Let's speculate on starters if we get Woody

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
That’s not most of his work though lol. And wouldn’t that be true for any program? I’m pretty sure he will come in and make every position an open competition anyways. He also has to teach a new system which would be most of his work.
I think he's cracking a joke about the guy a couple of posts above setting up a starting lineup. Saying now Woody doesn't have to do that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
DE Desmond Branch / Austin Smith
NT Brandon Adams / T.K. Chimedza
DE Brentavous Glanton / Kyle Henderson
ROLB Anree Saint-Amour / L. Johns
ILB Brant Mitchell / J. Henderson
ILB Bruce Jordan-Swilling / Q. Jackson
LOLB Vic Alexander / J.Dingle
RCB Lamont Simmons / A. Kerr
LCB Tre Swilling / J.King
SS AJ Gray/J.Cole
FS T. Carpenter or Gentry Bonds or C. Campbell

Nickel/Dime....4-2-5 situations
NB - Kaleb Oliver or J. King

When you list a bunch of true freshman, red shirt freshmen, and backups who have only played sparingly in your two deep....you are displaying a lot of wishful thinking.

I won't complain if a bunch of them win staring jobs though.

GTFLETCH

Banned
If you look at our roster we are pretty young especially when you factor in all the transfers in recent years. With a new DC I am sure there will be an open competition....

Maybe it is wishful thinking maybe not.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
A Ton of Secondary depth;
Avery Showell
Tariq Carpenter
Kaleb Oliver
Jaylen Jackson
Tre Swilling
Jalen Johnson
AJ Gray
Gentry Bonds
Lamont Simmons
Christian Campbell
Jaytlin Askew
Ajani Kerr
Dameon Williams
Jaylon King
Charlie Thomas
Juanyeh Thomas
Zamari Walton

Mostly young guys too.
Corner 1.
Lamont Simmons
Corner 2.
Ajani Kerr/Jaytlin Askew

Safety 1
AJ Gray
Safety 2
Jalen Johnson

Nickel/Rover/OLB/Safety
Tariq Carpenter

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The secondary depth makes for really good competition. That's what I hope happens. The best most talented win out and go from there. Not based on seniority.

Also I think some of the "hybrid" guys will move to OLB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The secondary depth makes for really good competition. That's what I hope happens. The best most talented win out and go from there. Not based on seniority.

Also I think some of the "hybrid" guys will move to OLB.

Jalen Johnson should have been a LB...hope Woody moves him there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He'll be a senior, why?
He's lanky. I'm fine with him at safety. New staff will take a look at things. 2 big safeties is not a bad thing.

He doesn't have the range for safety. He is the prototypical athlete (speed/size/atheleticism) that you take and turn into a stud LB.

You're right though. He's a senior. Transition to LB should have been done years ago instead of flipping back and forth between WR and DB. Given our LB problems in the past, it's a shame our coaches didn't think outside of the box more with Jalen Johnson.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He doesn't have the range for safety. He is the prototypical athlete (speed/size/atheleticism) that you take and turn into a stud LB.

You're right though. He's a senior. Transition to LB should have been done years ago instead of flipping back and forth between WR and DB. Given our LB problems in the past, it's a shame our coaches didn't think outside of the box more with Jalen Johnson.
I really struggle to figure out why professional coaches, men who evaluate every day for a living, don't know what so many of us on a message board are so certain of. Then having figured that out, we decide the coaches are bad. I think that is a self-fulfilling prophecy. And very few of us on the board, very few, know enough to judge such things.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really struggle to figure out why professional coaches, men who evaluate every day for a living, don't know what so many of us on a message board are so certain of. Then having figured that out, we decide the coaches are bad. I think that is a self-fulfilling prophecy. And very few of us on the board, very few, know enough to judge such things.

LOL.

Coaches >>>> Fans

That said, coaches are wrong as well. See: Groh with Julian Burnett, and Jemea Thomas. Gailey had a 2 time All ACC center under his nose playing DT on the scout team. There's a lot of instances, but you're correct that fans are probably more wrong than right compared to coaches.

Personally, I see Jalen Johnson at 6'3 220lbs, that can run, and is physical...and I hate seeing that wasted at a position he's buried at. Especially when our LBs could use more help.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
LOL.

Coaches >>>> Fans

That said, coaches are wrong as well. See: Groh with Julian Burnett, and Jemea Thomas. Gailey had a 2 time All ACC center under his nose playing DT on the scout team. There's a lot of instances, but you're correct that fans are probably more wrong than right compared to coaches.

Personally, I see Jalen Johnson at 6'3 220lbs, that can run, and is physical...and I hate seeing that wasted at a position he's buried at. Especially when our LBs could use more help.
What's your take on Campbell?

GTFLETCH

Banned
What's your take on Campbell?
I think he will have a shot to earn a safety spot, however with the depth, recent recruits, he might make two deep if he can not out right win a job... One thing I think will happen is folks who do not play next year (Especially Secondary, may transfer)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
LOL.

Coaches >>>> Fans

A good point well made.