Loyola Chicago (8) vs. Georgia Tech (9), Friday, 4pm ET, TBS

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Regardless of the potential missing player, I think we can still win. It will be a lot tougher depending on the player but I believe since we used a lot more of our bench players in the tournament it’ll pay off.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah. I was at Stegman for that one. Between the one-sided officiating and woofing Ugaggers, what a depressing game. I don't usually carp about officials, and I don't know what Valentine's major malfunction was that day, but he seemed to have it in for Tech, or Hewitt, or both. His bias seemed to last a few years, too, but he was in rare form that day. I always worry a little when I see him out there. I think whatever was eating him has finally worn off, though. He still screws up but doesn't seem to be actually biased against us any longer.
TV Teddy seemed to hate CPH. Since then he has seemed more balanced, but always a major (and unpredictable) official.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I certainly hope Greenberg is wrong, but he's not without considerable knowledge and experience. He could be dead on.
Seth Greenberg certainly has experience losing. He has exactly 1 NCAAT win in 22 years as a HC.

He made the NCAAT once in nine years at VT, and three times over 22 years as a HC. You have to lose a lot of games to earn that record.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Up to GT +5.5 from the original line of GT+2.0
I’m insulted they think Moses is only good for 3-1/2 points. On that alone, we should give Ill-Chi a beating for the lack of respect for Mo!

Deleted member 2897

Up to GT +5.5 from the original line of GT+2.0
I’m insulted they think Moses is only good for 3-1/2 points. On that alone, we should give Ill-Chi a beating for the lack of respect for Mo!

+6 now. I think +8 might be a good landing spot. A different lineup minus Moses shouldn’t be more than ~6 points behind. Howard is less of a drop off than most people think. Plus, Pastner has known since this weekend, so their game plan and practice will have accounted for this. We just can’t ever have nice things can we.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
vs Loyola: Usher at the 5. Surround with jose mike kyle bubba khalid. Make them adjust to our speed and athleticism at both ends. Don't try to adjust to their lineup by plugging in a slower big man (Howard). Use Howard just as you have all February: situationally for a few minutes each half.

slugboy

Staff member
vs Loyola: Usher at the 5. Surround with jose mike kyle bubba khalid. Make them adjust to our speed and athleticism at both ends. Don't try to adjust to their lineup by plugging in a slower big man (Howard). Use Howard just as you have all February: situationally for a few minutes each half.
Not Khalid at the 5? (I think we're more guard-driven than center-driven anyway)

We'll see. I may be the only one who still feels optimistic, but I'm looking forward to watching Friday.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Not Khalid at the 5? (I think we're more guard-driven than center-driven anyway)

We'll see. I may be the only one who still feels optimistic, but I'm looking forward to watching Friday.
You're not alone. I think we have a fighter's chance in both matchups even without Moses. This team is built around having the ability for multiple and varying guys to carry the load on Offense. Defensively we will have some issues, but knowing their big man isn't going to drive the ball from the perimeter to the hoop means we can stay in zone, deny the entry pass and have Howard sag down low to rim protect and body their guy.

Plus, we will have had the week to scout them, knowing our personnel, and put in a plan to limit the downside. This would be devastating to our chances if we had found out Friday morning, but given the timing I think we have got as good shot to just go out and take care of business tomorrow.

Go Jackets!

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow

I feel optimistic as well. Less so now, but still optimistic. I thought we would win by double digits with Moses. Now I think it is a toss-up game btwn 2 veteran teams. I still like GT to win.

regarding "at the 5" in lineups without howard... when we play hybrid zone, i think usher plays the "5" spot at the back/baseline. when we play m2m, i think usher guards krutwig at the "5". on offense if we are running princeton point series, usher has played the "5" in that numerous times this year. i dont believe i have ever seen khalid play it. plus it allows usher to do exactly what some were discussing earlier about moses - face up at the elbow/slot and attack krutwig off the bounce. if we are running DDM, then i could maybe see khalid playing the "5" dunker spot only bc i'd rather have usher attacking from the perimeter than khalid. but all february pastner seemed to run more DDM when howard came into the game. if howard is running the "5" in princeton point i think you will see krutwig playing "drop" coverage vs the ball screens and handoffs - basically a 1 man zone (krutwig) in the middle of the lane while howard is out on the perimeter.

for people saying saba, i would be shocked if any coach took a freshman who has played zero "real" minutes all year and then put him into an ncaa tourney game as his first "real" game action of his career, even as a backup for just 2 minutes. i think every coach on earth would go small ball before considering putting a frosh in that position.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I feel optimistic as well. Less so now, but still optimistic. I thought we would win by double digits with Moses. Now I think it is a toss-up game btwn 2 veteran teams. I still like GT to win.

regarding "at the 5" in lineups without howard... when we play hybrid zone, i think usher plays the "5" spot at the back/baseline. when we play m2m, i think usher guards krutwig at the "5". on offense if we are running princeton point series, usher has played the "5" in that numerous times this year. i dont believe i have ever seen khalid play it. plus it allows usher to do exactly what some were discussing earlier about moses - face up at the elbow/slot and attack krutwig off the bounce. if we are running DDM, then i could maybe see khalid playing the "5" dunker spot only bc i'd rather have usher attacking from the perimeter than khalid. but all february pastner seemed to run more DDM when howard came into the game. if howard is running the "5" in princeton point i think you will see krutwig playing "drop" coverage vs the ball screens and handoffs - basically a 1 man zone (krutwig) in the middle of the lane while howard is out on the perimeter.

for people saying saba, i would be shocked if any coach took a freshman who has played zero "real" minutes all year and then put him into an ncaa tourney game as his first "real" game action of his career, even as a backup for just 2 minutes. i think every coach on earth would go small ball before considering putting a frosh in that position.
Your comments on the tradeoff of Khalid and Jordan at the 5 ring true to me. Also agree, I don't see Saba playing unless it is a blow out one way or another or crazy foul trouble for us.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Small ball is what we have been going all year. Playing no front court players at all is tiny ball.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Loyola might be shocked, too. Just sayin'...

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd bet some money that our lineup for the majority of the game will be:

Jose
Devoe
Sturdivant
Usher
Moore

I think depth (both for minutes and if any of those players get in foul trouble) will be the bigger issue, but I'm pretty confident with that lineup still.
100% agree.

slugboy

Staff member
I'd bet some money that our lineup for the majority of the game will be:

Jose
Devoe
Sturdivant
Usher
Moore

I think depth (both for minutes and if any of those players get in foul trouble) will be the bigger issue, but I'm pretty confident with that lineup still.
You could have gotten nice odds with that bet on Tuesday

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Callin' it now .... all you dudes frettin' and forgettin' ....

... we got the Brooklyn Burgler, who always works late!

... we got silky smoove Michaelangelo Devoe, tell me this ain't a pretty portrait ...

We got the alien fka JUsh comin' atcha ...

... oh you was lookin' for that other highlight, well (checks his pockets) I think we're fresh outta dunk highlight .. wait, watch-yo hed ...

And anybody scared-a backups having to come in and contribute, did you not see Sturdivant come in cold and play a key role in the title game? Did you not see Howard come in and hold the rope?

If you scared, be a dawg. The rest of y'all get on the bus, Stinger of course, and pull for the guys.

The Alien already told y'all ....