Locker room issues?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think the transfer portal sort of verifies this, both for GT and college FB in general. Look at transfer portal data overall. The transfers like Joe Burrows, Jalen Hurts and Jamhyr Giggs get the headlines but the data suggests most of these guys fade into oblivion. I saw a post or article on another Tech site that tracked recent GT transfers and most of these guys are NOT really making an impact or if they are, it is down a level. The conclusion that I have come to from this data is that, for the most part, if you are second string at any school, there is a reason for that. Notable excpetions being the guys like Burrows when he was at OSU or Hurts when he was at Bama. Those guys were second string behind first round NFL draft picks. I think our incoming transfers these last few years have also supported this. We have not seen anyone perform higher than what we had expected. In fact, a few of them have NOT been what we had expected although injuries may have been an issue. I am hoping that the two incoming OL from Bama and Clemson happen to be guys who were trapped behind NFL talent. But history doesn't support this hope,

The TL;DR version - when it comes to who plays and who doesn't, I trust the people with skin in the game (coaches) over fans, parents and the media.
I am of the opinion that the portal is fine as far as it goes but it is NOT to be a replacement for recruiting your own players and developing them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Same here. I always had the feeling the Jackets could beat anybody...or lose to anybody. But always dangerous. Add to that list the win over FSU in 2015.
Got to wait till the end.
Uga - 2016
My favorite OL that year
We were down to uga With very little time left.
My whole family had abandoned me to watch the final seconds
But our coaches had team ready. On a called rollright delayed
scramble left jet got out of bounds to get in field goal range. With precesion gt ran on field and buttkicker nailed it .
THE KICK.
Uga drove down the field
THEN THE PICK.

More Content
The uga DC was new hire with Kirby. Before he had been in NFL as dc but failed badly - da bears. After 16 he got the job as hc for colorado w 6 year iirc 5$mm year contract. They sucked. He got a bigger contract at Michagan state with longer contract and the were aversge for the covid year. This year msu was very good and he has a 10 year 95$mm contract.
This guy got tricked in ladt drive of 2016 COFH.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Uga - 2016
My favorite OL that year
scramble left jet got out of bounds to get in field goal range. With precesion gt ran on field and buttkicker nailed it .
THE KICK.
Uga drove down the field
THEN THE PICK.

More Content
The uga DC was new hire with Kirby. Before he had been in NFL as dc but failed badly - da bears. After 16 he got the job as hc for colorado w 6 year iirc 5$mm year contract. They sucked. He got a bigger contract at Michagan state with longer contract and the were aversge for the covid year. This year msu was very good and he has a 10 year 95$mm contract.
This guy got tricked in ladt drive of 2016 COFH.
We beat uga in 2014 and 2016. The kick was 2014.

Am I remembering this right?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Uga - 2016
My favorite OL that year
THE KICK.
Uga drove down the field
THEN THE PICK.
What that narrative misses is that the FG unit was about to draw a DoG. Richt gave us a gift time out. Butker probably wouldn't have made the kick with another 5 yds tacked on.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

beat

Yes i think u are right.

16 was the year of D Mills.

14 was the year of miracle at uga - i saw the gt team on east side of field. 50 yd plus kick.
I should have remembered it because J Pruitt was the DC. I am not a fan.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
10 teams in the ACC this year won 6 games. It does feel like a pretty low bar to set. I think at this point everyone is just hoping for any improvement though.
It's double last year and our schedule is still an issue ...fingers crossed! Hope we turn it around is the 🗝️

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What that narrative misses is that the FG unit was about to draw a DoG. Richt gave us a gift time out. Butker probably wouldn't have made the kick with another 5 yds tacked on.
That kick made it over the crossbar with about one foot to spare, and it came within inches of being blocked.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
"Revolt"? Let them revolt and the Devil take the hindmost. Coach Collins should have used this as an excuse to clean house of malcontents and players that were not buying into the program. Be good or be gone needs to be the order of the day.
Particularly after three, three win seasons!

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Bryce Koon is definitely a Dwag. He is a reporter for 247Sports and also on the Hive podcast with Rod McKenzie and Jonathan Leifheit. In this weeks episodes, he couldn’t help himself and was interjecting sly references to UGAg winning the championship. Someone asked him on his live Q&A this past Wednesday if he was a Tech fan and he sidestepped the question. He thinks that Collins should get to stay to coach another season even if the Jackets don’t win at least 6. That is like screaming through a megaphone that he’s a Dwag.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC had better talent than us this year, and we beat them. Miami and Clemson were games we could have won. We've beaten Miami when they had better talent in the past. Also, I don't know how you can say UCF is a better program than us, and not say Pitt is too. Pitt accomplished more than UCF this year.
I am basing UCF on the last 4-5 years of football- their record, their attendance and the fact that they spanked us at home last time we played them. I am as a big a GT fan as anyone but that is just the way it is right now. Playing in the ACC is not a big deal- Tech would probably fare no better in the AAC

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC had better talent than us this year, and we beat them. Miami and Clemson were games we could have won. We've beaten Miami when they had better talent in the past. Also, I don't know how you can say UCF is a better program than us, and not say Pitt is too. Pitt accomplished more than UCF this year.
I’m sure that next year, as most years Tech will upset someone and get beat by a team that has no business beating them- happens most years. This year UNC and losing to N Illinois

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Maybe part of the reason for it is Collins' insinuations of shade thrown toward Johnson. I've seen a new manager come in and do that and it was an immediate turnoff for some employees.
Sometimes it is nobody’s fault. The exact same thing happened to Bobby Ross. He was a very different kind of coach from Bill Curry. Both are good men. Some of Bill Curry’s players didn’t like playing for Bobby Ross. There was discord in the locker room. Things didn’t turn around until Ross was able to put most of his own players on the field (not all Curry’s players disliked Ross, but many did). You may choose not to believe me but it was discussed in the documentary that was done about our 1990 team and I spoke at length with one of our assistants from that team and he confirmed it.

I say this very specifically NOT as criticism of Ross, Curry, or any of the players. Sometimes people just don’t get along. If some of the players who came here to play for CPJ didn’t care for CGC or any of our other coaches or didn’t like the way things were going that’s OK. No criticism to them on that. But folks, it happens.

BTW, none of that excuses the record we’ve had the last three years. If accurate then it certainly was something that impacted the team but you have to push through it. The way I view this, and I’ve heard about the locker room issues from other sources I trust so I believe there to be something to it, is that the fact that those players are gone removes another barrier to having a much better record.