Louisville Post Game

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
bro, this is an internet message board. There isn't a smart person walking through the door here to answer your question sadly enough. WTBS, as Dunning and Kruger found out, there will be an idiot along shortly to answer your question, And this idiot will believe that he is smart. So ignore anyone who replies to your post, including me. It's a bit of a paradox....or a conundrum if you prefer. :)
Hilarious, but true. But many who THINK they they are smart. LMAO

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
After reading the posts in this thread, I have a question. Anyone think having Williams and Brooks in the whole game would have made a difference?

For instance, Williams makes a block in the third quarter to spring a back or a block that protects the QB? Or Brooks makes a tackle that one of the DBs wiffed on? Tech is not deep. Losing two of the better players on the team in the first game I think made a difference.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Meanwhile UNC just crammed the hall down South Carolina’s throat even though SC had 13 men on the field.

Talk about a physical OF line…

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Williams being out hurt that much. I think our offensive line issues will get resolved with more playing together. Brooks is tough to say. I think Powell and King are just as good. It might have hurt with depth later in the fourth quarter.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Williams being out hurt that much. I think our offensive line issues will get resolved with more playing together. Brooks is tough to say. I think Powell and King are just as good. It might have hurt with depth later in the fourth quarter.
It was the left guard that gave up the big sack and fumble, not Jordan Williams' replacement, if that means anything to the discussion.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I watched part of the game and listened to part of the game as I was driving. My takes:

1. It looked like a typical 1st game of the season for both teams. Lots of things to clean up.

2. We're going to be better than most people thought we would be, but not as good as some thought.

3. Our offense tested the defense in the 1st quarter and adjusted to what they were giving us in the 2nd quarter. Louisville adjusted at half time, and after testing them in the 3rd quarter, we didn't adjust well in the late 3rd/4th quarters. That can be either personnel and coaching, or both.

4. We have some exciting playmakers that will make plays. We still have holes that can and will be exploited.

5. We'll be better Week 2 and, I suspect, even better Week 3. I don't know that we have enough to go against a top SEC team and win yet. That being said, I'm not convinced Ole Miss is a top SEC team.

6. I am happy with the play of several of the transfers. They appear to have come to play.

7. I still think King is a gunslinger and will make dangerous throws that will be a homerun for whichever team catches the ball.

8. It's time for our OL to actually be a P5 OL and play like it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss is the first true measuring stick. We know what they are going to do and after last night they know exactly what we are going to do. I want to hope we have actually improved from last year but Kiffen and Dart will provide us the answer.
Well 42-0 was as bad as it gets. They might put up 42 on us. We should at least score. Very low probability of winning with our defense

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
After reading the posts in this thread, I have a question. Anyone think having Williams and Brooks in the whole game would have made a difference?

For instance, Williams makes a block in the third quarter to spring a back or a block that protects the QB? Or Brooks makes a tackle that one of the DBs wiffed on? Tech is not deep. Losing two of the better players on the team in the first game I think made a difference.
Injuries are part of the game. We pay zero attention to Louisville. They lost a good defender in the 1st qtr for targeting. Just part of the game.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game and disappointed by the crowd size. I thought we would have a big showing with all of the excitement about Key and his new staff and moving on from the coach who will not be named. The announced crowd was 36K and probably 15K were for Louisville. The Tech fans were loud but it looks like we may now be in the same neighborhood as Duke and Wake as far as fan following goes.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game and disappointed by the crowd size. I thought we would have a big showing with all of the excitement about Key and his new staff and moving on from the coach who will not be named. The announced crowd was 36K and probably 15K were for Louisville. The Tech fans were loud but it looks like we may now be in the same neighborhood as Duke and Wake as far as fan following goes.
There were hardly any Louisville fans. I thought they would travel better. I saw the announced attendance and I was disappointed as well. But knowing that we haven’t had a winning record in years is what has caused the empty seats.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
36k is solid in the macro context of college football attendance declining. We were doing low 30s (sub-30 for the UVA game) last season so it's a good improvement. Just have to win and people will come to the games - look at what the volleyball team has been doing.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t understand how Tech can’t have a decent o-line - we are 5 years post option should be decent. Maybe the statement that the option would set GT back 10 years when Johnson leaves was a true statement.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand how Tech can’t have a decent o-line - we are 5 years post option should be decent. Maybe the statement that the option would set GT back 10 years when Johnson leaves was a true statement.
This board has gone round and round about how long it takes to build an offensive line. What we have established is that…..

1. It takes 3-5 years starting from scratch.

2. It takes Tech much longer because the universe is against us.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It was kind of a perfect storm against us.
Johnson said multiple times during his tenure that the school will struggle to get high profile players unless GTAA and the University make some big changes , which he was right about
Then NIL happened, and well you.know where we stand on that

Collins came in with a decent first recruiting class, and we had some very good O Line players, but Collins screwed up due to his coaching

Now with the changes the last year, we seem to finally be on the right track with the program, GTAA and the University all on the same page. So I think now we will finally start seeing those changes and the players we want come in.
But again remember, Tech will always have the academic side of things that some players just won't want

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
What is it with GT fans? Down 8 with 4 minutes left, 50% were out of there. Have they never heard of a 2 point conversion. 11 down with 2:30 minutes left, 90% out of there. Have they never heard of an onside kick? We came pretty close to getting the onside kick with 1:07 left and possibly winning the game.

I admit I left after Louisville downed the ball with 30 seconds left.
That's what happens when you have 4 years of putrid performance. Don't blame the fans for having an expected response.