Lucas Johnson eligibility (good news)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

“It’s crazy because, honestly, I forgot about (the anniversary) until my mom sent me a text and it was like, you know what (Sunday) is?” Johnson said. “And I was like, oh, yeah, it is. It’s just crazy to see how far I’ve come. Last year around this time, I was really down. But I’ve just put in a lot of hard work with the training staff and all the coaches and it feels good to be out there again.”

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Also not to be missed:
And then, with the coaching transition from Paul Johnson to Geoff Collins, he has appeared to have gained the inside track to be the starter for the Yellow Jackets and become a recognized team leader.
Tech’s first game is 16 days from Tuesday, at defending national champion Clemson. Johnson likely will take the first snap. It’s a long way from season-ending surgery and an uncertain career path.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
3 more years of LJ, TO, JG, Yates and Gleason?!?! Not trying to be negative here but that’s a lot of QB’s to keep happy in college football.

This was my thought too, I’m really happy for LJ and if he ends up being good enough to start the next 3 years then awesome, but that would have to mean you would see at least 1 of Gleason/Yates probably transfer out. But I don’t think LJ beats out everyone for the next 3 years IMO.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
3 more years of LJ, TO, JG, Yates and Gleason?!?! Not trying to be negative here but that’s a lot of QB’s to keep happy in college football.

Better problem to have than the alternative, as we saw the last 2 yrs. If Lucas doesn't win/hold the job past this year, he can grad transfer with 2 years left. Lets see how Lucas does on the field and whether Yates can push him for the job. Gleason still has a senior season of High School to worry about. It will shake out however it shakes out, but we have options now. Collins will keep recruiting QBs, too, regardless of who starts. Just the way it is now.

Last edited:

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
This is excellent news. This just gives him a chance to get more tape of himself against top competition. And hopefully he can increase his chances of being a professional QB at the next level. Very happy for the young man and his family.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
No. It gives lj eligibility but does not bind GT.

Not sure why you think he wouldn’t count against the 85 in 2021. Can’t think of any reason he wouldn’t. But it won’t make a difference in our 2019/2020 numbers as he was already expected to be here. Which is maybe what you meant to say.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Odd parallel between CPJ and Gailey: Both left GT after having signed 1 4 Star QB (CCG - Nesbitt, CPJ - Graham), and having another committed to their last class (CCG - Renfry, CPJ - Yates).

Between Lucas, Graham, Tobias, and Yates, I really think we're a lot better at QB than most people think. I also still believe the future of 2 of the QBs is at another position ultimately.