry could get north-south quickly. Jerry's got enough on his plate trying to learn the b-back position without throwing in the intricate blocking assignments and pass routes that are involved in being an a-back in this offense. Quaide may be a different story. My suspicion is that Quaide's playing time at a-back will be impacted by how soon JJ comes back and whether the other a-backs get the message to get 5 yards by going down hill rather than dancing back there hoping to hit a homerun every time.
It drives me nuts when the AB gets to the corner and stops! I doubt it is much easier on Coach Johnson.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Prediction: Howard will eventually be our starting BB, but Benson will be playing heavy minutes as well. Maybe not this year, but Howard's size and speed is ideal for BB, and he's been pretty productive (when he doesn't fumble). Could see Benson play the role of Marcus Marshall to Dedrick Mills in 2016. Both will get heavy minutes at BB, as I'm sure CPJ loves Benson's big play ability. Howard to tenderize the defense, and Benson to cook them.
I disagree here, I think the BB spot is Benson's for the forseeable future and if one needs to move to get both on the field, it'd be Howard. There's so much to be said for consistency in the QB-BB battery, and Quon and KirVonte have already shown to have a good rapport on the mesh. I'd prefer to let that keep on developing, and train Howard on the basic aspects of the AB position to get more power running at the edges (if option timing/pitch relationship is an issue there, use him mostly for lead blocking and the occassional rocket toss hammer at the corner). Besides, even despite the size difference between, I'm pretty sure Benson is the hardest hitting, hardest running BB we have on the roster. That dude hits hard.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, CPJ said that both Jerry and Quaide have taken snaps at A-Back in practice. He said that other than Cottrell, the other A-Backs are smaller guys.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Quaide and Jerry both have good hands. In his HS film Jerry's team split him out at WR sporadically and he looked very natural catching the ball. Weimerskirch is probably the best-blocking BB we have overall. Howard can probably lead block pretty well if he has the want-to though!

What's good is we have all these backs for years to come (assuming Howard turns out to be a good student like Benson and Quaide).

We have the Ponchez-Mason kid as well as an AB/BB hybrid type. Would be cool to see Jay Jones or Lucas Johnson come in at QB for a play, line up Taquon at AB, and do a throwback to the QB. Lots of options for screwing with people.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I disagree here, I think the BB spot is Benson's for the forseeable future and if one needs to move to get both on the field, it'd be Howard. There's so much to be said for consistency in the QB-BB battery, and Quon and KirVonte have already shown to have a good rapport on the mesh. I'd prefer to let that keep on developing, and train Howard on the basic aspects of the AB position to get more power running at the edges (if option timing/pitch relationship is an issue there, use him mostly for lead blocking and the occassional rocket toss hammer at the corner). Besides, even despite the size difference between, I'm pretty sure Benson is the hardest hitting, hardest running BB we have on the roster. That dude hits hard.

Noted. We'll see...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Blows is right: Quaid might become the new Lucas Cox. I noticed that he was going across the formation down by the goal and turning up into the hole in front of Benson on what looked like a belly dive. (I was too excited to be analytical at the time.) Having him or Howard - could be either one - coming around end on a toss sweep might be interesting to watch.

However, I think we'll see an end to this "not running downhill" business directly. The reason = Lynch appears to be getting back into game shape. Getting "downhill" is sort of his trademark. Well … that and always running to the hole the play designates. Cottrell does that too, btw; one reason I like to see him run.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Really doubt we see split back veer.
Maybe more of that short motion that Quade did. "Downhill" leads me to think about the Power I that we use to run in the Dwyer days.

IMO, you have to keep Kirvonte's primary position at BB
Only time I remember seeing Dwyer run a power I was in his freshman year under Gailey.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think Blows is right: Quaid might become the new Lucas Cox. I noticed that he was going across the formation down by the goal and turning up into the hole in front of Benson on what looked like a belly dive. (I was too excited to be analytical at the time.) Having him or Howard - could be either one - coming around end on a toss sweep might be interesting to watch.

However, I think we'll see an end to this "not running downhill" business directly. The reason = Lynch appears to be getting back into game shape. Getting "downhill" is sort of his trademark. Well … that and always running to the hole the play designates. Cottrell does that too, btw; one reason I like to see him run.
I thought Lynch's trademark was "10+ yards/touch". The guy just gobbles up yards on his touches.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Between Kirvonte and Jerry, the guy who lines up in the slot (prob should say AB) is the guy who can catch the darn ball. Both have shown the ability to block with authority, especially Kirvonte in space with the cut. My guess a this point would be Howard to AB. This is just a feeling and it is more about hands than feet.