Louisville Post Game

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Haven’t been able to watch the replay and was at the game. Was it Seither who had the crucial drop when he (unnecessarily) jumped in traffic?
In his defense, the ball was a wobbler with zip. I was initially mad he didn't make the catch live but when I saw the slow MO replay I can see why he didn't grab it, jump notwithstanding

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow

Just watched this post-game press conference. Even though the result was disappointing, it was clear that Key and the players interviewed owned their mistakes. This is different than what we witnessed with the previous regime. J. King and H. King both cited specific opportunities they had for improvement in their individual play. I did not hear any excuses from those interviewed. While the talent deficiencies on the offensive and defensive lines will likely continue to pose a problem for the remainder of the season against quality opponents, I am encouraged that the ability of the players and coaches to accept responsibility for their mistakes will lend itself to an improvement in the areas in which the team is capable of improving such as tackling, play-calling, QB decision-making, and field goal execution.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Just watched this post-game press conference. Even though the result was disappointing, it was clear that Key and the players interviewed owned their mistakes. This is different than what we witnessed with the previous regime. J. King and H. King both cited specific opportunities they had for improvement in their individual play. I did not hear any excuses from those interviewed. While the talent deficiencies on the offensive and defensive lines will likely continue to pose a problem for the remainder of the season against quality opponents, I am encouraged that the ability of the players and coaches to accept responsibility for their mistakes will lend itself to an improvement in the areas in which the team is capable of improving such as tackling, play-calling, QB decision-making, and field goal execution.
Agreed. Key has said repeatedly that he realizes players (and coaches) will make mistakes, but he seems to be instilling an attitude of recognizing them, owning them, and taking corrective action.

slugboy

Staff member
Here are a few more numbers on the game (again, from https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401525462). These are defensive numbers. I’m not going to say whether Thacker can call a defense, etc.

First big number is “stop rate”—on what percentage of plays your defense is on the field did they get a punt, turnover, or turnover on downs (including 4th down conversions).

Louisville got us off the field—punting, etc—about half the time. Ours was only about 26%. To our credit, we held them to FGs a lot.

IMG_0312.jpeg

I’ve seen a few people write that we couldn’t get sacks, we couldn’t pressure the QB, we didn’t get any tackles for loss. They didn’t get many more tackles for loss than we did. They got one sack (and boy, that one counted).

We had more explosive plays than they did. We were about as effective as them in stuffing the ball.

Turnovers hurt us—and Louisville made more of their turnovers than we did (ours only had seconds left in the first half).

IMG_0313.jpeg

What these numbers don’t show is the difference between the second quarter vs the third and the beginning of the fourth. I don’t think it was just Louisville’s halftime adjustments—it was ours, too. Our line yards (the yards on a run from the OL compared to the yards on runs from the runner) were about the same as Louisville’s.

We don’t have a line that will push for 3 1/2 yards on a play. We’re better off spreading the defense out and getting rushing yards that way. Also, we were better off optioning, and that had been effective for us in the first half.

If you look at the special teams stats, they basically cost us a TD worth of points—at least six, and enough to lose the game. We finally figured out to fair catch the kickoffs after a while. Punts are still kind of an adventure.

I don’t have any stats for bad tackling, but that killed us in the second half. Bad tackling allowed Louisville to move the ball down the field on the first series after halftime.

There are a lot of things to improve on defense, and our guys were going for turnovers, but if they can focus on one thing, it’s making the tackle—wrap up and make good tackles. If you can’t do it solo, fight and hold on until you get help. Stay between your player and the goalline.

On offense—unless we end up with the mid-1980’s version of the Washington Redskins “Hogs” where they can just push you down the field—we’re going to spread and option. If we bring in extra TEs, we still have to spread.

Key seems to want the OL to take over the game. I understand that they won’t be able to do that unless he keeps pushing them, but they couldn’t do it last night. There’s no side of the line that you can follow for three yards. Key and Geep Wade need to be smart in picking their battles. They can’t give up, but that first offensive series in the third cost us dearly.

Special teams need work.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here are a few more numbers on the game (again, from https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401525462). These are defensive numbers. I’m not going to say whether Thacker can call a defense, etc.

First big number is “stop rate”—on what percentage of plays your defense is on the field did they get a punt, turnover, or turnover on downs (including 4th down conversions).

Louisville got us off the field—punting, etc—about half the time. Ours was only about 26%. To our credit, we held them to FGs a lot.

View attachment 14690

I’ve seen a few people write that we couldn’t get sacks, we couldn’t pressure the QB, we didn’t get any tackles for loss. They didn’t get many more tackles for loss than we did. They got one sack (and boy, that one counted).

We had more explosive plays than they did. We were about as effective as them in stuffing the ball.

