Loyola Chicago (8) vs. Georgia Tech (9), Friday, 4pm ET, TBS

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech now +3. Really? Must be early, double fisted Loyola fans willing to pay the price later!!!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I'm tired of all this LUC crap. If we lose, too bad. But, there's no way we should lose. LUC is a nice team that has not been tested this year. They played 1 team with the talent level approaching GT this year (Wisconsin) and they lost. This team might have gone undefeated against that schedule, and wouldn't have needed overtime to beat Southern Illinois. We had two aberrant games at the beginning of the season because of the way we were practicing with COVID protocols. This is silly. No one knows if LUC is good enough to hang with the big boys because there were no OOC games where they got to face off against the more talented teams. They could beat us; but, there's NO WAY anyone should think they will outside of their own fanbase.

Deleted member 2897

Okay, I'm tired of all this LUC crap. If we lose, too bad. But, there's no way we should lose. LUC is a nice team that has not been tested this year. They played 1 team with the talent level approaching GT this year (Wisconsin) and they lost. This team might have gone undefeated against that schedule, and wouldn't have needed overtime to beat Southern Illinois. We had two aberrant games at the beginning of the season because of the way we were practicing with COVID protocols. This is silly. No one knows if LUC is good enough to hang with the big boys because there were no OOC games where they got to face off against the more talented teams. They could beat us; but, there's NO WAY anyone should think they will outside of their own fanbase.

At the same time, there are teams like LUC every year that make a run in the tournament. 7 of their 8 main players are seniors. They've won something like 20 of their last 22. Some teams just have winning in their DNA. Woulda shoulda coulda time and matchups on paper have come to an end. Time to survive and advance.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
LUC Regular SeasonGeorgia Tech Regular Season
Lewis UniversityGeorgia State
Chicago StateMercer
University of Illinois ChicagoKentucky (Ranked)
Wisconsin (LOSS)Nebraska
Richmond (LOSS)Florida State (Ranked)
St. Francis (Illinois)Florida A&M
Illinois StateDelaware State
North TexasWake Forest
Indiana State (LOSS)Clemson (Ranked)
Indiana StateVirginia (Ranked)
Northern IowaDuke
Northern IowaFlorida State
Missouri StateLouisville
Missouri StateNotre Dame
EvansvilleClemson
EvansvilleVirginia (Ranked)
DrakeMiami
Drake (LOSS)University of North Carolina
ValparaisoVirginia Tech
Southern IllinoisSyracuse
Southern IllinoisDuke
Wake Forest

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
At the same time, there are teams like LUC every year that make a run in the tournament. 7 of their 8 main players are seniors. They've won something like 20 of their last 22. Some teams just have winning in their DNA. Woulda shoulda coulda time and matchups on paper have come to an end. Time to survive and advance.
You miss my point. Those teams usually show something early when they actually play the big boys. Because of this year, they didn't. So, no one knows if they're a challenger or just one of the best of the little brothers. Compare the schedules. Who's been tested? Who's proven their mettle? One team is getting major disrespect for what they actually accomplished on the floor. One team still has much to prove.

Deleted member 2897

You miss my point. Those teams usually show something early when they actually play the big boys. Because of this year, they didn't. So, no one knows if they're a challenger or just one of the best of the little brothers. Compare the schedules. Who's been tested? Who's proven their mettle? One team is getting major disrespect for what they actually accomplished on the floor. One team still has much to prove.

The last high seed to make it far was #12 Oregon 2 years ago - made the final 8. They played in a pathetic Pac12 conference that only sent 3 teams to the tournament. Their only “quality” win was a pedestrian 20-14 Syracuse team. And they made the final 8. It happens.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Interesting data to look at. Loyola lost to Wisconsin. Wisconsin is KenPom #10 (Loyola #9 :unsure:) and NCAA Net #27 (Loyola #10...again :unsure:).

Common opponent for GT and Wisconsin is Nebraska (KP#95, NCAA#126). GT and Wisconsin beat Nebraska pretty handily. Wisconsin beat Loyola pretty handily.

Obviously the common opponent theorem is foolish in sports, but always interesting to look at.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
The last high seed to make it far was #12 Oregon 2 years ago - made the final 8. They played in a pathetic Pac12 conference that only sent 3 teams to the tournament. Their only “quality” win was a pedestrian 20-14 Syracuse team. And they made the final 8. It happens.
Oregon only made the Sweet 16 that year. Loyola was the last double digit seed to make the Elite 8 and Final Four.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
So, are Josh's grandparents going to attend the game? We need a counter-weight to Sister Jean.

We've got a counter weight already:

1615939892490.png

/

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
tell it brother - i'm with you

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know - How about Josh's grandparents in matching face shields?

But looking forward to seeing Sister Jean at courtside. Pretty neat that she's going to be there.
I'd be rooting for the Ramblers if they were playing anybody but the Jackets.

The Sister Jean gimmick is the equivalent of someone wheeling their grandmother in front of a long line to get everyone's sympathy so they can cut to the front.

All kidding aside, I hope Sister Jean a long life, but a very sad Friday after the game.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, I'm tired of all this LUC crap.

We know they play fine team defense. But that still means they have to hold-up in their one on one match-ups. If our guards can get into the paint, then they either have sag down off of perimeter shooters to help or they hope their big Center can clean it up (like we saw from Duke, FSU and Miami). If they do some form of pack-line collapse, then we have seen that kind of zone before and have been able to handle it (Syracuse, VT and to some extent against UVA).

