Loyola Chicago (8) vs. Georgia Tech (9), Friday, 4pm ET, TBS

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There are 357 teams. The models take into account not only the changing results of everyone you played but everyone your opponents played.

It isn't as simple as who won one game. That isn't irrational, it is complicated.

Looking at the individual game stats, we gave up 1.09 points per possession vs. FSU so that probably hurt our defensive efficiency.

The Big Ten has 6 of the top 30 teams in kenpom. NET isn't as good as there are political influences in the model. It is still way better than RPI, which isn't a model at all.
Yeah but I have to say, if you win and your ranking drops, then the way they do the ranking is irrational by definition, since the object of playing the game is to win.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Time to fire up the ol' burner account on twitter to spam rumors about his job status out there before friday.

...and there it is, GTSwarmers. KG has now fully admitted to having Twitter after years of mounting evidence, and contradictory statements. We all knew his denials were hollow.

KG, being dishonest about Twitter and having bad tastes in ice cream is NOT a good look, bro....

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I agree that putting Krutwig in the PnR will present some problems, but I think he'll be able to hold up ok. Not great, but ok. And I can live with that.

I have two questions for you, or anyone who has seen most of the Loyola games this year. How are your perimeter defenders that aren't Uguak and Williamson, particularly in terms of on ball defense? The second is how often do y'all switch screens vs play through (over or under). I ask because I feel like that is really the area we will look to exploit either through direct match ups or trying to get a switch onto Jose and let him go to work.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
...and there it is, GTSwarmers. KG has now fully admitted to having Twitter after years of mounting evidence, and contradictory statements. We all knew his denials were hollow.

KG, being dishonest about Twitter and having bad tastes in ice cream is NOT a good look, bro....

Guys, guys ... let's turn our attention to the important things. The dance-off between Sister Jean and the Mag City gurls.

Rambergler

Georgia Tech Fan
I have two questions for you, or anyone who has seen most of the Loyola games this year. How are your perimeter defenders that aren't Uguak and Williamson, particularly in terms of on ball defense? The second is how often do y'all switch screens vs play through (over or under). I ask because I feel like that is really the area we will look to exploit either through direct match ups or trying to get a switch onto Jose and let him go to work.
Good question. Solid, if a little undersized. We switch damn near everything, so if you get a bigger guard on norris or clemons it would probably be a mismatch (norris especially, he looks like he's about 16). Kennedy has the size and tools but hasn't quite put it all together. But, that's somewhat mitigated by strong help defense, tight rotations and quick recoveries. You didn't ask, but further to that, the other core tenent aside from switching is getting back to limit transition opportunities. That's another area they excel in. It's not often I saw the ramblers get completely scrambled on defense this season, whether in a set D or in transition.

Deleted member 2897

Here is the non-alternative fact version of history

Conf
Overall
TeamWLPCTWLPCT
No. 6 Duke133.813316.838
No. 15 NC State115.6882110.677
No. 17 Wake Forest97.5632110.677
No. 14 Georgia Tech97.5632810.737
No. 18 North Carolina88.5001911.633
No. 19 Maryland79.4382012.625
Florida State610.3751914.576
Virginia610.3751813.581
Clemson313.1881018.357

Sorry, when I went to pull up the 2004 season, the chart I apparently pulled up was for the 2004-2005 year. Just went back and looked.

EDIT/ADD below:

I will say its interesting to note that the OOC regular season records were things like 10-5, 12-3, 14-2, 11-3, 13-3, 13-4 in 2003-2004 just walking down the list.

This year the OOC regular season records are 5-2, 4-2, 6-2, 4-2, 6-0, 6-3, 5-1. Its hard to see a material difference other than the fact we all missed a lot of potentially easy wins.

That season our OOC win percentage on the top several teams was 0.78. This year it was 0.75. I still don't see evidence our conference is way off this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, when I went to pull up the 2004 season, the chart I apparently pulled up was for the 2004-2005 year. Just went back and looked.

