Lucas Johnson eligibility (good news)

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
I would be willing to bet TO is going to get snaps, maybe with a specific package of plays. He is just too dangerous running the football to keep on the sideline the whole game.

Of course, as I type this, I see @Techster 's post pop up right above mine, and he makes a case for JG playing that role, too. We definitely have *ahem* options...
I agree with all of this, but I think it's going to come down to more than just physical talent. I think LJ makes the better reads, audibles, and check downs.

bos

Helluva Engineer
This is good news. Insane that all the QBs on the roster are either Freshmen or Sophomore now. There is plenty of time for them to learn the new scheme. If Lucas wins the job and keep it, we'll definitely see some transfers after this season.

However, Graham and Oliver could also switch positions if they are ok with it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but I think we're pretty stacked right now at DB especially with the commits and transfers. I think an APB role would suit him well, as he could still throw the ball from a sweep or toss play.

Good point abou the DB depth.

Our DB depth is going to be insane soon. Pretty much "factory" level.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
He just got his 6th year granted. Meaning he’s back to being a RS-SO as it pertains to eligibility. That’s what that means.

This is exactly what I've been saying.

tenor.gif

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
This is good news. Insane that all the QBs on the roster are either Freshmen or Sophomore now. There is plenty of time for them to learn the new scheme. If Lucas wins the job and keep it, we'll definitely see some transfers after this season.
I surely hope not. Some of our team's best talent is slotted at QB right now. I'd hate to lose those guys because LJ won the job. Hopefully we can find usefulness for the somewhere else. Also a plus, CGC preaches flexibility and giving guys the best chance to make it to the next level. I'm not sure right now what kind of QB Graham will be, because all we know is his raw talent, but I doubt TO makes an NFL roster at QB. I think both of these guys could easily get into the league at other positions with their natural talent (plus the right coaching ;)).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Could all 3 play significant downs at qb , if each brings thier own set of plays that they are masters at executing. Will we change formations to make that happen. ?
Jumbo package , air raid, I formation, wildcat, others.
Each would have option for pass ,

Chaos on offense ( in a good way)?

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Could all 3 play significant downs at qb , if each brings thier own set of plays that they are masters at executing. Will we change formations to make that happen. ?

That is certainly an offseason idea.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

I’d say it’s more likely that if LJ was to win the starting job the coaches would look for opportunities to put Graham and Oliver on the field at different spots. This lets you take advantage of these guys natural athleticism at RB/WR as well as enabling all sorts of trickeration with QB-level arms at various positions.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Lucas is big and fast as well...just under 6’4” and has track speed...even after his injury. Staying healthy...no way a true freshman will replace him first day in 2020...

Wasn’t it LJ that took it about 80 yards down the left sideline on a RPO, in the spring game 2 years ago ? Out ran the entire defense.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this ultimately means TO moves to defense and Graham will be at another position. If neither gets to play they will transfer, especially Graham as hard as he’s worked in the classroom

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
Wasn’t it LJ that took it about 80 yards down the left sideline on a RPO, in the spring game 2 years ago ? Out ran the entire defense.

I think a lot of folks really underrate LJ athletically relative to Graham and Oliver. Those two are both obviously great athletes, but there's not much of a gap to LJ. I'd mentioned in a prior thread a family member is a HS coach who spent some time with our staff and watch a practice in the spring. One of his comments to me was "that #7 at QB can really move." He didn't know who was who out there, so he didn't know who he was commenting on (he had other comments about #8, Oliver, as well, so it's not like he didn't see him for comparison).

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think this ultimately means TO moves to defense and Graham will be at another position. If neither gets to play they will transfer, especially Graham as hard as he’s worked in the classroom

Ultimately, yeah, I can see one or both switching positions, particularly once Yates learns the offense and Gleason arrives on campus. For the moment, though, at least one of them has to stay at QB, else your backups are a true freshman and a walk-on.