Turnovers hurt us—and Louisville made more of their turnovers than we did (ours only had seconds left in the first half).

View attachment 14691

What these numbers don’t show is the difference between the second quarter vs the third and the beginning of the fourth. I don’t think it was just Louisville’s halftime adjustments—it was ours, too. Our line yards (the yards on a run from the OL compared to the yards on runs from the runner) were about the same as Louisville’s.

We don’t have a line that will push for 3 1/2 yards on a play. We’re better off spreading the defense out and getting rushing yards that way. Also, we were better off optioning, and that had been effective for us in the first half.

If you look at the special teams stats, they basically cost us a TD worth of points—at least six, and enough to lose the game. We finally figured out to fair catch the kickoffs after a while. Punts are still kind of an adventure.

I don’t have any stats for bad tackling, but that killed us in the second half. Bad tackling allowed Louisville to move the ball down the field on the first series after halftime.

There are a lot of things to improve on defense, and our guys were going for turnovers, but if they can focus on one thing, it’s making the tackle—wrap up and make good tackles. If you can’t do it solo, fight and hold on until you get help. Stay between your player and the goalline.

On offense—unless we end up with the mid-1980’s version of the Washington Redskins “Hogs” where they can just push you down the field—we’re going to spread and option. If we bring in extra TEs, we still have to spread.

Special teams needs work.
As I said in an earlier comment, the blind side sack and fumble was the turning point in the game. We had reestablished momentum. It looked like we were about to score.

In close games the data differences between the two teams are rarely what turned the game one way or the other. Opportunities to win have to be exploited. UL did just that Friday night and we did not.

slugboy

Staff member
As I said in an earlier comment, the blind side sack and fumble was the turning point in the game. We had reestablished momentum. It looked like we were about to score.

In close games the data differences between the two teams are rarely what turned the game one way or the other. Opportunities to win have to be exploited. UL did just that Friday night and we did not.
That was the biggest play of the game, but there were lots of chances to win it.

We don’t need a flexbone, but option plays can act like an extra blocker or two, and we have the QBs to make that work.

We also tried some H back plays with the TEs and didn’t get much out of that.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Until we get some big, physical guys in the trenches we will continue to be in shootouts with average teams and get beat by better quality ones. Getting DL has always been a problem for us and it shows in the results. As for offense, as one poster said, we have got to spread out defenses. Not sure what Buster was trying to do in the second half but that’s on him IMO.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Until we get some big, physical guys in the trenches we will continue to be in shootouts with average teams and get beat by better quality ones. Getting DL has always been a problem for us and it shows in the results. As for offense, as one poster said, we have got to spread out defenses. Not sure what Buster was trying to do in the second half but that’s on him IMO.
Actually take a look at the plays we ran in the second half. The GTAA site has every play in the game. We were unsuccessful in the 3rd qtr for sure but it was both passing and running. The first series was a 3 and out on all pass plays.

We ran the ball up the middle on 1st down 4 times total in the 3rd and 4th quarter. One of the 4 plays gained 6 yards, the other 3 got 3 or less so 1 out of 4 was successful. We had very little success passing on 1st down in the second half. Our execution was not nearly as good then as it was in the 2nd quarter.

After the missed FG we had 3 called runs and 17 called pass plays.

We had one questionable 3 play sequence that is causing all the constranation. 4th qtr. 1st and 10 from the Louisville 19 yard line. Play sequence - Haynes up the middle, Haynes left and King option - 3 runs for 4 yards and a missed FG. This is the 3 play sequence that sticks in everyone's mind. It was not successful in getting a 1st down and resulted in a missed FG.

Blaming play calling on one set of 3 plays is over the top in my opinion. We simply did not execute very well consistently in the second half. We had a 3 good drives but a missed FG, a fumble killed 2 of them. We scored a TD on the 3rd one.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Something on the order of 14M customers of Spectrum were blacked out by ESPN/Charter/Disney. Plus a lot of them in the southeast. I am about ready to drop spectrum cable and go streaming.
They play power trips with local cable carriers and then give $EC more money and hype then any other conference.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
In his defense, the ball was a wobbler with zip. I was initially mad he didn't make the catch live but when I saw the slow MO replay I can see why he didn't grab it, jump notwithstanding
I haven't watched it back, but live it looked like he tried to catch it with his chest which rarely works out well.

When we got them into 3rd downs, we did really well and stopping them, unfortunately we didn't get them to third down enough, and a lot of those were within field goal range. They also pretty well maximized the turnovers they got and the pick the threw and their fumble ended up not hurting them at all. Outside of that it felt like a pretty evenly matched game.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
I snipped the PFF Off & Def grades for you guys.

