M Bob

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So how long will it takes us to hire an AD. 2,3,4 months?

Reason I ask is, how long have MBob & Purdue been negotiating?

Where some of the flights taken during our basketball coaching search really for other purposes?

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
So how long will it takes us to hire an AD. 2,3,4 months?

Where some of the flights taken during our basketball coaching search really for other purposes?
Nice try on a conspiracy theory, but no. Purdue has an on campus airport for its professional flight program. It works out nicely for the athletic department and administration as they utilize a private jet to fly people in and out. They frequently use it to fly in high profile people for interviews, including coaching and AD candidates.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

They people did call him Sasquatch for a reason...maybe he was never in the office because he was busy out interviewing for another job.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Nice try on a conspiracy theory, but no. Purdue has an on campus airport for its professional flight program. It works out nicely for the athletic department and administration as they utilize a private jet to fly people in and out. They frequently use it to fly in high profile people for interviews, including coaching and AD candidates.

Conspiracy theory? BS. I asked a legit question based on how long it usually takes schools to hire someone, the fact that, as far as I know, nothing was ever mentioned about this.

If he had been flying into an on campus airport I do not think, but do not know, if it could have been kept quite.. But you may be correct.

Seems as if you know the answer, so can you tell us, just for curiosity sake, how long this took?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Conspiracy theory? BS. I asked a legit question based on how long it usually takes schools to hire someone, the fact that, as far as I know, nothing was ever mentioned about this.

If he had been flying into an on campus airport I do not think, but do not know, if it could have been kept quite.. But you may be correct.

Seems as if you know the answer, so can you tell us, just for curiosity sake, how long this took?

Even had this been going on for months, chances are that there would have only been 1-2 in person visits. Most likely, the search team from Purdue would have come to ATL and met MBob off campus somewhere for the first in-person visit. Once MBob showed mutual interest, he would have most likely then have flown to Purdue. I would think the GTAA would have questioned flights to Purdue during a basketball search considering their coach was never a possibility for poaching to GT.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Here's my two cents with very little knowledge other than what I've read the last couple days...

If the morale was as bad as they're saying then I'm glad he's gone. Need someone who can do better at fundraising. Needs to be someone with high energy that is visible in the community...not just someone we hear from on radio interviews a few times a year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When we hired key guy, we talked via phone, met for extended time at an outside location usually over weekend. Would ask key guy to fly jn for final meeting to shake hands with contemporaries and that was it. That part took a short time.
The other parts like deciding we needed a better person, deciding what the new person's quals needed, and " searching" took time. Hiring a guy who felt he was leaving a win/win situation was next to impossible but was often the guy we wanted.

Have we lost 2 ad under this admin?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Frankly, from an alum and season ticket holder point of view, I fail to see that DRad did any better. If he knew your first name, fine, but he never even responded to an email I sent him with a photo of some Tech souvenirs I found in, of all places, Moscow, Russia.

Here's my thought on recent ADs. Braine was decent, but had the unmitigated temerity to articulate what so many people think, but don't want to admit. While I can admit to the fact that I sometimes agree with him, I never want anyone in my administration to even hint at defeat. Setting that aside, Braine was in place for the renovation to Bobby Dodd Stadium, the rebuilding of Russ Chandler Stadium, and hired Paul Hewitt, who took us to the NC game in 2004. Had he nod had health issues, he might still be our AD. His contract extension for Hewitt was probably his second most egregious mistake. And for these two items, the contract and his horrible comment on GT competitiveness, he is sometimes reviled.

DRad was an amazing fundraiser. He was extremely personable, and never saw a hand he didn't shake. My only real beef with him was his mis-handling of the NCAA investigation and the fact that he ditched us for our rival. (That stings) It's also worth noting that he was put in an untenable position by the NCAA when they directed him not to inform CPJ of the investigation. AD-Coach trust is huge. His biggest credit is the hiring of CPJ, and I can forgive him of the Gregory hire, as the Hewitt contract anchor was particularly burdensome. Watching his success at Clemson, it's clear that he would have still been a terrific AD had he remained here at GT.

MBob, on the other hand, was always a bit underwhelming to me. I hated his handling of the CPJ contract extension, as I felt it should have been done earlier. He waited a year too long to fire Gregory, and I am still not sold Pastner was a great hire. (I admittedly know less about BB than FB, so I hope I am wrong here) Also, while I always try and take the initial complaints following someones exit with a grain of salt, there weren't any real allegations of mismanagement following DRads departure. The news coming out of the GTAA following MBobs leaving is astounding. I think it's too soon to tell how big, for good or ill, his impact as our AD was, as his biggest impact is still trying to solidify his first recruiting class. I do think it's fair to say that his departure hurts us less than DRads did.

Just my $0.02

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't know any specifics as they relate to Mbob. Morgan Burke announced his retirement at the beginning of 2016, so they have been doing a search for quite sometime. I have a son who just graduated from there and they always have a steady stream of VIPs come through the airport there. This is not a commercial airport so there's not any passenger traffic of which to speak. I doubt the average Purdue student or professor onsite at the airport for class would recognize Mike Bobinski. Probably wouldn't even recognize the name if they were told that's Mike Bobinski coming in on the plane. Even if told "that's the current athletic director at Georgia Tech", I cannot imagine that the student would do anything with the information or spread the rumor. Now if they were doing a head football coach search and Nick Saban came in on the private jet, then yes, chances are that info would get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Even had this been going on for months, chances are that there would have only been 1-2 in person visits. Most likely, the search team from Purdue would have come to ATL and met MBob off campus somewhere for the first in-person visit. Once MBob showed mutual interest, he would have most likely then have flown to Purdue. I would think the GTAA would have questioned flights to Purdue during a basketball search considering their coach was never a possibility for poaching to GT.
One interesting note that I heard on the radio. The search firm that Purdue used to find Bobinski was the same search firm that Bobinski used to find Pastner. There was already a relationship there.

