Locker room issues?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Fwiw, a lot of tail end CPJ guys/first year or two CGC (year or two older than Juanyeh Thomas) wouldn't piss on CGC if he was on fire.

The skinny on the whole "nobody can bench 225 20x" was apparently a farce. The day they "tested" was immediately after a max out day and nobody wanted to push it hard and blow a pec.

Also the OL weight stuff is just not true
For what's it is worth. Ga State is very happy with their strength program. They were a great staff, GT did not invest in nutrition etc.. I know because I spent a ton of money on protein and food etc...

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For what's it is worth. Ga State is very happy with their strength program. They were a great staff, GT did not invest in nutrition etc.. I know because I spent a ton of money on protein and food etc...

Flea, earlier in this thread (or elsewhere) you asked about Gt returning to being a competitive program. My response was that, in essence, that really is not a priority for the school. If they make a lucky hire the next time, we might become competitive in the ACC Coastal again for what that's worth but it will be in spite of and not because of school leadership. I think your post just reinforces what most of us already know or believe. Sadly enough.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Flea, earlier in this thread (or elsewhere) you asked about Gt returning to being a competitive program. My response was that, in essence, that really is not a priority for the school. If they make a lucky hire the next time, we might become competitive in the ACC Coastal again for what that's worth but it will be in spite of and not because of school leadership. I think your post just reinforces what most of us already know or believe. Sadly enough.
I dont see more than 3 wins on the schedule next year. Im not a big fan of the " 404". Eventually you need to win some games. Hopefully Im wrong. But its not going in a good direction. I love Waffle House, but they are not giving every OL 50 K a year. College football is done. The BAG Man is legal and GT does not have any that want to pony up.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes it is nobody’s fault. The exact same thing happened to Bobby Ross. He was a very different kind of coach from Bill Curry. Both are good men. Some of Bill Curry’s players didn’t like playing for Bobby Ross. There was discord in the locker room. Things didn’t turn around until Ross was able to put most of his own players on the field (not all Curry’s players disliked Ross, but many did). You may choose not to believe me but it was discussed in the documentary that was done about our 1990 team and I spoke at length with one of our assistants from that team and he confirmed it.

I say this very specifically NOT as criticism of Ross, Curry, or any of the players. Sometimes people just don’t get along. If some of the players who came here to play for CPJ didn’t care for CGC or any of our other coaches or didn’t like the way things were going that’s OK. No criticism to them on that. But folks, it happens.

BTW, none of that excuses the record we’ve had the last three years. If accurate then it certainly was something that impacted the team but you have to push through it. The way I view this, and I’ve heard about the locker room issues from other sources I trust so I believe there to be something to it, is that the fact that those players are gone removes another barrier to having a much better record.
Some of that goes with the territory doubt, but Collins seemed pretty tone deaf and seemed to go a little out of his way with some of his comments which probably exacerbated the situation. But yeah, some locker room dissension isn't so unusual after a coaching change.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Some of that goes with the territory doubt, but Collins seemed pretty tone deaf and seemed to go a little out of his way with some of his comments which probably exacerbated the situation. But yeah, some locker room dissension isn't so unusual after a coaching change.
Good assessment. It’s totally likely his tone-deafness made a normal situation worse.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Good assessment. It’s totally likely his tone-deafness made a normal situation worse.
Hats off to both Mendenhall and Elliott for handling the UVa transition very well. This is how it ideally should go down:

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Late to this party, but all I could think of after reading the OP was:

attitude-reflects-leadership-oh-my-gawd.gif

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As bitterly divided as our fanbase has been since CPJ left it’s really not too hard to imagine that the locker room was just as bad or worse.
The solution for the fan base is to present a credible looking team on the field. The solution for the locker room is to do what every other new coach at Tech (or elsewhere) has done in their first two years. What you don’t do either to the fan base or your players is suggest that players recruited by CPJ are worthless to your team and it’s going to be the hardest job in football just to get over them. In my opinion, that made everything ten times worse.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Two things I wish we had, Georgia State's head football coach and their strength coach. They certainly are getting much more bang for their buck over there. I'm still trying to order my 333 ball cap to replace my 404 cap.

thecrowdedbooth

Georgia Tech Fan
Did Bryce give any support for how he would have insight into this? These are the types of things people love to speculate and gossip about but rarely have actual insight into.
Hey! I'm actually on here. Look at that!

