Let's speculate on starters if we get Woody

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I really struggle to figure out why professional coaches, men who evaluate every day for a living, don't know what so many of us on a message board are so certain of. Then having figured that out, we decide the coaches are bad. I think that is a self-fulfilling prophecy. And very few of us on the board, very few, know enough to judge such things.
Speek for your self!!!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Time to resurrect this thread. Who wins NT is the biggest question. 2nd is who plays at / wins OLB jobs.

Adams easily wins the NT position.

OLB field - AJ Gray or Jalen Johnson - Christian Campbell aslo here potentially

OLB boundary - Vic Alexander

DE - Branch
DE- Simmons

Will- BJS
Mike Mitchell

Field Corner - Kerr
Boundary Corner - Simmons or Carpenter
SS - Gray or Jalen Johnson depending on who wins the other job
FS - Not sure

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Adams easily wins the NT position.

OLB field - AJ Gray or Jalen Johnson - Christian Campbell aslo here potentially

OLB boundary - Vic Alexander

DE - Branch
DE- Simmons

Will- BJS
Mike Mitchell

Field Corner - Kerr
Boundary Corner - Simmons or Carpenter
SS - Gray or Jalen Johnson depending on who wins the other job
FS - Not sure
I'll be surprised if Simmons starts at DE.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
NT - Adams/Glanton/KCH?? (TKC longshot)
DE - Branch
DE - ASA, Merriweather (intriguing prospects: Alston,Luke Johns)
ILB - Mitchell, BJS
ILB - Vic / BJS
OLB - ??? Gray, Jalen Johnson, Cooksey, Brashear, Curry, (TF Dingle, Jackson)???

Decisions at OLB could have huge impact on who plays safety / who starts in the secondary. Extremely interested to see how this shakes out in the spring.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
One idiot's opinion...

DE: B Glanton/ Owens
DT: B Adams/KCH/ T Chimedza
DE: D Branch/ L Johns

OLB: Anree Saint-Amout/ T Merriweather/ J Dingle
ILB: B. Mitchell/ Vik Alexander/ Tre Jackson
ILB: BJS/ Vik Alexande/ Tre Jackson
OLB: D Curry/ T Cooksey/ J Johnson/ J Jackson

CB: Kerr/ T Swilling/ J Askew
CB: Simmons/ D Williams
SS: Gray/ T Carpenter/ A Showell
FS: Campbell/ K Oliver/ G Bonds

Not sure about Vik's role in the 3-4. He seems too small to be rush OLB and not nimble enough to be boundary OLB.

Last edited:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised people keep putting BJS at ILB.

It seems like Woody wants his most dynamic players/athletes at OLB, and he's probably the best raw athlete on the defense.

Well, he certainly is not going to be edge rush OLB in a 3-4. I agree that he will not be the Mike ILB, but he could be the Will ILB if not the boundary OLB.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Just curious, how easy is it for players to switch schemes in one season? Will it take a couple years to get adjusted or should they pick it up pretty easily?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, how easy is it for players to switch schemes in one season? Will it take a couple years to get adjusted or should they pick it up pretty easily?
When he was hired at App State he was on record as saying "18-months to be fully implemented" I'm not sure if that still applies or longer due to Tech's course load? I know no one is going to give him longer than 6 games though.

slugboy

Staff member
You might get some smart alec responses to your question, but...
  • I think we were as good in "picking up" Groh's scheme in the first year as in any
  • I think the players were pretty good in Tenuta's scheme in year 1. Yes, they got better, but they were pretty good pretty fast.
  • Players picked up CPJ's offense pretty quickly, and our first year there was good
  • Players picked up Fridgen's offense pretty quickly
In all the situations that were GOOD, they improved in the first year, and they improved in the years after that. In the situations that weren't good, they picked up as much as they were going to pick up in the first year.
(This isn't exact, and I'll probably catch some flack, but it seems "accurate enough" to me)
So, I'm not worried about the first year. I'm worried about it working and players buying in enough to get deeper and better in year 2 and beyond.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
What he will face in the ACC is a lot different than SoCon. What he'll have at GT will be significantly different than at App St.

DT: B Adams/KCH/
DE: D Branch/ Martin

OLB: Anree Saint-Amout/ K. Dawson
ILB: B. Mitchell/ J Dingle
ILB: BJS/Vic Alexander
OLB: Henderson/Jackson

CB: Kerr/ J Askew
CB: Simmons/T Swilling
SS: Gray/ J.Johnson/T Carpenter/ A Showell
FS: Campbell/ G Bonds/K Oliver

The only place I see freshman on the 2 Deep is at linebacker.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What he will face in the ACC is a lot different than SoCon. What he'll have at GT will be significantly different than at App St.

DT: B Adams/KCH/
DE: D Branch/ Martin

OLB: Anree Saint-Amout/ K. Dawson
ILB: B. Mitchell/ J Dingle
ILB: BJS/Vic Alexander
OLB: Henderson/Jackson

CB: Kerr/ J Askew
CB: Simmons/T Swilling
SS: Gray/ J.Johnson/T Carpenter/ A Showell
FS: Campbell/ G Bonds/K Oliver

The only place I see freshman on the 2 Deep is at linebacker.
I think Dawson beefed up to be a DT last year and I hope that Kaleb Oliver becomes an OLB. I think that he could be a double digit sack guy at OLB.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Dawson beefed up to be a DT last year and I hope that Kaleb Oliver becomes an OLB. I think that he could be a double digit sack guy at OLB.

Brings up a good point. These guys were changing their body types to fit the 4-3. It’ll be interesting to see how our training program will change.