Loyola Chicago (8) vs. Georgia Tech (9), Friday, 4pm ET, TBS

Deleted member 2897

Here’s a different take on the immovable object meets irresistible force motif.

Psychologically, Tech fans are used to seeing defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. We are just paranoid that way. Loyola is a good team. We are justified in being nervous. National pundits are dismissing our chances.

On the other hand. We are more than just a scrappy team, more than just a blue collar lunch pail team. We are a good team. We have at least three players (I’m being conservative) who have proven they can take over a game and will us to a win.

If we lose it will be because Loyola is good and it was their night (afternoon) to win.

But I don’t think we are going to lose. We are more than a tough out now. We are a good team.

How ****ing cool is it to know we have a team that could beat almost any team in the country. If we are fortunate enough to win our first game, we will be right back here again talking about how Illinois is also a really good team, but we have the talent and grit and experience to beat them. What a time to be alive!

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Video going over Loyola's defense

This is a really cool breakdown. There are some things we do well that may be weak points for them (like cutting and driving to the basket, finishing at the rim). I think Usher and Moses will be huge for us this game.

They rely heavily on scheme over personnel, but we also have a week to prepare for them, unlike most of the teams on their final four run. So, I'm pretty trusting on coach rev and the team's gameplan.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
MAYBE I'M HIGH ON THIS TEAM, BUT I THINK WE CAN DO WELL HERE. EVEN KHALID FINISHES HARD AT THE BASKET- WHICH IS A BONUS NOT MENTIONED HERE.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both GT and Loyola are mentioned in this article on the 7 hottest teams entering the Tournament (FWIW, the other 5 teams mentioned are AL, TX, Houston, SDSU and Liberty). #1 seeds were excluded from consideration.

Georgia Tech​

Once a bubble team, the Yellow Jackets (17-8) played themselves into the field of 68 by winning their last nine games on the way to the ACC Tournament title. They've been led by forward Moses Wright (17.4 ppg, 8.0 rpg) on the interior and the backcourt of Jose Alvarado (15.3 ppg, 4.1 apg) and Michael Devoe (15.1 ppg). In back-to-back late-season wins over Duke and Syracuse, Wright combined for 60 points.

Loyola-Chicago​

The Ramblers (24-4) were once considered the second-best team in the Missouri Valley behind bubble team Drake. That was in early January. Then coach Porter Moser's team won 17 of its last 18, including a 27-point victory over Drake on Feb. 13 and in the MVC Tourney final. Cameron Krutwig was a freshman starter on the 2018 Loyola Final Four team, and now he's the leader. They are not as well-rounded as that '18 team offensively but superior on the defensive end. The Ramblers lead the country in KenPom defensive efficiency.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Both GT and Loyola are mentioned in this article on the 7 hottest teams entering the Tournament (FWIW, the other 5 teams mentioned are AL, TX, Houston, SDSU and Liberty). #1 seeds were excluded from consideration.

I have convinced myself that the committee wanted this matchup for this reason. It is about as attractive a first round game as there can be.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unless Teddy Valentine is officiating - then, maybe not.

I will say I have talked to coaches who like Valentine. They know he is going to be a showboat, but he also is considered one of the refs least likely to be influenced by coaches so they feel you at least get a more evenly called game - even if he likes to insert himself into it. They don't feel he gets intimidated like some refs from big name coaches.

Deleted member 2897

I will say I have talked to coaches who like Valentine. They know he is going to be a showboat, but he also is considered one of the refs least likely to be influenced by coaches so they feel you at least get a more evenly called game - even if he likes to insert himself into it. They don't feel he gets intimidated like some refs from big name coaches.

There are 2 main areas of referring subject to frustration for the fans. You've nailed 1 of them - ability to be influenced by people like the rat-faced rat, aw shucks Roy Williams, and Salty Booger Picking Boeheim. The other 1 is general incompetence. You've accurately portrayed 1 of those 2 areas where TV Teddy generally does well - not being influenced by other coaches. But his general love of basking and celebrating in his incompetence is what drives me batty. Its like he knows its a critical point of a game and a highly emotionally called charge would really get all the cameras on him, so he calls it even when its not justified. Glad he was sent home and I hope he stays there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I was mostly joking, although I do remember in particular an overtime game he ripped off from us once against Ugag. He is a bit of a showboat.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are 2 main areas of referring subject to frustration for the fans. You've nailed 1 of them - ability to be influenced by people like the rat-faced rat, aw shucks Roy Williams, and Salty Booger Picking Boeheim. The other 1 is general incompetence. You've accurately portrayed 1 of those 2 areas where TV Teddy generally does well - not being influenced by other coaches. But his general love of basking and celebrating in his incompetence is what drives me batty. Its like he knows its a critical point of a game and a highly emotionally called charge would really get all the cameras on him, so he calls it even when its not justified. Glad he was sent home and I hope he stays there.

I agree with you 100%. I don't like seeing him because I think he inserts himself too much into the game. Just pointing out it is more an issue with fans than with coaches. It is definitely a big issue with fans of most fanbases though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you 100%. I don't like seeing him because I think he inserts himself too much into the game. Just pointing out it is more an issue with fans than with coaches. It is definitely a big issue with fans of most fanbases though.

If you read the replies, it's definitely not just a GT thing with TV Teddy:

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Pastner gave Seth Greenburg a shoutout the other day. What a traitor...
I had to rewind it and hear it again - Packer and Durham kind of did that headsnap that conveys "did you just say that?" but just moved on to his next bombshell that only one ACC team would make it to the round of 16.

I could not believe I hear him say that. The ACC has not had a losing record as a conference in the NCAAT in over 34 years. But, according to Seth Greenburg, the ACC is going to stink it up in this NCAAT. Geez.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would assume FSU is the one to make the sweet 16

UVA is coming off a week with no practice
Us and UNC would have to go through one seeds
VT has played 3 games in a month and a half and lost 2.
Clemson and Cuse aren't the teams I'm going to die on a hill for to make the sweet 16

I wouldn't at all be surprised if only FSU made the sweet 16. As far as us being the first out, we are playing on the first day, and Loyola is a good team. If we're the first ACC team to play, there is a decent chance we are the first out (even though I think we win against Loyola).