Louisville Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Curry graded out as our best pass rusher last night, but was also graded as our worst tackler. Both his grades were significant outliers in terms of the rest of the defense.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
More than that, they entered this game 14th out of 15 ACC teams in 3rd down conversion rate at 34% and they got 53% against us (even with the late stops). Our interior D line and our LB play did not impress, and the secondary left many guys wide open. Thank goodness they produced the TO's...that was a saving grace! (And they DID manufacture them, those weren't poor choices by L'ville, we stripped the ball out.)

Without the +3 TO differential, they would have clearly scored mid 30's against us. And that from a team whose offense is fair at best. If the middling' teams in the league can score mid 30's against our D without those TO problems, it put enormous pressure on our young QB to score on every possession.

If we can't find some answers on D, we are likely to lose the next 5 games (Clemson, @BC, Notre Dame, Pitt, @Miami), leaving us with two reasonable chances for wins at the end of the season (vs Duke and N C State) in our quest to improve on 3-8.

I surely hope I am wrong and this team makes me eat my words.
Call me crazy but i think we win 1-2 of those next 5, this IS the ACC afterall....

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
this was totally inexcusable by espn. they completely ignored our game to broadcast her worthless blather.

Agreed. I don’t know if I’ve ever been that frustrated watching a broadcast in my life. I literally muted the tv for like 5 minutes after she had been going for at least 5 minutes.

What made me the most angry was the Harvin seemingly pinned them inside the 5. One of our guys looked like he made a great play to keep the ball from going in the endzone and then two other guys downed it.

We got not replay, no comment, just some woman chatting about a game like it was the most I lost any thing she’s ever talked about without taking a breath. Did anyone else think the Vall should’ve been downed inside the 5 there or am I crazy?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. I don’t know if I’ve ever been that frustrated watching a broadcast in my life. I literally muted the tv for like 5 minutes after she had been going for at least 5 minutes.

What made me the most angry was the Harvin seemingly pinned them inside the 5. One of our guys looked like he made a great play to keep the ball from going in the endzone and then two other guys downed it.

We got not replay, no comment, just some woman chatting about a game like it was the most I lost any thing she’s ever talked about without taking a breath. Did anyone else think the Vall should’ve been downed inside the 5 there or am I crazy?
that was an excellent play, and they ignored it because we had to listen to some chick who's hot for the cu and um qb's given them verbal foreplay.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

At least you got to see the game. In Wisconsin , I could not watch it at all.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow

Unfortunately there is a slight difference in the nfl and college on that rule. In college if it crosses the end line it’s a touchback where in the nfl you can toss it back if your feet or the ball doesn't touch the end zone. It seemed to me the ball crosses the line and it was a touchback as ruled on the field. I hate that rule.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately there is a slight difference in the nfl and college on that rule. In college if it crosses the end line it’s a touchback where in the nfl you can toss it back if your feet or the ball doesn't touch the end zone. It seemed to me the ball crosses the line and it was a touchback as ruled on the field. I hate that rule.
This is what I saw too.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
It's really the only possibility. The ball went through the EZ, so either he stepped out, he broke the plane, or he fumbled for a touchback. The flag doesn't stop you from having to call one of those 3 things. He called the play dead short of the goal. Obviously there was no forward progress stopped or runner down possibility, so that means he thought he stepped out. He didn't as per the replay, but the foot was razor close to the chalk so it's not an unreasonable call in full speed. He's the only guy to make the call, needing to observe both the goal and the sideline at the same time. Not easy. Wish we had an overhead camera for plays like this and some technology to correct for perspective distortion and time link with different cameras frame by frame so we could combine events visible in one view but not another and know exactly when one happens relative to each other.
This is what happened. He spotted the ball at the point where it appeared he stepped out (which after replay it was clear he did not). The odd thing to me is that there was clear and definitive proof that he was not down short of the endzone but it was impossible to determine with the camera angles on if the ball crossed the plane of the endzone before he fumbled. So basically they can prove the call on the field was wrong but can't determine what the right call would be.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great win for the team. I hope no turnovers is the start of a new trend, Now we need to work on the kicking game.

If we play to what we showed last night we could beat Duke, NC State, Pitt, and BC. UM, ND, Clemson I think we lose. But again, let's see what UM really has. If they get blown out tonight then they are pretenders again Beat the 4 I said, and we go to a bowl. Which should be our goal for this year and next.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This game is why I’m on board with giving Collins multiple seasons to recruit before passing negative comments. Right now today, with 1 full class he recruited we can be competitive with any team in the country not a factory. Not saying we win every game against non-factories, but if we play a clean game we have the talent to win. His recruiting of Key, Choice, Griffin, Sims, and Gibbs gives us a shot every game. The difference in this team from last year to this year is amazing. Key deserves a raise because our OLine has taken a huge stride forward and allows our weapons to be utilized. We will lose our fair share because of youth and too many holes to fill, But, give him another 2-3 classes and we’ll have talent all over the field. That’s all we can ask for in this era of factories.

I was sitting on about the north 20 in the lower east, and it sure looked to me like it should have been downed on the one yard line. Somebody in chat said that once a ball crosses the goal line in the air, whether it is slapped back by a man off his feet or not, it's a touchback. First time I ever heard that. Someone else just posted that above. Like I said, that's the first time I have ever heard that rule.