Louisville Post Game

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm. I saw a couple in the ESPN stats.
The "official" game box shows zero. This is the version that makes its way to coaches and media.

1693850678824.png

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The "official" game box shows zero. This is the version that makes its way to coaches and media.

View attachment 14696
Well, not only did we get a tackle for a loss, but we had a sack. When we came up the middle and wife’s, then flushed Plumber to the sideline, he stepped out 2 feet short of the LoS. The Line Judge makes it short. Go watch the video.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Our D seems to lack any significant difference makers.

I am also concerned with O line looking similar to last 4 years. This is, as stated before, our HC’s specialty.

I’m very happy that the team seems disciplined & well prepared. No matter the W-L this year, I won’t have to feel embarrassed like I did with the other guy.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sometimes a coach knows the right adjustments to make, but the players aren’t ready to execute those adjustments. I imagine there was a bit of that going on in the game, especially given that we’re installing a new offense. It’ll be up to the coaches to have our guys ready to execute against the rest of our schedule.

slugboy

Staff member
Our D seems to lack any significant difference makers.

I am also concerned with O line looking similar to last 4 years. This is, as stated before, our HC’s specialty.

I’m very happy that the team seems disciplined & well prepared. No matter the W-L this year, I won’t have to feel embarrassed like I did with the other guy.
Clayton Powell Lee and LaMiles Brooks are both difference makers.

There are a few ways this game could have turned out
  1. A disaster
  2. A statement game where we announce we’re one of the contenders
  3. A solid win
  4. A clear “they’re out of your league” loss
  5. A lucky fluke win
  6. An unlucky fluke loss
  7. A game where we’re improved from last season, but we have a lot to work on
I put us in category 7. I’m not going to argue for 6, because that sack was on us, plus a number of other plays that could have decided the game.

Our TEs either have to contribute more, or we need to use them less.

Tackling needs to improve from what we saw in the second half

We need to get better production from our OTs

It’s easy to fall into a hole of making excuses for the coaching staff. The team needs to be drastically better by next week and week 3.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Besides the lack of wrapping up, the other thing I saw several times was a failure to force the runner back inside where there is more help.

The defense needs some work on the fundamentals
DB's not wrapping up and using bump tackles has been a common problem for the last few years. I had complained about it in prior years. It can work if they take their legs out but not always above the waist. I hope that's not what our coaches are teaching.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I used to think that recruiting DT's was our Achilles heel. But, for the life of me I cannot recall a single GT TE since Tom Covington. How in the actual **** hard is it to recruit this position????? Are the high school's not using this position anymore?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I used to think that recruiting DT's was our Achilles heel. But, for the life of me I cannot recall a single GT TE since Tom Covington. How in the actual **** hard is it to recruit this position????? Are the high school's not using this position anymore?
Matthews, Matvay, Heller and Foschi come to mind. But it has definitely been a long time.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Clayton Powell Lee and LaMiles Brooks are both difference makers.

There are a few ways this game could have turned out
  1. A disaster
  2. A statement game where we announce we’re one of the contenders
  3. A solid win
  4. A clear “they’re out of your league” loss
  5. A lucky fluke win
  6. An unlucky fluke loss
  7. A game where we’re improved from last season, but we have a lot to work on
I put us in category 7. I’m not going to argue for 6, because that sack was on us, plus a number of other plays that could have decided the game.

Tackling needs to improve from what we saw in the second half

We need to get better production from our OTs

It’s easy to fall into a hole of making excuses for the coaching staff. The team needs to be drastically better by next week and week 3.
I don’t disagree with any of this, except I will need to see more of Brooks & Lee this year before I call them difference makers. I am still very skeptical of our HC & staff, but as I stated, I am glad the team did not do embarrassing things like stupid penalties.