Locker Room Renovation Underway

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not complaining about the extra money. I think the soccer fans are going to miss playing the games in Bobby Dodd. Its a great place to watch events.

Agree. Most of my soccer buddies never stepped foot on GT campus until Atl United played there. They were gushing after the first game because no matter where they sat, and they were all spread out, there was not a bad seat. Also, they enjoyed how close GT was to restaurants and bars which made pre and post game revelry pretty darn easy. Also, tailgating options were plentiful and all within a few minutes walk to BDS. They're going to lose most of that once games shift to the House that Blank Demanded. Games won't be as cozy because the Benz will be cavernous, and the fields will be further away. Yes, it's going to be nice and shiny with better concessions, but all the other factors which makes going to sports events an event will lose its luster.

The only issue they had with GT was the long concession lines because of alcohol, but I'm not sure how much GT had to do with it.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited that the locker rooms are going to get a renovation soon. While so greatly needed, they are far from an embarrassment. If dated, at least they are maintained well. Every time I have walked through, I am gripped by the sense of place. This is the home of the Yellow Jackets!

But, they deserve more. That's for sure. I can't imagine what our effort to catch up a bit will bring us. It should be a fine facility when it's all done.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
While true, it doesn't apply exclusively to Tech. If a recruit is highly motivated (and he has to be to have GT in the mix), he can get an excellent education at most major colleges. It just that he can't goof off and take an easy route to a degree at Tech, while other major colleges actually encourage the easy academic route.

But this points out why we have to remain competitive in terms of facilities. Not necessarily the best or most luxurious, but at least competitive because the excellent education part isn't exclusive to GT.
They sold 55,000 tickets ?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The contract reported by the AJC was for Atlanta United to pay $275k specifically for locker room renovations. That certainly won't get you entirely new, state of the art, locker rooms. However, hopefully that will provide Tech with some improvements that can be taken advantage of until we do our own full renovation project in the coming years. Not sure if that has in fact come to pass, but I would assume so.

By the way, looks like Home Depo must still be giving away tens of thousands of free tickets to its employees each game for the stadium to keep selling out ; )
. They gave away tickets to the first game, when the upper north was open. I still believe if football tickets were as cheap as the soccer tickets and they sold beer football would have 55K at every game. When people are comparing ticket prices they dont take into account the GTAA donation that is mandatory for good seats. The soccer prices are a great deal. Atlanta is a perfect place for soccer. I grew up in Tucker Ga and we used to drag race on Jimmy Carter Blvd. The population has deff changed towards the soccer ( as a major sport) population.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Looks really nice. Will it get us more wins? Will the new unis? Time will tell. I’m not trying to be a horse’s rear end but I’ve seen pictures of the University of Texas’ new locker rooms. Each player has a 42” TV above their locker and the lockers are so clean and neat that they look like they can do double-duty as self-worshipping shrines. Texas has averaged six wins per season over the past decade.

The locker rooms and uniforms probably needed updating, no doubt. I know that the philosophy is that better facilities should get more recruits to look our way. Will it work for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Looks really nice. Will it get us more wins? Will the new unis? Time will tell. I’m not trying to be a horse’s rear end but I’ve seen pictures of the University of Texas’ new locker rooms. Each player has a 42” TV above their locker and the lockers are so clean and neat that they look like they can do double-duty as self-worshipping shrines. Texas has averaged six wins per season over the past decade.

The locker rooms and uniforms probably needed updating, no doubt. I know that the philosophy is that better facilities should get more recruits to look our way. Will it work for us?

Texas also spent $7M on theirs. So like most things in life, Georgia Tech will do it better and for less money.

I love the blue. Just like with our uniforms, the contrast with white pops out. Most schools have tertiary colors, like Clemson's purple. You wear your primary color to the games and leave the uniforms and what not to the players. :)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Texas has averaged six wins per season over the past decade.

I will take your word on this. This is absolutely astonishing. UT has to be one of the top 5 or 6 jobs in the country but just goes to show that bad management/coaching is a powerful and destructive force.

and, btw, the locker rooms are nice!

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
This is awesome. The locker current locker room is an atrocity and could be considered borderline criminal.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I’m crazy, but what the hell goes into a locker room that costs 4.5 MILLION dollars.

I mean screw the fundraising campaign and just take half a mil off and pay for it from there. Does a 4 Million dollar locker room just suck?

I mean I’m half kidding. If we need it we need it...but holy crap

Texas also spent $7M on theirs. So like most things in life, Georgia Tech will do it better and for less money.

I love the blue. Just like with our uniforms, the contrast with white pops out. Most schools have tertiary colors, like Clemson's purple. You wear your primary color to the games and leave the uniforms and what not to the players. :)
A tertiary color is just that -- a TERTIARY color. Over the past two decades at Tech, things have gotten where blue is used so much that it is, for all intents and purposes, now a primary color, and that is just WRONG. You will never see a purple tiger paw used to represent Clemson, and I for one do not want to see a blue or blue and white GT used to represent Tech.