But seriously, talking with players and those close to the program there was an obvious divide between players. Do not get this confused to say that they sabotaged the season. No thats a ridiculous notion.

But this is a real thing...days after COFH you can see on social media that reactions from parents and players that were leaving.

This happens with every coaching change. Often times, it has to get worse before it can get better.

thecrowdedbooth

Georgia Tech Fan
Bryce Koon is definitely a Dwag. He is a reporter for 247Sports and also on the Hive podcast with Rod McKenzie and Jonathan Leifheit. In this weeks episodes, he couldn’t help himself and was interjecting sly references to UGAg winning the championship. Someone asked him on his live Q&A this past Wednesday if he was a Tech fan and he sidestepped the question. He thinks that Collins should get to stay to coach another season even if the Jackets don’t win at least 6. That is like screaming through a megaphone that he’s a Dwag.
Didn't sidestep the question whatsoever.

The fact that Georgia won the national championship is news and that is our job as reporters. The fact that you don't like it makes no difference. I'm not going to pump sunshine into this . The program is at a cross roads , no doubt about it. but be realistic . My job isn't to be a fan

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
But this is a real thing...days after COFH you can see on social media that reactions from parents and players that were leaving.

This happens with every coaching change. Often times, it has to get worse before it can get better.
If it's still an issue in year 3, I don't think that the problem is the student athletes....

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If it's still an issue in year 3, I don't think that the problem is the student athletes....
I agree with this. The most abrasive situations ought to resolve for the most part in year one. Any lingering issues ought to come to a head and everyone ought to have clarity after year 2. I know that covid and the portal made this transition unique, but to have a significant level of unrest in year three seems to speak to larger problems.
I guess the good news is that there is no reason at all to expect in year four... we’ll know what we’ve got in a few months I guess...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am basing UCF on the last 4-5 years of football- their record, their attendance and the fact that they spanked us at home last time we played them. I am as a big a GT fan as anyone but that is just the way it is right now. Playing in the ACC is not a big deal- Tech would probably fare no better in the AAC
It is in basketball.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
We have won 9 games in three years. We lost to Citadel. We lost our last two games by 100 points. Yet our coach has a Twitter account dedicated to his shoes. If players are not fed up with it and still 100% bought in then we got the wrong players.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys, I do not doubt Bryce Koon @bkoon is recording/posting his honest opinion about the atmosphere in our locker room. The on field results have not been good and people will say things in frustration. Be careful in the wording of your replies. The Swarm will not tolerate name calling or berating players/coaches in this or other threads based on a podcast by a sports reporter.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. I love Waffle House, but they are not giving every OL 50 K a year. College football is done. The BAG Man is legal and GT does not have any that want to pony up.

@flea77, most of those who post here don't like those things either. If they did initially, the enthusiasm has certainly diminished in light of the last 3 years. I think it is quite possible that year 4 may wrap things up. A lot of our posters will be giddy when this happens. just like they were when Chan was fired or Paul retired.

However, I think your last sentence sums things up. If a change is made, whether this year or next, we will have treated the symptom. But the disease will remain. I don't think competiting for division champions in what may the worst division in college FB (in a conference whose champion didn't even go to the playoffs and lost to a MAC team iirc) will be enough to draw fans back or entice new fans or prevent beatdowns from the elite programs. It will placate us dwindling crazies who support the program I suppose but it won't be enough to fool the masses. By the masses I mean the people who don't attend or watch games, donate to the program, post on message boards, buy GT gear, etc.