Lucas Johnson (highlights)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
So I won't scare anyone I put highlights in parentheses.

Junior year and this kid is running all over the place & still threw 25 touchdowns. This guy should have gotten more PT.

By his senior year, you can definitely tell he become more of a passer. I'm really curious to see the fit for him at GT.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow nice film. Not blazing speed, but he can run and he's very elusive. Good arm, I like his passes. Nitpicking, but his throwing motion seems a little unorthodox to me. Can't pinpoint what exactly it is; some passes seem to be more of a "sling" than a "pass". Maybe that's good, don't know a lot about being a D1 QB. But overall, very good film and I'm exited to see him in 2018!

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
He's the first QB (better than Vad Lee) under Coach Johnson that comes in with solid passing mechanics.

I think his school even ran TO, but changed due to Lucas Johnson's ability. He was under recruited because he is only 6'1 maybe 6'2 on a good day ( for four stars most QBs need to be at least 6'4)

From an Article posted when he committed:
Former NFL QB Akili Smith, who has been training quarterbacks since 2007, said he believes Johnson will be a "dynamic" college quarterback.

"He’s got all of the tools," Smith said. "He can make all of the throws, and he has the ability to pull the ball down and make plays with his legs. With his athletic ability, I don’t understand how so many schools are overlooking this kid. It’s a head-scratcher to me."

Link
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...arterback-spread-johnson-2015nov05-story.html

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
TM appears to be a talented, tough, competitive and valuable member of our program, but opponents did not fear our passing game this year, and rightly so. A 37% completion rate on so few passes won't get it done in a D1 program. Poor passing hindered our rushing game this year and will hinder our recruiting. We need a true dual QB. I hope the coaching staff comes to realize that a QB who runs, passes, distributes the ball good and manages the game satisfactorily is better in our offense than a QB who runs very well, but is seriously lacking in other areas.

GTFLETCH

Banned
TM appears to be a talented, tough, competitive and valuable member of our program, but opponents did not fear our passing game this year, and rightly so. A 37% completion rate on so few passes won't get it done in a D1 program. Poor passing hindered our rushing game this year and will hinder our recruiting. We need a true dual QB. I hope the coaching staff comes to realize that a QB who runs, passes, distributes the ball good and manages the game satisfactorily is better in our offense than a QB who runs very well, but is seriously lacking in other areas.
I think they do, I think this year was crazy at QB as MJ lost the job due to multiple injuries and TQM had more experience than LJ or TO... I would think moving FWD that LJ and TO battle in the spring and TQM will move back to AB unless LJ or TO stink it up. That being said LJ being the back up this year probably gives him an early edge on TO going to be a fun spring.

What is being lost in this is TQM is a team guy much like S. DAYS. I love the kid...all heart!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Passing stats can be misleading. We run to set up the throw most of the time. When we do that I bet TM’s passing percentage is a lot better. When we have to throw because we can’t run it’s a whole different ballgame. JT was much better in those situations but not as good as he was in play action.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think they do, I think this year was crazy at QB as MJ lost the job due to multiple injuries and TQM had more experience than LJ or TO... I would think moving FWD that LJ and TO battle in the spring and TQM will move back to AB unless LJ or TO stink it up. That being said LJ being the back up this year probably gives him an early edge on TO going to be a fun spring.

What is being lost in this is TQM is a team guy much like S. DAYS. I love the kid...all heart!
TM had reading issues too. His reads were fine when everything was blocked perfectly, but when we missed blocks or gave up ground, it threw him off his game. We need a QB who can make reads all the time not just when it’s perfect.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Passing stats can be misleading. We run to set up the throw most of the time. When we do that I bet TM’s passing percentage is a lot better. When we have to throw because we can’t run it’s a whole different ballgame. JT was much better in those situations but not as good as he was in play action.
I agree, Cheese. But both passing and running work better if the other is a CREDIBLE threat. I wish we were a little more balanced, but it's hard to argue that CPJ has been very successful when he's got all the pieces in place.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Next spring should be interesting competition at QB. If TM could improve his passing some and we have a solid OL to improve the run game we could get back to where we usually are on O........ dominate TOP , death marches, long pass plays. It's a thing of beauty.
I'm still excited about LJ , though. He should see the field next year, hopefully in mop up time. But if TM just can't get it done........
No bowl , so the dreaming starts earlier this year.......

Last edited:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He's the first QB (better than Vad Lee) under Coach Johnson that comes in with solid passing mechanics.

I think his school even ran TO, but changed due to Lucas Johnson's ability. He was under recruited because he is only 6'1 maybe 6'2 on a good day ( for four stars most QBs need to be at least 6'4)

Former NFL QB Akili Smith, who has been training quarterbacks since 2007, said he believes Johnson will be a "dynamic" college quarterback.

"He’s got all of the tools," Smith said. "He can make all of the throws, and he has the ability to pull the ball down and make plays with his legs. With his athletic ability, I don’t understand how so many schools are overlooking this kid. It’s a head-scratcher to me."

Link
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...arterback-spread-johnson-2015nov05-story.html

I've seen him. He is all the way 6'3 probably 6'4 in shoes.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
But did you see his punt though?!? Too bad that’s the only decent ST position we have covered. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Link
LJ is around 6'3

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He reminds me a bit of Lamar Jackson, though he's a step slower.

1. I think that the "sling" look is not due to bad mechanics. He has a big arm and big hands. QBs like that can look like they are slinging the ball because they don't have to put much effort into their short throws. His footwork - the ultimate tell - is pretty good. Now, if Coach can only convince him to quit carrying the ball like a loaf of bread, he'll be all set.

2. I think spring will see a real prize fight for QB. Personally, I think TM will win it. As I've said before, most of the faults he had this year - problems with reads, keeping instead of pitching, passing mechanics - were the ones Nesbitt had in his first year and are largely due to feeling the position out. But it'll be close and LJ could easily get the job. The one thing that could tip the scales his way is if he's the guy who can turn Brad Stewart into the prime WR. That's going to be job #1 for QBs in the spring, imho. He would then get a chance to show the same problems TM had this year next year. Oh, joy.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
So you think LJ would wait all of next year and transfer after TQM graduates? That wouldn't make much sense considering LJ would be the expected starter in 2019, even if he doesn't become the starter next year.
If he does not get on the field in some capacity in the 2018 season , to show he is making progress to start in 2019, yeah I think he might consider it. If TM plays every snap ( practically ) in 2018 , like he did in 2017, then I feel LJ might want to go. Start the 2019 season with NO snaps in a game ? Why would you even do that to him if you didn't have to ? MJ subbed for JT quite a bit in 2016, when it was possible , but for some reason not much happened this year if we were way ahead ( were we ever ?) or way behind , right ? I didn't get to see but 3 games here in Wisconsin, so I might be wrong about that. I would have subbed LJ at the end of the UGA game this year.