Lucas Johnson (highlights)

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
He reminds me a bit of Lamar Jackson, though he's a step slower.

1. I think that the "sling" look is not due to bad mechanics. He has a big arm and big hands. QBs like that can look like they are slinging the ball because they don't have to put much effort into their short throws. His footwork - the ultimate tell - is pretty good. Now, if Coach can only convince him to quit carrying the ball like a loaf of bread, he'll be all set.

2. I think spring will see a real prize fight for QB. Personally, I think TM will win it. As I've said before, most of the faults he had this year - problems with reads, keeping instead of pitching, passing mechanics - were the ones Nesbitt had in his first year and are largely due to feeling the position out. But it'll be close and LJ could easily get the job. The one thing that could tip the scales his way is if he's the guy who can turn Brad Stewart into the prime WR. That's going to be job #1 for QBs in the spring, imho. He would then get a chance to show the same problems TM had this year next year. Oh, joy.
Agree. Just want to see LJ get on the field some , hopefully when we are way ahead ! To prep him for 2019.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
If he does not get on the field in some capacity in the 2018 season , to show he is making progress to start in 2019, yeah I think he might consider it. If TM plays every snap ( practically ) in 2018 , like he did in 2017, then I feel LJ might want to go. Start the 2019 season with NO snaps in a game ? Why would you even do that to him if you didn't have to ? MJ subbed for JT quite a bit in 2016, when it was possible , but for some reason not much happened this year if we were way ahead ( were we ever ?) or way behind , right ? I didn't get to see but 3 games here in Wisconsin, so I might be wrong about that. I would have subbed LJ at the end of the UGA game this year.
You're making two different points. I agree that LJ should have played more this year; I've been consistent about that. However, I don't think the transfer point would make much sense for LJ.

At this point LJ is at least the clear #2 QB.* If he loses the QB battle this spring and doesn't play much next year, he is still in the driver's seat to start 2019 at the latest. Why transfer away from being in the drivers seat, at a school where you know the offense, to a position where he would be learning a new offense and having to compete with new QBs? I don't see that happening.

*I think this point will become moot; LJ will play a substantial amount next year.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Thanks @ATL1 for posting LJ's videos. I had forgotten just how smooth LJ is. He can spin the ball and there were a couple of deep corner routes where he shows wonderful touch. He is QB through and through, just one that can also run with vision and smoothness. Definitely not a RB playing QB! Saw a comment about how he carries the ball, if you notice once he pulls it down he tucks it away nicely. All in all I am looking forward to the QB competition this Spring!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
You're making two different points. I agree that LJ should have played more this year; I've been consistent about that. However, I don't think the transfer point would make much sense for LJ.

At this point LJ is at least the clear #2 QB.* If he loses the QB battle this spring and doesn't play much next year, he is still in the driver's seat to start 2019 at the latest. Why transfer away from being in the drivers seat, at a school where you know the offense, to a position where he would be learning a new offense and having to compete with new QBs? I don't see that happening.

*I think this point will become moot; LJ will play a substantial amount next year.
I know I am making two different points. I also hope and believe , that LJ will see the field in 2018. IMO, as I said, when MJ was injured, I think he should have seen the field this year. But , as history has proven over the recent past , kids make seemingly stupid decisions to transfer. I just think it would bolster the young man's confidence to get his feet wet this year. We will see !

Deleted member 2897

He's the first QB (better than Vad Lee) under Coach Johnson that comes in with solid passing mechanics.

I think his school even ran TO, but changed due to Lucas Johnson's ability. He was under recruited because he is only 6'1 maybe 6'2 on a good day ( for four stars most QBs need to be at least 6'4)

From an Article posted when he committed:
Former NFL QB Akili Smith, who has been training quarterbacks since 2007, said he believes Johnson will be a "dynamic" college quarterback.

"He’s got all of the tools," Smith said. "He can make all of the throws, and he has the ability to pull the ball down and make plays with his legs. With his athletic ability, I don’t understand how so many schools are overlooking this kid. It’s a head-scratcher to me."

Link
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...arterback-spread-johnson-2015nov05-story.html

That is fake news. He is all of 6'3"
Note that Matthew Jordan and Tobias Oliver are both 6'2".

