Louisville Post Game

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t been able to watch the replay and was at the game. Was it Seither who had the crucial drop when he (unnecessarily) jumped in traffic?

Last edited:

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Disappointed to lose, especially feeling, like we had the ability to win. Need to figure out the kicking game, the missed FG really hurt. OCBF needs to work on his situational play calling. Have a lot of things to work on and hone against SCSt.

But I feel good about the direction of the program. We looked like a much better team overall last night than any of the previous 4 years. Very few penalties, few big mistakes, we mostly did the fundamental things correctly. We were competitive. Louisville was flat better on both lines of scrimmage and that makes it tough to win. As long as we keep improving and don't make the same mistakes over and over, I think we'll be competitive in our ACC games.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I guess I'll name the 3 positives I saw although 1 I see as an issue in a year or 2 given the state of the game today.

1. TE group looks pretty solid both blocking and receiving.

2. King looks like a P5 QB. Not a world beater but any means but a capable QB that can win games.

3. Singleton is good. Agree with what others said. His speed was highly touted but he's got real ball skills and needs to see the field more immediately. Not saying he's as skilled, but I'll say he may be Jahmyr Gibbs when it comes to his level of talent compared to everyone else on our team. And I mean that in both good and bad ways.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm really worried what a good QB is going to do against this defense. Other than his broken play running ability, I think Plummer is a below-average QB and cost his team points with poor throws. Unless we get more pressure / tackle better, I can see Ole Miss beating us by 4 scores

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'll name the 3 positives I saw although 1 I see as an issue in a year or 2 given the state of the game today.

2. King looks like a P5 QB. Not a world beater but any means but a capable QB that can win games.

3. Singleton is good. Agree with what others said. His speed was highly touted but he's got real ball skills and needs to see the field more immediately. Not saying he's as skilled, but I'll say he may be Jahmyr Gibbs when it comes to his level of talent compared to everyone else on our team. And I mean that in both good and bad ways.
TEs caught 2 passes for 9 yards. I recall someone on this forum said our TEs were going to average 100 yards per game. I said they were crazy. Can’t remember who it was. Wonder if they will own that crazy statement.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
TEs caught 2 passes for 9 yards. I recall someone on this forum said our TEs were going to average 100 yards per game. I said they were crazy. Can’t remember who it was. Wonder if they will own that crazy statement.
Yeah, I really thought we'd use them as an outlet more, esp once it was apparent the OL was terrible again.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well yeah that's insane. They did look good to me though. Especially blocking on the perimeter. Receiving wise, I'm not sure we targeted them at all the 2H for some unknown reason.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Haynes King can be a great qb. Anyone on this board who thinks he cost us the game should continue posting in the volleyball forum. He can make every throw on the field and has great mobility. I look forward to watching him grow with these receivers
I agree, he’s capable of a lot. I haven’t seen a good anticipatory throw from a GT QB in what seems like forever, but I saw it last night. Not just strong throws, but good throws mostly. He’s got good touch, also. His wheels are an unexpected plus.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I agree, he’s capable of a lot. I haven’t seen a good anticipatory throw from a GT QB in what seems like forever, but I saw it last night. Not just strong throws, but good throws mostly. He’s got good touch, also. His wheels are an unexpected plus.
He will be the first Tech QB drafted since Joe Hamilton…. He has all the tools and is that not a crazy Tech stat..

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The stadium was ROCKING in the second quarter and I think if Stewart made the FG at the end of the half, we would have blown them out. Unfortunately, our guys do not know how to win yet and the game was still only a two score game. We came out the second half flat and trying not to lose. I think the coaches called the game that way, but I also think the psyche of our players were not ready to handle those kind of highs in a game(it’s been a long time) and stay focused, which again, is ultimately on the coaches.

I’m not sure Louisville is going to be very good, but they are a conference opponent and we competed the whole game and could have(probably should have) won. I think we will be competitive this year and show some promise. I don’t know how many wins that will translate into, but a 6-6 season would be huge step up from the previous regime(sadly).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I was only able to watch the first half - thanks Disney - and look at the box score. Very disappointing loss, but here are some impressions, good and bad.

The Good:
• The WRs are a capable group. Throw them the ball, especially, as said above, Singleton.
• King is decent and could get better. He can run, for one thing, and Tech needs him to do more of it. And he had a pretty good night throwing the ball, especially for a first game.
• Tech had a few crucial injuries and seemed to do a decent - not great - job adjusting.
• The team never

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Was disappointed in the tackling, the fan support in the 2nd half, and the run game. Otherwise nice to have football back and I am excited for the future.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They were tough in the middle all game. We were able to loosen them up a little by going wide with plays and hitting some quick passes. But once they adjusted and found their rhythm there wasn’t much available. Defense played extremely well but were on the field for what felt like forever due to turnovers or our offense getting shut down.

Maybe we really aren’t very good but Louisville looked as athletic as any team we will face this year except for uga.
Very good summary of what decided this contest. I differ with you on Louisville. I don't think they are all that great and we are mediocre but at least entertaining to watch when King has time to throw which will not always be the case.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Singleton is one of those guys that before the year is out, he will be on the field in pre game warmups and the opponents' defensive backs will be pointing him out to each other and saying "See that dude? He is the guy we have to shut down." He can be that good.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
A pain ridden crowd 😂. My family pulled me out of there as well, I didn’t fight it. All is well tech family.
We got glimpses of what we wanted to see on offense. Jitters, mistakes, misses, whatever.
If defense can dial up the pressure we still can be a 5-6 win team that finishes strong and recruits well again in the off season.

Give Key your full support because that’s what a GT fan does.
Four bad years will do that. My Florida buddies tell me that Florida Field which seats about 90,000 is hardly ever full any more unless they are playing Tennessee. Never thought I would see that after years of seeing fans holding up fingers for tickets with none to be had in Gainesville. Never thought Florida with all their resources would tolerate three bad coaches in a row either but it goes to show that fans will tolerate mediocrity and lousy coaches for only so long. Nebraska, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, and other one time feared football factories living on past glories. It can happen that quickly.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'm really worried what a good QB is going to do against this defense. Other than his broken play running ability, I think Plummer is a below-average QB and cost his team points with poor throws. Unless we get more pressure / tackle better, I can see Ole Miss beating us by 4 scores
I never thought of Plummer as having "broken play running ability" but being decisive with the ball counts for something. If we don't get a whole lot better on defense real quick, Mississippi is going to run us right out of the stadium. We can hang with them but the defensive line has got to get pressure on the quarterback otherwise we will have another track meet on our hands that we cannot possibly win.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I never thought of Plummer as having "broken play running ability" but being decisive with the ball counts for something. If we don't get a whole lot better on defense real quick, Mississippi is going to run us right out of the stadium. We can hang with them but the defensive line has got to get pressure on the quarterback otherwise we will have another track meet on our hands that we cannot possibly win.
You are correct on the DL needing to get pressure. With the players on our roster I don't see that happening unfortunately. We really were not good at it last year with a top 50 NFL pick playing DE. This year he is gone and so is the pass rush.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Four bad years will do that. My Florida buddies tell me that Florida Field which seats about 90,000 is hardly ever full any more unless they are playing Tennessee. Never thought I would see that after years of seeing fans holding up fingers for tickets with none to be had in Gainesville. Never thought Florida with all their resources would tolerate three bad coaches in a row either but it goes to show that fans will tolerate mediocrity and lousy coaches for only so long. Nebraska, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, and other one time feared football factories living on past glories. It can happen that quickly.
The Swamp sold out 5/7 games last year. You or your friend are just straight up lying. The swamp is packed all the time