Loyola Chicago (8) vs. Georgia Tech (9), Friday, 4pm ET, TBS

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You didn't ask, but further to that, the other core tenent aside from switching is getting back to limit transition opportunities. That's another area they excel in.

That's interesting. While looking at the matchup I notice Loyola was okay but not great in TO% coming it at 18.5 for about 150th which is overall on the good side of center but still middle of the road. The overall numbers are probably low due to pace, but I do think there is an opportunity to get some turnovers. Of course not all turnovers lead to transition opportunities (nor do all transition opportunities come from turnovers) but we really aren't that much of a push the tempo off of made or missed shots.

I went back and looked at our games against UVA who is another slow tempo team, and 15th in TO% at 15.2. The first time we played them on the road we turned them over just 9 times which is right at their average rate. The second time we turned them over 17 times which was by far their worst turnover rate of the year. If you get 65 possessions which is about the midpoint between our two rates, and turn it over at the rate you average it'd be about 12 turnovers total. If it's the rate we average forcing it'd be about 15 turnovers. Obviously turnovers aren't the most reliable stat and there can easily be outlier games, but I would expect somewhere in that neighborhood of turnovers.

Now the key is will they be open floor turnovers leading to easy buckets, or dead ball turnovers so we still have to go against a set D.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Krutwig named AP 3rd Team All-American.

No ACC players on the three teams.

I saw that. I guess the NCAAT will either confirm or disprove this list.

I find it hard to believe no acc player was good enough to even be third team.

Deleted member 2897

I saw that. I guess the NCAAT will either confirm or disprove this list.

I find it hard to believe no acc player was good enough to even be third team.

Looking at the 3rd team:
Davion Mitchell, Baylor: 14.1 pts, 5.4 assists, 2.6 rebounds
Quentin Grimes, Houston: 18.0 pts, 6.0 rebounds, 1.9 assists
Herb Jones, 11.2 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.4 assists
Cameron Krutwig, Loyola Chicago: 15.0 points, 6.7 rebounds, 3.0 assists
Chris Duarte, Oregon: 16.7 points, 4.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists

Comparing to the ACC:
6 players scored more than everyone on this list except Quentin Grimes. 2 scored more than all these guys.
13 players averaged more rebounds than everyone on this list.
8 players averaged more assists than everyone on this list except Davion Mitchell. And 2 guys averaged more assists than all of them.

There is obviously overlap between the players too. Compare any of these to this 3rd team all american list:
Moses Wright, Georgia Tech: 17.0 points per game, 8.0 rebounds per game, 2.3 assists per game, 53% FG, 1.7 blocks per game, 1.5 steals per game
Justin Champagnie, Pittsburgh: 18.0 points per game, 11.1 rebounds per game, 1.6 assists per game, 48% FG, 1.3 blocks per game
Matthew Hurt, Duke: 18.3 points per game, 6.2 rebounds per game, 1.4 assists per game, 56% FG

All 3 of these guys are better than 5 out of 6 key metrics of everyone on that list.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I dunno, doesn't their defensive philosophy play into our offensive strengths? If they stay home on three point shooters and funnel teams into tough two point finishes, isn't that what we do best? It seems to me that our first choice is for our guards to get into the lane. Devoe, Alvarado, Usher, Sturdivant (and even Moore lately going hard to his right)...they all seem to like to make acrobatic finishes on drives. Most ACC teams were dedicated to making us beat them from three, but they all had big rim protectors (FSU, Duke, Miami, UVA all had big, long shot blocking Centers).

This was one of my first thoughts after watching/hearing Sperber breakdown their defensive philosophy and rules. If they stay on 3pt shooters, avoiding help/scrambles, and instead try to "wall up" at the rim... that makes sense against MVC competition (generally speaking), but that is ideal for us. Of course, any college staff can see these things and the matchups and make adjustments/tweaks to the base defense. Loyola ain't gonna be hugging Khalid in the corner while watching Jose et al drive to the rim sans help.

