Louisville at GT Easter Weekend

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought that the staff might have turned a corner after the last two games, but I forgot that they had to pitch again.
The two errors from Bailey on the shoulda been double play in the 4th was killer followed by the error from Craport. Curry really should've gotten out of the 4th without giving up any runs. Instead he had to throw 20-25 more pitches and then left too many balls up the following inning.

Like we've said over and over, this team cannot overcome errors and mental lapses.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The two errors from Bailey on the shoulda been double play in the 4th was killer followed by the error from Craport. Curry really should've gotten out of the 4th without giving up any runs. Instead he had to throw 20-25 more pitches and then left too many balls up the following inning.

Like we've said over and over, this team cannot overcome errors and mental lapses.
You're right. Curry was shutting them down up until that point and those errors just seemed to deflate the team. I still wish that the staff wouldn't have given up 8 walks.

It was nice to see King, Gooden, and Dulaney get some work. I wish Hall would use them more (especially Gooden and Dulaney) just to get them experience and some innings.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's been hashed out plenty of times here, but the take-home message is this.

You lose 0.25 expected runs by bunting a runner from 2nd to 3rd. And that assumes the bunt is successful.

Thanks. I had never seen these stats for college and thought about them for bunting. "The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball" only had the MLB stats. There are times when bunting makes sense in MLB.

One stat that is needed is the percentage of times a sac bunt results in a hit in college; e.g. no out. But I'm not about to argue that either we bunt well. So these stats would seem to hold up in general (at some point I may compare to the MLB stats).

All three phases of our game are imploding and I think it's interrelated. Bad pitching where we can't throw strikes leads to more pressure on fielding and hitting to pick up the slack. Bad fielding leads to bad pitching since the errors put more players on and the pitchers are afraid to put the ball in play. More opposing team scoring leads to the batters pressing more and not being as patient and trying to hit HRs.

Other than that ......

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
..... It was nice to see King, Gooden, and Dulaney get some work. I wish Hall would use them more (especially Gooden and Dulaney) just to get them experience and some innings.

Just like football for me with the QB. Do everything you can to get the backup QB real experience since the starting QB is likely to be hurt at some point.

In this case where we are only fighting for last place in the ACC, I'd pitch the Fr and So as much as possible. It *should* help next year. No reason to pitch King; at least no reason for the team.

Just like football for me with the QB. Do everything you can to get the backup QB real experience since the starting QB is likely to be hurt at some point.

In this case where we are only fighting for last place in the ACC, I'd pitch the Fr and So as much as possible. It *should* help next year. No reason to pitch King; at least no reason for the team.
Your points are too logical. What you are suggesting is obviously the right thing to do, but I'm 100% confident that it will not happen. Danny's loyalty to his upper classman is not going to allow for that to happen.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Louisville is 24-1 in series final games against ACC teams. Don't count on winning today. You might bet your home that we do lose today.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Louisville is 24-1 in series final games against ACC teams. Don't count on winning today. You might bet your home that we do lose today.

But L'Ville hasn't won a Saturday series final game all season. Regardless, odds are we commit 2 or more errors, give up more than 10 and score 3 or less.

I'll be going to the dump, doing yard work and then going to Williamsburg to walk around. Well after the game, I'll check the score. It's less painful that way.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good pitching by Shadday. Glad he got pulled before he got buried. Only gave up 2 hits. 85 pitches with 47 strikes ain't a great ratio (55%) and he was usually pitching from behind (10 1st pitch strikes in 22 batters). But the most important thing is he only allowed two runs in 5.2 IP. So a very good outing.

Datoc ok so far. And then Ryan? Please Lord/Pachamama let us win one.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Anybody recall the go-ahead run? I would NOT have sent Kel home from 2nd on single to a charging RF'er EVEN though there were 2 outs AND on previous play RF had an errant throw too.

Bottom line... isolating that play... we would NOT have taken lead in that inning if I were in charge.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sac bunt leads to insurance run :cautious: 4-2.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please win.