M Bob

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
That is the type of decision making reflective of someone without any background as an AD from a school with a football team. What nobody has come out and said was that his first choice was to leave on August 1, 2016 using wooden ship replicas from the Roman Navy with the GT players rowing themselves to the Emerald Isle.

He tried to convince CPJ that it would be better than training camp and get them into shape for those 4th quarter "death marches."

Bobo will NOT be missed!

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Wow
Just Wow
How in the hell?? An 8 hour flight on a cargo plane? That's just embarrassing and fireable. That's so bad it sounds like a bad parody. The administration can't have a hire like that again...
Ever!!!
The damage has already been done, you know it'll be used against us in recruiting. "Why would you want to go somewhere that'll pack you like cattle onto a cargo plane?"

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Mark Bradley's take - Link

"As AD, Bobinski went through several publicists — Wayne Hogan was pushed aside after one year, Dean Buchan after two — but it was uncertain whether subsequent hires ever yielded whatever it was Bobinski wanted. Because what Bobinski wanted wasn’t exactly clear."

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
I was slightly alarmed when I heard this news. The more information comes out, the better I feel about it. I know many will disagree, but I hope we get another DRad. Associate AD in a power conference, with strong football tradition, and a history of fundraising ability.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was slightly alarmed when I heard this news. The more information comes out, the better I feel about it. I know many will disagree, but I hope we get another DRad. Associate AD in a power conference, with strong football tradition, and a history of fundraising ability.

I thought DRad was a lot better than most on here want to give him credit for. It didn't help that he left to go to one of our annual rivals who has a larger budget than us. He certainly did a lot in the way of facilities, and he did hire CPJ. The Brian Gregory hire doesn't help his case much, but his hands may have been tied due to monetary reasons from the Hewitt buyout...which also subsequently affected the hiring of Gregory's replacement as well.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought DRad was a lot better than most on here want to give him credit for. It didn't help that he left to go to one of our annual rivals who has a larger budget than us. He certainly did a lot in the way of facilities, and he did hire CPJ. The Brian Gregory hire doesn't help his case much, but his hands may have been tied due to monetary reasons from the Hewitt buyout.
Lots of Tech people like to wring their hands over debt because they don't really understand that business financials don't operate the same way as personal finance.

DRad took advantage of the extremely cheap credit environment after 2008 to get us a bunch of new facilities and set things up for the future. I personally thought he was a really great AD and was sad when he left for Clemson.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lots of Tech people like to wring their hands over debt because they don't really understand that business financials don't operate the same way as personal finance.

DRad took advantage of the extremely cheap credit environment after 2008 to get us a bunch of new facilities and set things up for the future. I personally thought he was a really great AD and was sad when he left for Clemson.

Great point. Also to further your point, MBob left saying GT is projected to operate at a $2.5million defecit. That doesn't mean GT doesn't have money, they're just projected to be in the hole at the end of the year after forecasting revenue and expenses. Forecasting being the key word. GT is playing with money from this year's revenues...and not borrowing against the future or taking money from the past.

The downside to that is, well, we could be losing more than $2.5 million this year....especially if MBob used to the 3rd rate Airline to Ireland as part of his expense forecast...ahem...

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Great point. Also to further your point, MBob left saying GT is projected to operate at a $2.5million defecit. That doesn't mean GT doesn't have money, they're just projected to be in the hole at the end of the year after forecasting revenue and expenses. Forecasting being the key word. GT is playing with money from this year's revenues...and not borrowing against the future or taking money from the past.

The downside to that is, well, we could be losing more than $2.5 million this year....especially if MBob used to the 3rd rate Airline to Ireland as part of his expense forecast...ahem...
Yep. I don't have time to pull up the AA's latest financial statements, but I would hope our Cash (and equivalents) On Hand would be enough to run 1-2 years of deficits until a (hypothetical) new apparel deal and ACCN money start rolling in over the rest of the decade.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Still believe that the Prez & Profs on the Board have as much to do with things like the cargo plane as MBob.

After reading everything, I am glad he is gone, but I believe he was doing the bidding of Peterson and others.

How can we trust Peterson with the next hire?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I thought DRad was a lot better than most on here want to give him credit for. It didn't help that he left to go to one of our annual rivals who has a larger budget than us. He certainly did a lot in the way of facilities, and he did hire CPJ. The Brian Gregory hire doesn't help his case much, but his hands may have been tied due to monetary reasons from the Hewitt buyout...which also subsequently affected the hiring of Gregory's replacement as well.
The way he handled the NCAA investigation, the way he took far too long to get rid of Hewitt, and a relatively poor basketball hire are the main reasons I can't really think about him in a positive light. He seemed to do well in raising funds for facilities and not much else.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
D-Rad was a great fundraiser and mediocre at everything else. He went 1-2 on his money sport coaching hires, but post-Hewitt I'm not sure how good anyone could've done. Now I'm afraid that one Grad student from one of the other sites is gonna come in here and talk about how D-Rad screwed over the Grad students with athletic dues. Not that anyone cares.

