Lucas Johnson eligibility (good news)

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Odd parallel between CPJ and Gailey: Both left GT after having signed 1 4 Star QB (CCG - Nesbitt, CPJ - Graham), and having another committed to their last class (CCG - Renfry, CPJ - Yates).

Between Lucas, Graham, Tobias, and Yates, I really think we're a lot better at QB than most people think. I also still believe the future of 2 of the QBs is at another position ultimately.
I (based off an assumption of our O)personally think Yates, Graham and Oliver don’t have the height needed to run the offense that P-node wants to run.

If we are an RPO based offense, you will need a guy that is 6’2”+ that will be able to fling it over/between the LB and DE. I honestly think Gleason could be our starter day 1 2020. He is big and FAST.

This is an assumption of how the RPO works but in my eyes you need to be able to thread a needle and quickly decide where to put the ball depending on the DE. The bigger you are the larger your window is for that quick decision.

I could be completely wrong but IMO size helps in that situation.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I hope we never have a freshman or sophomore QB. I like to see someone in the system at least two years. Rookie mistakes can cost you several games.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I (based off an assumption of our O)personally think Yates, Graham and Oliver don’t have the height needed to run the offense that P-node wants to run.

If we are an RPO based offense, you will need a guy that is 6’2”+ that will be able to fling it over/between the LB and DE. I honestly think Gleason could be our starter day 1 2020. He is big and FAST.

This is an assumption of how the RPO works but in my eyes you need to be able to thread a needle and quickly decide where to put the ball depending on the DE. The bigger you are the larger your window is for that quick decision.

actually not really at all. The dynamic of an RPO is a read; a read of the playside LB or S not DE (So first I want to correct you there; you don't even bother with the DL on RPO; its a 2nd and 3rd level progression with a pre and post snap read); and if read right the WR is going to be WAY open in the middle where the LB vacated the zone based on guessing run option; and the WR has inside leverage on the DB; there will be literally no needle to thread. This isn't a WR sitting in a zone. To even sell RPO, you need a QB that can run. Otherwise the LB will never bite and the fake handoff to the RB would just be a playaction. By nature running QB's tend to be 6-2 and less not more...and most of the best today outside of sunshine at Clemson the last few years don't break 6 feet....so really, this is an old stereotype imo.

You don't need to be tall at all in todays shotgun offenses. Its a rumor of the past. Some of the most prolific slingers are 6 foot and shorter. Look who just went 1 overall in the NFL draft as a QB and his height; and the year before; Tua at bama etc..... He ran a ton of RPO at oklahoma; in fact some at OK will tell you almost all their plays had RPO in it. Fact is today, the QB spot is all about dual threat, accuracy, reads etc. Now of course, if a manning comes along etc, thats great, I am speaking on the generality of the position in the NCAA today and how we see it literally transitioning the NFL.

Of course, you use gleason as an example, who is only 6-1 and a dual threat, that is not tall by old qb means and fits more todays mold. So you may be right in guessing gleason, but its not because of height mind you. In fact lucas johnson is taller. Point is, no one is hung up on this measurable like they used to be IMO and RPO makes it easier for shorter QB's not harder by nature of its design to get guys wide open on leveraged matchups.

GTFootball2018

Georgia Tech Fan

Lucas is big and fast as well...just under 6’4” and has track speed...even after his injury. Staying healthy...no way a true freshman will replace him first day in 2020...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why you think he wouldn’t count against the 85 in 2021. Can’t think of any reason he wouldn’t. But it won’t make a difference in our 2019/2020 numbers as he was already expected to be here. Which is maybe what you meant to say.

Smh

My post was simply a statement of fact in response to a question. I wasn't saying that I think he won't be here but that GT is not obligated to give him a scholarship for each year of eligibility.