DHEVODWUIAApFeV.jpg

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I know I am making two different points. I also hope and believe , that LJ will see the field in 2018. IMO, as I said, when MJ was injured, I think he should have seen the field this year. But , as history has proven over the recent past , kids make seemingly stupid decisions to transfer. I just think it would bolster the young man's confidence to get his feet wet this year. We will see !
Furthermore,I I think it worked on JJs decision , too. He was probably #4 during a crappy year , with a struggling O. When # 2 ( MJ ) went down , he became #3. So #2 didn't see the field for the year. So , it was very possible, unless he beat out LJ for #2 , he wouldn't even see the field for 2 more years. Bye, bye !

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Wow nice film. Not blazing speed, but he can run and he's very elusive. Good arm, I like his passes. Nitpicking, but his throwing motion seems a little unorthodox to me. Can't pinpoint what exactly it is; some passes seem to be more of a "sling" than a "pass". Maybe that's good, don't know a lot about being a D1 QB. But overall, very good film and I'm exited to see him in 2018!

He has really long arms, that may play apart in why his throwing motion looks off.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He reminds me a bit of Lamar Jackson, though he's a step slower.

1. I think that the "sling" look is not due to bad mechanics. He has a big arm and big hands. QBs like that can look like they are slinging the ball because they don't have to put much effort into their short throws. His footwork - the ultimate tell - is pretty good. Now, if Coach can only convince him to quit carrying the ball like a loaf of bread, he'll be all set.

2. I think spring will see a real prize fight for QB. Personally, I think TM will win it. As I've said before, most of the faults he had this year - problems with reads, keeping instead of pitching, passing mechanics - were the ones Nesbitt had in his first year and are largely due to feeling the position out. But it'll be close and LJ could easily get the job. The one thing that could tip the scales his way is if he's the guy who can turn Brad Stewart into the prime WR. That's going to be job #1 for QBs in the spring, imho. He would then get a chance to show the same problems TM had this year next year. Oh, joy.

If BS is our #1 receiver then it's gonna be a long season...

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We could have a passer with the ability of Tom Brady, but it doesn’t matter if we can’t run the ball. A QB’s running ability should always be prioritized over their throwing ability in this offense.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
If he does not get on the field in some capacity in the 2018 season , to show he is making progress to start in 2019, yeah I think he might consider it. If TM plays every snap ( practically ) in 2018 , like he did in 2017, then I feel LJ might want to go. Start the 2019 season with NO snaps in a game ? Why would you even do that to him if you didn't have to ? MJ subbed for JT quite a bit in 2016, when it was possible , but for some reason not much happened this year if we were way ahead ( were we ever ?) or way behind , right ? I didn't get to see but 3 games here in Wisconsin, so I might be wrong about that. I would have subbed LJ at the end of the UGA game this year.

If he transferrd that would be totally retarded...He wouldn' have any snaps under the new system period and a RS Junior. Yeah not happening

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Depends on how stubborn or frustrated our coach is next year. Usually stubborn wins. He is like the captain that goes down with the ship. 2 out of 3 with no bowl is not a stellar resume. Personally I really like PJ but things are not going well recently. Even 2014 was an alignment of good luck. A VT win due to a bad QB, a fumble by GS rather than a forward pass. Losses to UNC and Duke who weren't that good. MSU defensive coordinator leaves before our bowl. Watson pulls up lame when we play against Clemson. I do not see 2014 as a dominant performance. We had some breaks and a really good lineman plus JT at QB. He needs to make some changes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Depends on how stubborn or frustrated our coach is next year. Usually stubborn wins. He is like the captain that goes down with the ship. 2 out of 3 with no bowl is not a stellar resume. Personally I really like PJ but things are not going well recently. Even 2014 was an alignment of good luck. A VT win due to a bad QB, a fumble by GS rather than a forward pass. Losses to UNC and Duke who weren't that good. MSU defensive coordinator leaves before our bowl. Watson pulls up lame when we play against Clemson. I do not see 2014 as a dominant performance. We had some breaks and a really good lineman plus JT at QB. He needs to make some changes.
If you’re gonna list off all the good breaks in a good year, you’re gonna have to list off all the bad breaks in the bad years. We’re always gonna be on the razors edge. The kinda breaks we get decides the year.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
If he transferrd that would be totally retarded...He wouldn' have any snaps under the new system period and a RS Junior. Yeah not happening
I never said it would be a smart decision. But kids make stupid decisions all the time. My point was that when he became the backup after MJ got hurt ,if I was coaching I would have looked for a couple of spots to put him in to get his feet wet playing before a crowd. For instance the 4th quarters of the Duke and UGA games. He could have played a couple of series in both those games to show him he was on track to playing more if he hangs in there. Just a thought.