So, the fine point of the matter is whether their defense can keep our guards from beating their match-ups at the top. If they can do that, then we will try to run the offense thru Moses in the high post. For them to effectively defend that, their big Center will have to be able to keep Moses Wright in front of him. If they Double Moses at the top, that will leave an open cutter.

The slow tempo is of no concern as we have been comfortable playing slow.

We can expect that they won't beat themselves. They will not break down defensively. But they still have to keep Devoe, Alvarado, Sturdivant and Usher in front of them and we haven't seen a team be able to that consistently. The best defense we have seen has been UVA and we remained competitive with them.

I understand the virtues of cohesive team defense, but it seems to me that the type of defense that GT is most vulnerable to is from those teams that defend the rim with a big, athletic, shot-blocking Center. I have yet to see a team that has been able to stuff our guards at the point of attack, whether it be a zone or man-to-man. If that is the cornerstone of their defensive approach, then I think we will have the advantage. Once our guards break down the initial defender, then it is all about if the defense can rotate faster than the offense can move the ball. If they are reluctant to leave corner shooters, then that leaves more room for Wright to operate in the paint. Most teams have intentionally left our wing spot-up shooters open by design as the best percentage move.

Maybe they play team defense on an order that we have not seen this year. And maybe we will see our team frustrated for the first time since the Mercer game. But I tend to think that our guard heavy, penetrating attack and ability to finish drives against athletic defenders is a poor match-up for them.

While I expect a highly competitive game, I think we win by 10+

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, Louisville held us to 37% shooting and stuffed us pretty good. I don't know if L-C can replicate that ind of D.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We know they play fine team defense. But that still means they have to hold-up in their one on one match-ups. If our guards can get into the paint, then they either have sag down off of perimeter shooters to help or they hope their big Center can clean it up (like we saw from Duke, FSU and Miami). If they do some form of pack-line collapse, then we have seen that kind of zone before and have been able to handle it (Syracuse, VT and to some extent against UVA).

So, the fine point of the matter is whether their defense can keep our guards from beating their match-ups at the top. If they can do that, then we will try to run the offense thru Moses in the high post. For them to effectively defend that, their big Center will have to be able to keep Moses Wright in front of him. If they Double Moses at the top, that will leave an open cutter.

The slow tempo is of no concern as we have been comfortable playing slow.

We can expect that they won't beat themselves. They will not break down defensively. But they still have to keep Devoe, Alvarado, Sturdivant and Usher in front of them and we haven't seen a team be able to that consistently. The best defense we have seen has been UVA and we remained competitive with them.

I understand the virtues of cohesive team defense, but it seems to me that the type of defense that GT is most vulnerable to is from those teams that defend the rim with a big, athletic, shot-blocking Center. I have yet to see a team that has been able to stuff our guards at the point of attack, whether it be a zone or man-to-man. If that is the cornerstone of their defensive approach, then I think we will have the advantage. Once our guards break down the initial defender, then it is all about if the defense can rotate faster than the offense can move the ball. If they are reluctant to leave corner shooters, then that leaves more room for Wright to operate in the paint. Most teams have intentionally left our wing spot-up shooters open by design as the best percentage move.

Maybe they play team defense on an order that we have not seen this year. And maybe we will see our team frustrated for the first time since the Mercer game. But I tend to think that our guard heavy, penetrating attack and ability to finish drives against athletic defenders is a poor match-up for them.

While I expect a highly competitive game, I think we win by 10+

Book this: Usher is gonna have a great game.

There are GT fans on here that still don't want to give Usher the credit, but he has elite level athleticism and his basketball skills are just now starting to catch up. Some of the stuff he does to get to the rim and around the rim (OUTSIDE of his dunks) are NBA level. He's a streaky shooter, but when he's on, the rest of his game gets elevated. Usher is a completely different player at this point of the season...and by different, I mean his basketball ability is just starting to awaken on the same level that Moses "awakened" toward the end of last season. He's been playing with a lot of confidence lately, and he's the type of player that thrives in a big game atmosphere (seriously, look at his best games this year, dude has been excellent against the top teams we've played against). Guess what? It doesn't get much bigger than the NCAAT!

Nothing against Loyola, I've watched a few of their games today, and they haven't seen an athlete or the havoc level Usher can bring from anyone on the schedule this year. There are some players that can wreck whatever defense you put out there, and Usher has become one of those players for us.

As I said earlier in this thread, we have 4 legit guys who can bring it now. GT has 4 players who have the ability to score 15+ points...and all 4 players can do it at the same time as well. I'd love to see the stat on how many teams have that level of scoring from 4 players. Our guys did it against ACC level competition.

I've been a bit nervous about Loyola all week (they are a GOOD team), but there's a part of me that thinks playing in a ringer the last month against some really good teams has masked how good of a team we really are.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a different take on the immovable object meets irresistible force motif.

Psychologically, Tech fans are used to seeing defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. We are just paranoid that way. Loyola is a good team. We are justified in being nervous. National pundits are dismissing our chances.

On the other hand. We are more than just a scrappy team, more than just a blue collar lunch pail team. We are a good team. We have at least three players (I’m being conservative) who have proven they can take over a game and will us to a win.

If we lose it will be because Loyola is good and it was their night (afternoon) to win.

But I don’t think we are going to lose. We are more than a tough out now. We are a good team.