For example, LJ could play great and get drafted to the NFL after this year or next. He is also a RS Jr this year and may graduate in the Spring. He could decide to take a job or transfer for grad school elsewhere. In each of these cases, LJ would not count against our 85 in 2021.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
Odd parallel between CPJ and Gailey: Both left GT after having signed 1 4 Star QB (CCG - Nesbitt, CPJ - Graham), and having another committed to their last class (CCG - Renfry, CPJ - Yates).

Between Lucas, Graham, Tobias, and Yates, I really think we're a lot better at QB than most people think. I also still believe the future of 2 of the QBs is at another position ultimately.

Justin Thomas was also a 4 star (not positive, but pretty sure he was the highest rated signee of CPJ's tenure according to at least 1 site)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Smh

My post was simply a statement of fact in response to a question. I wasn't saying that I think he won't be here but that GT is not obligated to give him a scholarship for each year of eligibility.

For example, LJ could play great and get drafted to the NFL after this year or next. He is also a RS Jr this year and may graduate in the Spring. He could decide to take a job or transfer for grad school elsewhere. In each of these cases, LJ would not count against our 85 in 2021.

He just got his 6th year granted. Meaning he’s back to being a RS-SO as it pertains to eligibility. That’s what that means.

Deleted member 2897

3 more years of LJ, TO, JG, Yates and Gleason?!?! Not trying to be negative here but that’s a lot of QB’s to keep happy in college football.

Well remember, things happen. In about 12 months, we lost something like 3 of our top 4 quarterbacks - Jay Jones, Lucas Johnson, Matthew Jordan. TO will likely take a Matthew Jordan type role - limited spot calls. Yates and Gleason will likely redshirt and season for a year each. And there are unfortunately always injuries. Not even worried about transfers yet.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
All the reports I'm seeing lead to believe Johnson is the #1 right now. Oliver probably second and Graham third, mainly because the other two have had more reps, even if only at practice. If Johnson stays healthy and emerges as the clear #1 QB for the season and has success, I can see TO and Graham possibly moving into APB or slot receiver roles moving forward, with Yates and Gleason moving in behind the veteran Johnson.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All the reports I'm seeing lead to believe Johnson is the #1 right now. Oliver probably second and Graham third, mainly because the other two have had more reps, even if only at practice. If Johnson stays healthy and emerges as the clear #1 QB for the season and has success, I can see TO and Graham possibly moving into APB or slot receiver roles moving forward, with Yates and Gleason moving in behind the veteran Johnson.

Remember, Tobias repped at DB during the spring. He was actually rated higher as WR recruit coming out of HS...would like to see what he could do there, but he's got great size to be a DB.

Graham is a better passer than I thought, and he's got special speed and athleticism. Would not surprise me to see him in the Nesbitt role under Gailey. Also wouldn't surprise me to see a package designed for him so Patenaude can use Graham's skillset to his advantage.

I really think we have enough pieces to be a good offense, it's just a matter of coaches finding ways to utilize them. Patenaude has broken records at every school he's been an OC, so I think he's going to be a better than expected OC for us.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

I would be willing to bet TO is going to get snaps, maybe with a specific package of plays. He is just too dangerous running the football to keep on the sideline the whole game.

Of course, as I type this, I see @Techster 's post pop up right above mine, and he makes a case for JG playing that role, too. We definitely have *ahem* options...

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember, Tobias repped at DB during the spring. He was actually rated higher as WR recruit coming out of HS...would like to see what he could do there, but he's got great size to be a DB.

Graham is a better passer than I thought, and he's got special speed and athleticism. Would not surprise me to see him in the Nesbitt role under Gailey. Also wouldn't surprise me to see a package designed for him so Patenaude can use Graham's skillset to his advantage.

I really think we have enough pieces to be a good offense, it's just a matter of coaches finding ways to utilize them. Patenaude has broken records at every school he's been an OC, so I think he's going to be a better than expected OC for us.
Yeah but I think we're pretty stacked right now at DB especially with the commits and transfers. I think an APB role would suit him well, as he could still throw the ball from a sweep or toss play.