Here's my thought on recent ADs. Braine was decent, but had the unmitigated temerity to articulate what so many people think, but don't want to admit. While I can admit to the fact that I sometimes agree with him, I never want anyone in my administration to even hint at defeat. Setting that aside, Braine was in place for the renovation to Bobby Dodd Stadium, the rebuilding of Russ Chandler Stadium, and hired Paul Hewitt, who took us to the NC game in 2004. Had he nod had health issues, he might still be our AD. His contract extension for Hewitt was probably his second most egregious mistake. And for these two items, the contract and his horrible comment on GT competitiveness, he is sometimes reviled.

DRad was an amazing fundraiser. He was extremely personable, and never saw a hand he didn't shake. My only real beef with him was his mis-handling of the NCAA investigation and the fact that he ditched us for our rival. (That stings) It's also worth noting that he was put in an untenable position by the NCAA when they directed him not to inform CPJ of the investigation. AD-Coach trust is huge. His biggest credit is the hiring of CPJ, and I can forgive him of the Gregory hire, as the Hewitt contract anchor was particularly burdensome. Watching his success at Clemson, it's clear that he would have still been a terrific AD had he remained here at GT.

MBob, on the other hand, was always a bit underwhelming to me. I hated his handling of the CPJ contract extension, as I felt it should have been done earlier. He waited a year too long to fire Gregory, and I am still not sold Pastner was a great hire. (I admittedly know less about BB than FB, so I hope I am wrong here) Also, while I always try and take the initial complaints following someones exit with a grain of salt, there weren't any real allegations of mismanagement following DRads departure. The news coming out of the GTAA following MBobs leaving is astounding. I think it's too soon to tell how big, for good or ill, his impact as our AD was, as his biggest impact is still trying to solidify his first recruiting class. I do think it's fair to say that his departure hurts us less than DRads did.

Just my $0.02
I agree with a lot of your points, but I should point out FWIW that a couple of my Clemson friends say that the Clemson fans as a whole are not completely sold on DRad. In fact, they see similarities in what he's doing at Clemson to what he did at Tech, and I'm not talking about the good things.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea if Bobinski will be a great, average, or bad AD at Purdue (we'll get to judge him by what he does here over the next couple of years), but I'm not going to hold it against him if he ruffled some feathers in and around the GT athletic department during his tenure.

Under the previous AD at GT, the football & basketball programs were cited by the NCAA in 2011 for major violations that resulted in vacated wins, returned money, a forfeited championship, restricted recruiting days/visits, and probation. While on probation for those violations (2011-2012, prior to MBob), nine of their programs were found to be playing the Sampson game of impermissible calls & text which resulted in their probation being extended until 2017 (among other self-imposed sanctions for a failure to monitor finding).

I think I'd probably be more concerned if Bobinski didn't clash with the personalities & philosophies in place at GT when he arrived.

First time I've ever heard someone try to say GT was a dirty program.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yes, last night he said he flew to Purdue Monday and they offered him the job then.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Local interview he did yesterday:

LOTS of veiled criticisms of GT by going point for point on what Purdue is trying to do, and what they have that makes the job attractive...which if you read between the lines, means GT didn't have, or weren't willing to give. Pay attention to the "meet in the middle" comments. Can't say he's all too wrong with everything if you're subjective about the state of our Administration, but can't spin how he pretty much bailed ship 3 years into his tenure before trying to navigate the system.

Also interesting: Search firm that MBob used to help get Pastner was the same firm Purdue used to get Bobinski. Hmmm....

Techster

Helluva Engineer

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Article based on the interview he gave on 680 the fan which I linked in my post for those who don't want to deal with AJC paywall.
Am I the only one who thinks writing an article that is basically a recap of a radio interview shouldn't really be behind a paywall? They are basically charging for someone elses work. Oh well. It is a decent interview by Chuck and Chernoff. I am surprised Mike even bothered with it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Local interview he did yesterday:

LOTS of veiled criticisms of GT by going point for point on what Purdue is trying to do, and what they have that makes the job attractive...which if you read between the lines, means GT didn't have, or weren't willing to give. Pay attention to the "meet in the middle" comments. Can't say he's all too wrong with everything if you're subjective about the state of our Administration, but can't spin how he pretty much bailed ship 3 years into his tenure before trying to navigate the system.

Also interesting: Search firm that MBob used to help get Pastner was the same firm Purdue used to get Bobinski. Hmmm....

I didn't take the reasons for going to Perdue to be disguised criticism of GT.

I believe the "meet in the middle" comment was regarding the report that people in the GTAA said that he was absent most of the time, not in regard to the school administration. It seemed to me that he pretty much dodged every question except for the Omni Air question, and the relationship with CPJ question. For all of the other questions, he said a lot of words, but there wasn't a lot of substance. For the Omni Air question, he said that the GTAA had nothing to do with it that it was included in the contract from the organizers. IF there were any competent sports journalists in town, they could find out pretty easily if that plane trip and airline was in the contract.