Line opens at Tech +29 for COFH

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You really think they have nothing to show for it? They are dominating their division, won an sec title, are beating the piss out of their rivals, cleaning up in recruiting, have been in the CFP convo 3 straight seasons, and are positioned to stay there for the foreseeable future.
Agreed sadly... CFB is in a weird place if a coach can win his conference and still have someone say "has nothing to show for it."

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
This is going to be another episode of the dawgs whooping Tech, lets be realistic here. 2012 all over again. 49-7, UGA will put in the scrubs towards the end. It is what it is.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
With Ugag spending that much its amazing he has had this long, Our fan base would crucify our coach if we spent the most money in college football in recruiting, and had a top 5 budget every year, and nothing to show for it. Its no surprise the teams at the top have spent the most money
3 straight divisional titles, one conference title, one National Championship appearance, 41-11 overall and 25-7 in conference play over 4 seasons =/= nothing to show for it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You really think they have nothing to show for it? They are dominating their division, won an sec title, are beating the piss out of their rivals, cleaning up in recruiting, have been in the CFP convo 3 straight seasons, and are positioned to stay there for the foreseeable future.
So you’re saying they’re roughly in the same boat they’ve been for the past 38 years?

What’s new? They’re winning the division more? I think that has way more to do with Tennessee and Florida being bad during that time than it does with how much better they’ve gotten. LSU is going to massacre them in the SECCG. Alabama would do the same with Tua (maybe without as well).

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
This is going to be another episode of the dawgs whooping Tech, lets be realistic here. 2012 all over again. 49-7, UGA will put in the scrubs towards the end. It is what it is.

2012 was definitely really bad, but was also a strange game. In 2012, Tech lost by 32, but actually had more yards than UGA (426 vs 379), had more first downs (26 vs 18), and dominated possession for 39:50. Honestly, if we lose big on the scoreboard but can put in an offensive performance anything like that, I would consider it a success on Saturday.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
They seem to have thrown down the gauntlet. There's a spending arms race going on throughout college football, and UGA has long viewed itself as a premiere program that "deserves" a national championship. There's a lot of embarrassment within UGA circles that they haven't won since '80 -- not just in Athens, but all over the state where you have prominent UGA alumni. They've pulled out all the stops to get it done.

With the close calls Georgia has had in recent years, I feel that if they don't get it done this year, they may never have a shot at a title for a long time. Kirby Smart was brought in to do one thing, to win a title and not just to have 10 or 11-win seasons. They were already doing that with Coach Richt. I'd always felt if they hadn't run CMR out of town, they eventually would have had their national championship... and he would have retired a legend there. Coach Smart is one of the best recruiters in college football right now, but Coach Richt and his staff were nearly every bit as good. Both coaches have/had difficulty coaching up the talent on their rosters. Historically, a lot of talent gets wasted at UGA. But in one significant area, Coach Richt was much better than Kirby Smart: evaluating and coaching QBs.

Right now, the news is about the success Justin Fields is having up at Ohio State. This fact isn't lost on the UGA fan base at all. Some are actually angry, not just at UGA for letting Fields go, but the fact that UGA couldn't develop his potential the way OSU could. What's not being talked about much is the quiet success Jacon Eason is having out in Washington. The Huskies are only 6-5, but Eason is putting together some decent performances. Coach Richt had a knack for mentoring QBs. He developed Stafford into a QB who'd eventually become a longtime NFL starter. Then he mentored Aaron Murray, who probably outperformed his natural gifts. I think Jacob Eason would have been his prize pupil, but he never got to coach him for one down. Eason likely would have started four years at Georgia, barring serious injury. With their running game, coupled with a pure passing threat, they would have been unstoppable. I'm glad Tech never had to face a Richt-coached Eason!

It feels a lot like '81 right now, a time when Tech was inconsequential and UGA seemed unstoppable. But then '84 happened. Georgia was heavily favored coming into that game and ended up getting blown out. Georgia will be beatable again in a few years. If Tech can keep them under 30 points this Saturday and score a touchdown or two, that would be almost as good as a victory.
Agree totally !

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
It's anyone's game. Depends which GT shows up. UGAg struggled with UT early in the game. They beat UF by only 7 and UF nearly lost to UM. I also think you all are discrediting how good VT has become. VT shut out Pitt as well, who has hung with some big players this year as well.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's anyone's game. Depends which GT shows up. UGAg struggled with UT early in the game. They beat UF by only 7 and UF nearly lost to UM. I also think you all are discrediting how good VT has become. VT shut out Pitt as well, who has hung with some big players this year as well.
I like your enthusiasm but it won't be close. Playing uga at home is like playing UVa in Charlottesville.

Poodlehead

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree that if the Kirbster falls short 2 or 3 more times and Florida and/or Tennessee return to relevance, those idiots over there will end up
giving him the Mark Richt treatment. And on another note I'd laugh like a little girl if Justin Fields led OhioSt to the title. The mutt fans
would kill themselves.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
last year was a whoop'n. We could have given them 2 downs to make a first and it wouldn't have changed a thing. We were never in that game after the first quarter.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hard for me to see this beating 51-7. This year's GT vs the dwags of the last couple of years, maybe. But I am not sure their offense could score 50 on a Pop Warner team right now.

I think they will beat us handily but for something like 51-3 to occur there will need to be two things going on: We will need to just quit like we did that year which ain't happening and UGA would need to have explosive big plays which has happened but not in bunches. This version of the dwags is not a scoring machine by any stretch but has outstanding defense and a very good offensive line. Likely as not they will blow us out but not in true melt down fashion.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So you’re saying they’re roughly in the same boat they’ve been for the past 38 years?

What’s new? They’re winning the division more? I think that has way more to do with Tennessee and Florida being bad during that time than it does with how much better they’ve gotten. LSU is going to massacre them in the SECCG. Alabama would do the same with Tua (maybe without as well).

I don't know what to think about LSU. I really did not think their defense was very good but they seemed to have athletes (naturally). Their offense is very hard to stop because of those receivers and the quarterback. He goes back to pass and it seems as though most of them are wide open on just about every play. They can score in a hurry and before you know it the game has slipped away from you. This is what happened to Alabama they jus t could not keep up with the Bayou scoring parade.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Biggest issue for us will be our O staying on the field to give our D a breather and shortening the game. would probably be best to run more options this game as their d line is tough to block and would put them on their heels. For the D, they cannot lose contain against Swift, infact we will need our best tackling game to date.