Louisville Post Game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree with any of this, except I will need to see more of Brooks & Lee this year before I call them difference makers. I am still very skeptical of our HC & staff, but as I stated, I am glad the team did not do embarrassing things like stupid penalties.
Ah, let yourself go.

PantherWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
On 1st downs - Lou averaged over 10 yards a play for the game. In the first half it was 5.3 yards per play. After the break, this increased to over 10 yards per play BEFORE the 75 yard first down run. Had to calculate this manually, but if anyone had a link to site that calculates this stat, I would appreciate it. Kneel downs excluded in the above.

A few posts back, there was a reference to folks leaving early - I very rarely leave any sporting event early, especially when there are so few opportunities to see the team each year. I was out after the long run - didn’t even watch the guy cross the goal line - frankly surprised by how many folks were in the concourse considering that it was a one score game. Was hoping to hear about a stunning turnaround, but sensed the game was over and had an hour plus drive ahead at the end of a long week.

The neutral site nature of games at the Benz, the cfb revolving door of players, game length, and recent under achieving seem like good candidates for why fans would be more likely to leave early compared to prior years, but I am interested in hearing other’s motivations or expectations. I get after the field goal, but when it was still 8 pts?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
On 1st downs - Lou averaged over 10 yards a play for the game. In the first half it was 5.3 yards per play. After the break, this increased to over 10 yards per play BEFORE the 75 yard first down run. Had to calculate this manually, but if anyone had a link to site that calculates this stat, I would appreciate it. Kneel downs excluded in the above.

A few posts back, there was a reference to folks leaving early - I very rarely leave any sporting event early, especially when there are so few opportunities to see the team each year. I was out after the long run - didn’t even watch the guy cross the goal line - frankly surprised by how many folks were in the concourse considering that it was a one score game. Was hoping to hear about a stunning turnaround, but sensed the game was over and had an hour plus drive ahead at the end of a long week.

The neutral site nature of games at the Benz, the cfb revolving door of players, game length, and recent under achieving seem like good candidates for why fans would be more likely to leave early compared to prior years, but I am interested in hearing other’s motivations or expectations. I get after the field goal, but when it was still 8 pts?
When at BDS I never leave until the Horse has played. Lots o' sentimentality when I'm in BDS.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
The mind boggles at the things being said in the heat of the moment.

I think I can summarize, losing sucks... Tackle the sob with the ball....

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Advanced Stats review. Basic takeaway from game 1, offense was good, defense was really bad.

Defense is bad. Unfortunately it does not appear we have the players to make significant impacts on defense this year. The defense wasn't good last but we did have 3 good defenders. They are all gone now. Ugh!

slugboy

Staff member
Advanced Stats review. Basic takeaway from game 1, offense was good, defense was really bad.

To make some of the calls, like saying the problem was our tackling, he needs some numbers from PFF or some of the fantasy football stats sites—yards after contact, missed tackles, etc.

A film review would do it, but that’s a film review instead of an advanced stats review.

Louisville’s havoc numbers aren’t that different from ours, and they gave up almost as many points. We missed two field goals, which would have won the game. That would mean their defense was terrible, too.

He’s taking over for the two guys who did their stats reviews last year, and he’s new to it and doesn’t seem to have as much data

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
he’s new to it and doesn’t seem to have as much data
ESPN botched the play by play data, meaning most of the free advanced stat sites are missing data for us. I was trying to run some stuff myself and ran into the same issue (he mentions it in one of the comments). https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401525462 and https://collegefootballdata.com/boxscore/401525462 both missing
That would mean their defense was terrible, too.
I agree. It seemed interesting to take both conclusions to be GT centric each way.
like saying the problem was our tackling, he needs some numbers from PFF or some of the fantasy football stats sites—yards after contact, missed tackles, etc
I didn't hate the linking between their success rate and our missed tackles. When I saw their high success rate earlier in the week, it as the first thing I thought of. I agree that we can't possibly say it definitively though.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
To make some of the calls, like saying the problem was our tackling, he needs some numbers from PFF or some of the fantasy football stats sites—yards after contact, missed tackles, etc.

A film review would do it, but that’s a film review instead of an advanced stats review.

Louisville’s havoc numbers aren’t that different from ours, and they gave up almost as many points. We missed two field goals, which would have won the game. That would mean their defense was terrible, too.

He’s taking over for the two guys who did their stats reviews last year, and he’s new to it and doesn’t seem to have as much data
I don't need a whole lot of data when I see wide receivers running loose and breaking arm tackles like they were the second coming of Jim Brown. I don't think Plummer got pressured at all much less sacked.

slugboy

Staff member
ESPN botched the play by play data, meaning most of the free advanced stat sites are missing data for us. I was trying to run some stuff myself and ran into the same issue (he mentions it in one of the comments). https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401525462 and https://collegefootballdata.com/boxscore/401525462 both missing

I agree. It seemed interesting to take both conclusions to be GT centric each way.

I didn't hate the linking between their success rate and our missed tackles. When I saw their high success rate earlier in the week, it as the first thing I thought of. I agree that we can't possibly say it definitively though.
Success rate was terrible—they moved the ball too well and got too many first downs. And too many scores. We knew that.

I’d have to look to see how much was “player wide open” vs “broke a tackle” vs “couldn’t shed a block”. I don’t think I have three free hours to do that.

Some things stick in your memory more than others, and missed tackles are one of those things.

Key said we didn’t maintain pad level. He said our tackling was poor. We also practice a ton of it. He said our stunts were slow. Sounds like we need to work on fundamentals, a lot.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Success rate was terrible—they moved the ball too well and got too many first downs. And too many scores. We knew that.

I’d have to look to see how much was “player wide open” vs “broke a tackle” vs “couldn’t shed a block”. I don’t think I have three free hours to do that.

Some things stick in your memory more than others, and missed tackles are one of those things.

Key said we didn’t maintain pad level. He said our tackling was poor. We also practice a ton of it. He said our stunts were slow. Sounds like we need to work on fundamentals, a lot.
3.....2......1........we are simplifying the defense

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Going into the season I knew the D would be our Achilles heal. All you have to look at is losing our linebackers and White on the DL and that tells some of the story. Then if you looked at the remaining roster, you knew it would be tough. Coaching can only do so much. You need the players to execute. It’s not going to happen on D.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Going into the season I knew the D would be our Achilles heal. All you have to look at is losing our linebackers and White on the DL and that tells some of the story. Then if you looked at the remaining roster, you knew it would be tough. Coaching can only do so much. You need the players to execute. It’s not going to happen on D.

Despite my sarcastic post just above, I think it is way too soon to draw any hard conclusions about who/what we are. I think it was folly to think we could lose 3 guys like Charlie, Ace and Keion and be as good on day one (although somehow I hoped for that). I think we have players that can and will develop. Or at least hoping that we do. It's just much too early to say what we are right now. At the end of the day, I want a team that contends for a natty but am usually satisfied with a team that demonstrably gets better week over week. This is why the '89 team remains a favorite of mine. AT the end of the year they were as good as anyone (and proved it the next). If that (week to week improvement) happens the win-loss record will take care of itself.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The offense, especially the line, looks better than I thought. The defense, especially the line, looks worse than I thought. Hopefully, the defense improves and the offense stays as good. As for ST, Gavin should not be missing easy FGs and we still to learn how to block on kickoffs and punt returns.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Thacker is responsible for every player that he puts on the field. He has been dc for going on five years. Let’s hope we make huge improvements going forward