EDIT/ADD below:

I will say its interesting to note that the OOC regular season records were things like 10-5, 12-3, 14-2, 11-3, 13-3, 13-4 in 2003-2004 just walking down the list.

This year the OOC regular season records are 5-2, 4-2, 6-2, 4-2, 6-0, 6-3, 5-1. Its hard to see a material difference other than the fact we all missed a lot of potentially easy wins.

That season our OOC win percentage on the top several teams was 0.78. This year it was 0.75. I still don't see evidence our conference is way off this year.
To finish the thought on 2005, while not nearly as dominant as 2004, the ACC was still first in kenpom. 5 out of 11 teams were in the kenpom top 25.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Good question. Solid, if a little undersized. We switch damn near everything, so if you get a bigger guard on norris or clemons it would probably be a mismatch (norris especially, he looks like he's about 16). Kennedy has the size and tools but hasn't quite put it all together. But, that's somewhat mitigated by strong help defense, tight rotations and quick recoveries. You didn't ask, but further to that, the other core tenent aside from switching is getting back to limit transition opportunities. That's another area they excel in. It's not often I saw the ramblers get completely scrambled on defense this season, whether in a set D or in transition.
Appreciate the response. Good luck in the tourney (if we can’t pull off the W, I’ll be pulling for you all in the game against Illinois).

It will be interesting to see if the switching is something we can exploit. We have ran almost two separate sets with either a lot of motion or just straight 1v1 matchups depending on the game and situation so I’m excited to see what we roll out.

Transition has been a big part of our offense as well so it’ll be interesting to see if we can pick you all off or if it grinds into two slow, methodical teams playing good team D.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck

EDIT/ADD below:

Those records all include NCAA tourney losses too.

Deleted member 2897

Thank you for your participation on our board, and best of luck in the tournament. May the best team lose! 😃

Deleted member 2897

Those records all include NCAA tourney losses too.

And wins. I didn’t want to spend the time to try and go back and ferret all that out perfectly, but tried to at least somewhat. The flip side of hat is that we all missed several OOC games this year that we would have won most of. We kept the most difficult Big Ten/ACC challenge, but several other games were cut.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I dunno, doesn't their defensive philosophy play into our offensive strengths? If they stay home on three point shooters and funnel teams into tough two point finishes, isn't that what we do best? It seems to me that our first choice is for our guards to get into the lane. Devoe, Alvarado, Usher, Sturdivant (and even Moore lately going hard to his right)...they all seem to like to make acrobatic finishes on drives. Most ACC teams were dedicated to making us beat them from three, but they all had big rim protectors (FSU, Duke, Miami, UVA all had big, long shot blocking Centers).

If they are a slow tempo team, can we send additional players for offensive rebounds? We typically don't send anyone to the offensive boards, choosing to get back. Can we potentially speed them up by sending more guys to the offensive glass?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jason Horowitz just said it’s a 50% chance we’re even able to play our game tomorrow. Wtf

Pastner indicating that we will be playing unless something crazy just popped in the last few hours:

Pastner said the person is isolated in Indianapolis. However, Pastner also said that the rest of the group “is good to move forward and we’re full throttle and ready to play Friday.”

Pastner said abnormalities were found in their postgame testing Saturday after Georgia Tech won the ACC championship in Greensboro, N.C. He said it was investigated “as thoroughly as you can imagine investigating something,” and his team was cleared to travel Sunday to Indiana. Pastner added that, following the clearance, he still had two members of the travel party traveled to Indianapolis separately from the rest of the group “just out of an abundance of caution, to be extra careful.”

Last part scares me...

You know UGA is feeling *something* right about now.

No tournament appearance, bought a falling knife in Crean, and now all of Atlanta has joined the ACC Champion GT train to Indianapolis.
The increasingly LOUSY Augusta paper, which still hasn't had a single thing in it about Tech's ACC championship, had an inane article last week saying how the mutts were "PRAYING FOR AN NIT BID". Well, I guess the Good Lord said no to their "prayers", because they didn't get that NIT bid. Bwah-ha-ha. THWG !!!