Conversely, if Loyola plays on-ball "contain" and goes under alot of ball screens to try to entice long pull-up 2s (per Sperber), I think 7 of our 8 (not Howard) have shown a willingness to be baited into pull-up long 2s throughout this season at various times. I keep coming back (in my mind) to shot selection as a key. Can GT be disciplined in its shot selection. We were phenomenally disciplined in our shot selection vs Syracuse - we did not settle for jump shots, we attacked the paint and the rim all night. I'm hoping we do the same vs Loyola. (Obviously the Cuse def system is different, but the key was to not settle for outside shots.)

(I'm referencing Sperber because he does not make those deep-dive videos or conduct those analyses based on small sample size. He watches alot of games and breaks down alot of film to produce just a 10-15 minute deep-dive video and analysis. I have only watched a small sample of Loyola myself, so I'm trusting Sperber.)

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
This was one of my first thoughts after watching/hearing Sperber breakdown their defensive philosophy and rules. If they stay on 3pt shooters, avoiding help/scrambles, and instead try to "wall up" at the rim... that makes sense against MVC competition (generally speaking), but that is ideal for us. Of course, any college staff can see these things and the matchups and make adjustments/tweaks to the base defense. Loyola ain't gonna be hugging Khalid in the corner while watching Jose et al drive to the rim sans help.

They are a Virginia mini-me.

The obvious concern is we didn't beat Virginia this year... :( Except they don't have the athletes and play-makers that Virginia does.

I expect to see more Kyle and Bubba - and less Khalid/Howard.

/

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
When you go down the rabbit hole of Twitter, you get stuff like this LOL:

I think by "rabbit hole of twitter" you actually mean, techster chattin' up some random hottie in da club. Is your pinky out the whole time, bro?

Anyways, I don't have twitter so I guess it doesn't matter to me.

On to some actual news, here's more positive press ...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/5-cind...ust-your-march-madness-bracket-150056533.html

No. 9 Georgia Tech

Record: 17-8

Midwest region

Josh Pastner’s defense is going to rattle a lot of teams in the tournament. It starts out as a one-three-one half-court set, then switches to a three-two matchup-zone that sometimes turns into man-to-man, all morphed into one defense.

“When you play Georgia Tech, you have to accept that you’ll be running your secondary offense all game long,” One ACC assistant told Yahoo Sports. “I could see them surprising a lot of teams in the tournament.”

Georgia Tech beat Florida State to win the ACC tournament and forced FSU to turn the ball over 24 times. ACC defensive player of the year Jose Alvarado had five steals and added 13 points in the win. The Yellow Jackets also have the ACC player of the year, Moses Wright, who averaged 17.4 points and 8 rebounds per game. Georgia Tech hasn’t lost a game since Feb. 14 and are a dangerous defensive team for Illinois, Tennessee and Oklahoma State in the Midwest region.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I like our chances, just watched extended highlights from Wisconsin game and the most recent Drake game. I feel like we can attack them offensively and have success with 3's, Moses in the paint, and Usher/Devoe driving in. I also think we'll have some success on transition baskets as well. I like our defense as well, think we will give them fits with what we do. I think Krutwig will still have a decent day offensively though, as many have mentioned, he's a really smart player. Again I also think Moses will have success against him offensively.

I actually feel pretty good about this game now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thank God this isn't cycling where the entire team is disqualified for 2 positive on cyclists or support staff.

Whoever this was, it wasn't a player as only two are involved and the players were sort of playing together without masks. If it had been 8 or 10, I'd be worried.

BTW, just signed up for my first COVID shot tomorrow and couldn't be more stoked. Gonna make the ACC baseball tourney for sure! :)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ken really needs to give a thought to his semantics. “One member of the travel party has tested positive...more to come” can have a particularly unpleasant interpretation...
I understand your point, but anytime he posts something early while still trying to get the rest of the story he tacks that phrase on the end. He probably never gave a thought as to the possible double meaning.

Deleted member 2897

I understand your point, but anytime he posts something early while still trying to get the rest of the story he tacks that phrase on the end. He probably never gave a thought as to the possible double meaning.

I don’t think when he gives us his typical back handed compliments he realizes it either. It’s just how his brain works.