It does worry me that Peterson doesn't seem so concerned about football. A successful football program increases profile, which leads to a rise in applicants. IT would behoove the big-money alums to make that clear to our President when it comes to the next AD hire...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The way he handled the NCAA investigation, the way he took far too long to get rid of Hewitt, and a relatively poor basketball hire are the main reasons I can't really think about him in a positive light. He seemed to do well in raising funds for facilities and not much else.

NCAA Investigation: He was kind of in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If I remember correctly, we were punished not because of the crime, but because the NCAA told DRad not to tell CPJ and his staff they were being investigated in the first place. Well, if he did that, he would have been at risk of losing CPJ's trust. He only has to deal with the NCAA for a limited amount of time, he would have to work with the guy he hires every day.

Getting Rid of Hewitt: Hewitt had a self-renewing 7 year contract. The buyout on that one wasn't something GT could easily afford, and certainly not something to you go to donors to fork up all at once. If I'm not mistaken, it took several years of banking donor pledged money to swing the buyout. GT athletics could have been crippled from that, to a certain extent we're kind of still recovering from that as our last two basketball hires have been influenced by the buyout.

Hiring Brian Gregory: Could he have done better? Probably...but how much better considering the above? We'll never know, but hiring CBG is probably a negative in DRad's column.

All in all, your biggest complaints against DRad were really almost beyond his control. Can't really blame DRad for BayBay taking merchandise to get us in the situation in the first place, and DRad was stuck in a lose-lose situation no matter which direction he went on telling the staff. DRad also didn't hire Hewitt, and he certainly can't control GT's financial state to buy Hewitt out...that took time.

I think DRad's positives far outweighed the negatives. When he left, he certainly didn't leave to the all problems coming to light that MBob is leaving behind. Think of his capital projects this way: UGA with all of their money and fanbase could not get an indoor facility until recently. GT, with our shoestring yearly budget, and in a location where adding real estate projects are 5-10x more expensive than in Athens, got an indoor practice facility many years before UGA did. DRad had the foresight to do our largest capital improvement projects when interest was almost close to zero. He was also very good with getting our notoriously cheap alumni to fork over a lot of money to help with those projects...not to mention buy multiple coaches out (Hewitt, Gailey). Oh, he also hired CPJ...

I would take another DRad 10 out of 10 times before another MBob or Braine.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
He's still a little on the undercooked side. I think another 10 years and he'll be just right. He doesn't have the clout to wade in with the big boys yet. He will, but just not yet. I think Marvin Lewis is closer thatn Darryl, but he's not there yet either. He's worked in 3 different athletic departments, as an Associate AD in two P5 schools in academic conferences and almost 5 years at a G5 school. However, he's a "dollars and cents" guy, not a money guy. Someone like Curry would be the "money" guy.
Why didn't we hire Bill Curry anyway?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Bobblehead Bobinski ended the GT Coaches Spring Caravan. He Ended the GT Football Kickoff Luncheon ( which had to be a good fund raiser! ). He put a stop to any type of Georgia Tech Family feeling. He never reached out to Season Ticket Holders & Supporters. Dan Radakovich new folks on a 1st name basis and made sure that TECH was out in the community. This guy made no attempt to save Tailgaters Alley and now they are completely out of business! Please get the next hire right Dr. Peterson.. This guy was a huge mistake.. And that's being nice about it..

Bobblehead Bobinski ended the GT Coaches Spring Caravan. He Ended the GT Football Kickoff Luncheon ( which had to be a good fund raiser! ). He put a stop to any type of Georgia Tech Family feeling. He never reached out to Season Ticket Holders & Supporters. Dan Radakovich new folks on a 1st name basis and made sure that TECH was out in the community. This guy made no attempt to save Tailgaters Alley and now they are completely out of business! Please get the next hire right Dr. Peterson.. This guy was a huge mistake.. And that's being nice about it..
Frankly, from an alum and season ticket holder point of view, I fail to see that DRad did any better. If he knew your first name, fine, but he never even responded to an email I sent him with a photo of some Tech souvenirs I found in, of all places, Moscow, Russia.