Macon Telegraph article | CPJ says we may see Benson and Howard at once

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly this one goes all the way back to Johnson's first year at Tech. He converted a fullback to A back, sorry I have a terrible memory for names, and had him and Dwyer routinely on the field in his base formation. This would not require him to do anything out of the ordinary alignment wise ... and Johnson's ethos is that simpler is better. Howard as a blocker, though, I'm just not sure.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly this one goes all the way back to Johnson's first year at Tech. He converted a fullback to A back, sorry I have a terrible memory for names, and had him and Dwyer routinely on the field in his base formation. This would not require him to do anything out of the ordinary alignment wise ... and Johnson's ethos is that simpler is better. Howard as a blocker, though, I'm just not sure.
Mike Cox? Preston Lyons?

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Mike Cox? Preston Lyons?

Lucas Cox, not Mike

Preston wasn't a fullback, I don't think. IIRC, he was a tailback at some smaller college and transferred in.

But he was probably a guy without any other "true" position at this level: he had straight-line speed and was tough, but lacked the lateral movement required for A-Back or tailback in D1.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Lucas Cox, not Mike

Preston wasn't a fullback, I don't think. IIRC, he was a tailback at some smaller college and transferred in.

But he was probably a guy without any other "true" position at this level: he had straight-line speed and was tough, but lacked the lateral movement required for A-Back or tailback in D1.
Yes, it was Lucas Cox. Generally when he blocked the fellow pretty much stayed blocked and it was kind of fun to see him coming across that formation.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We ran some power-I vs Clemson the year we ran the fake FG at home. It was down at the goal line. Wasn't very successful. IMO telegraphed too much.

I like lining them up at A back then loading from motion or setting up off motion into broken 'bone. Then run other plays based off the look to mix it up when teams key on it.

Actually, might be cool to line it up in the power to telegraph the living crap out of it then pull the ball and go bootleg run/pass option. Catch the DE trying to be a hero!

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
(1) Since I'm fairly confident that CPJ doesn't need my input ;), for my entertainment purposes I'd like to see -- as a rare change-of-look -- the A-backs initially line up behind the B-back, giving an old-school "Capital-I" or "Maryland-I" look before then resetting to their slot positions.

Here's a good article: https://minnesota.247sports.com/Art...eviews-what-exactly-is-this-Maryland-I-143853

In recent years, Minnesota dusted off this particular I-formation set, and had some success with it.

That said, heck -- have a series of four or five plays out of it. Oh, the amusement to see the opponent's defense, and the look on the DC's face, to see a CPJ team break out that formation. Even moreso if a play was actually run out of it. :)

[Historical note: In 1950, VMI, coached by young Tom Nugent (who later went on to coach Maryland and FSU), came to Atlanta as a 28-point underdog to Georgia Tech In its second game using this particular I formation, VMI upset Tech 14-13.]

(2) What the heck, I'm on a roll. Also for entertainment purposes, I'd like to see a jump pass sometime on third-and-short. Yeah, another old school move. Cincinnati (then coached by Butch Jones) pulled one off to absolute perfection a few years ago:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
(1) Since I'm fairly confident that CPJ doesn't need my input ;), for my entertainment purposes I'd like to see -- as a rare change-of-look -- the A-backs initially line up behind the B-back, giving an old-school "Capital-I" or "Maryland-I" look before then resetting to their slot positions.

Here's a good article: https://minnesota.247sports.com/Art...eviews-what-exactly-is-this-Maryland-I-143853

In recent years, Minnesota dusted off this particular I-formation set, and had some success with it.

That said, heck -- have a series of four or five plays out of it. Oh, the amusement to see the opponent's defense, and the look on the DC's face, to see a CPJ team break out that formation. Even moreso if a play was actually run out of it. :)

[Historical note: In 1950, VMI, coached by young Tom Nugent (who later went on to coach Maryland and FSU), came to Atlanta as a 28-point underdog to Georgia Tech In its second game using this particular I formation, VMI upset Tech 14-13.]

(2) What the heck, I'm on a roll. Also for entertainment purposes, I'd like to see a jump pass sometime on third-and-short. Yeah, another old school move. Cincinnati (then coached by Butch Jones) pulled one off to absolute perfection a few years ago:

Work in the Statue of Liberty and the Lonesome End and then you'll be on a roll. Actually I remember Johnson demonstrating his alignment at a chalkboard right after he was hired, and pointing out that by using quick motion, he could run every play out of his spread option that one could get from the power I or the wing T, and sometimes his midline reminds one student body right or left, but up the middle instead.