My thoughts in no particular order:
  • This will be an unpopular opinion, but Haynes King is the same player as Jeff Sims (well, maybe not with the whole quitting thing, but I digress). Immensely physically talented. Turnover prone. Seems to take a long time to process where to go with the ball when the first option is not available
  • The eye test says that we were more organized and disciplined than we have been the past four years
  • We seemed to have a plan on Offense. I loved the pace- we ran 70 offensive plays; the national avg for week 1 was 60. I think more could have been done from a play calling standpoint to cover for our OL- the commitment to running up the middle in the 2H was frustrating. I look at what Sean Lewis (COL OC) did vs. TCU to mask his OL deficiency- more quick pass plays vs running just for the sake of running it
  • OL was bad overall, but both Fusile and Franklin graded out well. Our tackles did not. This is concerning, but keep in mind that LOU has some dudes on the DL so this was to be expected
  • Eric Singleton Jr is a stud
  • The loss was disappointing, but Louisville is more talented and had a definitive coaching advantage (THIS IS NOT A SHOT AT KEY!). We exceeded everyone's expectations; 6 wins and a bowl game is not a pipe dream

LOU v GT PFF Def.PNG
LOU v GT PFF Off.PNG

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

• This will be an unpopular opinion, but Haynes King is the same player as Jeff Sims (well, maybe not with the whole quitting thing, but I digress). Immensely physically talented. Turnover prone. Seems to take a long time to process where to go with the ball when the first option is not available
  • The eye test says that we were more organized and disciplined than we have been the past four years
  • We seemed to have a plan on Offense. I loved the pace- we ran 70 offensive plays; the national avg for week 1 was 60. I think more could have been done from a play calling standpoint to cover for our OL- the commitment to running up the middle in the 2H was frustrating. I look at what Sean Lewis (COL OC) did vs. TCU to mask his OL deficiency- more quick pass plays vs running just for the sake of running it
  • OL was bad overall, but both Fusile and Franklin graded out well. Our tackles did not. This is concerning, but keep in mind that LOU has some dudes on the DL so this was to be expected
  • The loss was disappointing, but Louisville is more talented and had a definitive coaching advantage (THIS IS NOT A SHOT AT KEY!). We exceeded everyone's expectations; 6 wins and a bowl game is not a pipe dream

View attachment 14692View attachment 14693
The only thing about the King vs. Sims comparison (regardless of score) is he didn't throw in traffic as much. I agree he takes too long to make a decision in many cases and tends to continue to look for a receiver versus tucking and running. It definitely was the cause of the fumble in 4th quarter. But I think he will be a much stronger QB IF we can give him a little more time. I also think for first time in a new system that he did fairly well overall.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

View attachment 14692View attachment 14693
That's really helpful, thanks. I don't think PFF is gospel, but I think they do a pretty good job of showing who played well. For me, it confirmed some things that I saw--I thought Tatum and Powell-Lee and KJ Wallace all played pretty well. I don't think anybody on our DLine played well, so I was surprised to see Robinson, Harris and Kennard as high as they were graded.

On offense, I was surprised to see Franklin and Fusile so high, but the OLine is really only as good as its weakest link...which was REALLY weak in this game. In general, I was encouraged by our receivers. I wish I knew what happened to the Dontae Smith I saw a few years ago...

All in all...we've got to get better on the line of scrimmage. We will only go as far as they can improve.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
One game in, against an opponent who's favored to win, and does, but by a smaller margin than predicted, and the Swarm nabobs of negativism are in midseason form.

Nabob, what the hell is a nabob??

GIF by The Simpsons

Maybe they said on the Spectrum broadcast, which I conveniently didn't have Friday on my classic cable box......

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Actually take a look at the plays we ran in the second half. The GTAA site has every play in the game. We were unsuccessful in the 3rd qtr for sure but it was both passing and running. The first series was a 3 and out on all pass plays.

We ran the ball up the middle on 1st down 4 times total in the 3rd and 4th quarter. One of the 4 plays gained 6 yards, the other 3 got 3 or less so 1 out of 4 was successful. We had very little success passing on 1st down in the second half. Our execution was not nearly as good then as it was in the 2nd quarter.

After the missed FG we had 3 called runs and 17 called pass plays.

We had one questionable 3 play sequence that is causing all the constranation. 4th qtr. 1st and 10 from the Louisville 19 yard line. Play sequence - Haynes up the middle, Haynes left and King option - 3 runs for 4 yards and a missed FG. This is the 3 play sequence that sticks in everyone's mind. It was not successful in getting a 1st down and resulted in a missed FG.

Blaming play calling on one set of 3 plays is over the top in my opinion. We simply did not execute very well consistently in the second half. We had a 3 good drives but a missed FG, a fumble killed 2 of them. We scored a TD on the 3rd one.
This is exactly what I wanted to look back at. Thanks for doing the work I wasn’t willing to do. :D