M Bob

65Jacket

GT Athlete
After reading about how football was being short changed in favor of basketball yesterday, I was too upset to sleep last night. Now I am as happy as a child on Christmas morning to hear he is leaving. We need a football guy who is into fund raising to lead our program. Football is the engine that drives our program.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I can't imagine faculty being that at odds with the athletic dept. Why should they?

What would be the reason?

Bud Peterson hates the athletic department?

That doesn't make sense to me.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From Bud -
"He also oversaw the compilation of a strategic plan for the athletic department, a guiding document with a mission statement and objectives that was completed in June."

Guess MBob didn't like the results and decided to move on...

Seriously though, it appears it was an opportunity to move back to his old home base. Best wishes to him.

More importantly, best wishes to the GT Search Committee to find a great replacement.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I remember Eric mentioning that he got information that a certain top donor said he'd never donate to GTAA again as long as M Bob was AD. This was all in response to M Bob promising to fire Gregory at the end of 2014, raising the money for it, then not doing so. I'm sure his reputation was really strained with donors, so whoever we hire next will have a clean slate and, likely, more money to work with. I hope he keeps his promises. For his sake.

The AD world is small. I'm sure people talk behind the scenes when discussing various jobs around the country. If what you say is true regarding Bud and Admin, I'm sure the next candidate will be fully aware of it before even interviewing. That would be the time for the new AD to get what he wants or what he thinks he needs to make our athletic department. I would not take a job unless certain assurances are made. If Bud and the Admin are hesitant to do it, then they get ready for a long search or having to do this every 5 years or so.
Hopefully there are some powerful alums who understand the value of athletics who will force the hands of Bud and the Admin.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This has been my impression, but where did you read it?

Not really a fair statement. One of the AJC articles mentioned that GT is expected to be in the red this season because of lower ticket sales to both FB and BB as well as having to pay buyouts to BB coaches.

GT isn't a huge athletics program so it has to sort of spread the money around and take turns.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
After reading about how football was being short changed in favor of basketball yesterday, I was too upset to sleep last night. Now I am as happy as a child on Christmas morning to hear he is leaving. We need a football guy who is into fund raising to lead our program. Football is the engine that drives our program.

Interesting, when I was coming up GT was considered the basketball school.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From Jeff Schultz's AJC article...apparently MBob's nickname inside the AD was Sasquatch. Given to him because no one ever saw him. Wow.

Here's more:

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
You alumni types need to put pressure on the hill to get a football guy in there. It's been basketball's turn too long!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The AD world is small. I'm sure people talk behind the scenes when discussing various jobs around the country. If what you say is true regarding Bud and Admin, I'm sure the next candidate will be fully aware of it before even interviewing. That would be the time for the new AD to get what he wants or what he thinks he needs to make our athletic department. I would not take a job unless certain assurances are made. If Bud and the Admin are hesitant to do it, then they get ready for a long search or having to do this every 5 years or so.

Umm, haven't we been doing this every 5 years or so? I think you have your answer.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
From Bud -
"He also oversaw the compilation of a strategic plan for the athletic department, a guiding document with a mission statement and objectives that was completed in June."

It is a sure sign of bureaucracy where written formal plans matter so much more than things like, you know, performance. Academicians are famous for being administrative bureaucrats in general. If Bud's view of MBob's crowning achievement was a piece of paper, though, it says a ton about Bud.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If they hire me I don't mind spending every penny on football, I'll even pay the big 5 star recruits under the table ;)

Jk of course but I hope we get someone who really cares about football.