Lucas Johnson eligibility (good news)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t it LJ that took it about 80 yards down the left sideline on a RPO, in the spring game 2 years ago ? Out ran the entire defense.

LJ had a long run for a TD in every spring scrimmage he was able to participate in under CPJ. That guy can run. I don't think his short space quickness is on par with Graham (he's close to elite) and Oliver, but Johnson's ability to run is perfect for Patenaude's offensive philosophy.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This off season they sure are rotating players and postions. Maybe....

A lot of this is just insurance prep for something bad that might happen. It is another way to build depth. Getting the players aware of unexpected change just makes it easier to do if required later. This is just good coaching. It also livens up practice which can become dull from too much routine. I think the position "chaos" will be much less once the games start. This overall plan to play a lot more players (rotation) is a really good thing.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
If the offensive line is as bad as some 'analyst' are saying, playing time for multiple QB's won't be a problem.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If the offensive line is as bad as some 'analyst' are saying, playing time for multiple QB's won't be a problem.

IF the OL is bad, we'll see more quicker hitting plays. Shorter routes, and more movement by the QB to "boot" out. There are ways to negate a below average OL, but coaches will need to get creative, and there will be a LOT more need to make 1v1 plays.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What's crazy is that he's basically a senior now academically, but with sophomore eligibility. Wow

This was precisely my broader point in an earlier post vis-à-vis obligation v commitment on future status on the 85. Of course if he’s killing it then CGC will renew the scholarship up to 6 years. OTH, if he’s graduated, and Yates and/or Gleason are due a slot—why force one or the other choice of transfer v someone who’s already been paid, gotten a degree. I’m sure most here are only focused on W v L. I see this as the opportunity for the next up who are still in pursuit of a degree.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This was precisely my broader point in an earlier post vis-à-vis obligation v commitment on future status on the 85. Of course if he’s killing it then CGC will renew the scholarship up to 6 years. OTH, if he’s graduated, and Yates and/or Gleason are due a slot—why force one or the other choice of transfer v someone who’s already been paid, gotten a degree. I’m sure most here are only focused on W v L. I see this as the opportunity for the next up who are still in pursuit of a degree.

It will all depend on how he does. He has secured himself 2 years of paid grad school, assuming he does well enough for either us or another school to give him a football scholly. I just want to see what he can do.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It will all depend on how he does. He has secured himself 2 years of paid grad school, assuming he does well enough for either us or another school to give him a football scholly. I just want to see what he can do.

Well, look, that’s also my point. Is a scholarship through grad school, or thru undergrad? Is it through getting a degree, or through field time for four years? If he doesn’t cut it this year we just move on, because of course he has a degree?

Also to point as you indicated, is it just how we feel about things for as long as it works out for the fans, re W v L?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well, look, that’s also my point. Is a scholarship through grad school, or thru undergrad? Is it through getting a degree, or through field time for four years? If he doesn’t cut it this year we just move on, because of course he has a degree?

Scholarships are, typically, year to year by rule. It's the coach's decision to renew and most do as long as the student remains eligible to play which includes grad school. I imagine if LJ either doesn't win the job, or wins it and then loses it mid season he would transfer.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
Scholarships are, typically, year to year by rule. It's the coach's decision to renew and most do as long as the student remains eligible to play which includes grad school. I imagine if LJ either doesn't win the job, or wins it and then loses it mid season he would transfer.

Indeed - this falls into the category of "issues" that usually resolve themselves (or more accurately, unlikely to become an issue that needs to be resolved). If he proves to be our best QB for the next 3 years, great, everyone wins. If he doesn't and can transfer with no penalty to a school where he's likely to start, great everyone wins. If he loves GT so much he wants to stay and "play" here, and has the work ethic to do both grad school studies and team commitments even if he's not contributing on the field...well, in my mind that would be indicative of the kind of character I want on my team, and I think a lot of folks underrate (or don't think about) the value of those kinds of off the field intangibles to on field results.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Well someone will transfer at QB. Too many at the position now with lots of eligibility left.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern is lack of size at DL. Power teams will pound us inside and then play action us. Maybe with enough rotation our DL will not get totally worn out.
The clemson ol are all seniors except for one giant underclassmen.

What's interesting about clemson depth chart is lack of seniors. Besides these 4 sr on ol there are only 4 more sr on the rest of the 2 deep.
I am not expecting the dl to get much pressure on the nfl qb who plays for clemson.

I assume we will mix in blitz rather than give him 7 seconds to pass on every down. I hope we can get to him a few times.