Let's keep some perspective here on our NEW HC

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Like we say in golf: it's not the pictures, it's the numbers.
My golf number is fore!
Golf GIF

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I like Key as GT coach. Actually do some serious reading on Deion. He is way more than the media image. He is excellent in growing his players into men.
Well said. I’m a fan of Deion’s and hope he has success. I would not have minded one bit if he had been named our head coach but I never thought that was realistic either on his end or ours for various reasons. I like Brent and would love nothing more than to see him be the guy who leads us back to where we want to be. I don’t know if he will but I hope he does.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good summary at the halfway point.

Since anyone can look this up, I'll share it:

Freshman Aidan Birr was inserted into the lineup and hasn’t left since. Birr is 7-for-8 on his field goal attempts and 12-for-12 on extra points.

Seems like we found our answer for FGs. Nice and boring on FGs...just the way I like it...

JacketFan137

Banned
Well, there’s that. But Alabama has done that for as long as I can remember and the college football world is ambivalent at worst about it while loving the winning. What cha gonna do.
“processing” athletes has been a term for soooo long. deion just was just very open about it and in an era where people want participation trophies that has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

if key could he would do the exact same we just have little NIL funds and we’d probably have to work a little harder to find academic qualifiers

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Well said. I’m a fan of Deion’s and hope he has success. I would not have minded one bit if he had been named our head coach but I never thought that was realistic either on his end or ours for various reasons. I like Brent and would love nothing more than to see him be the guy who leads us back to where we want to be. I don’t know if he will but I hope he does.

I'm good without the playing the victim mentality non stop.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well, there’s that. But Alabama has done that for as long as I can remember and the college football world is ambivalent at worst about it while loving the winning. What cha gonna do.
But but but, we are not talking about Bama, we are discussing what a great molder of young men Prime is and how much he cares about them and HBC’s until he doesn’t need them anymore.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
In light of the passing of **** Butkus, you might ask Bill if he'd share any of his memories of playing against him.
Coach Curry told us during an OL meeting in 1976 that Butkus was the only guy that he ever had to block who "frightened" him.....

I think you might like the attached. This is from Bill's book, "Ten Men you Meet in The Huddle". This chapter was about another great linebacker, Ray Nitschke. Ray and Bill had a less than amiable relationship when they played together with the Packers. I recommend the book if you can find it to get the hold story about Nitsche plus Bobby Dodd, Bart Starr, Vince Lombardi and others.

However, Bill inserted this story about Butkus.

Attachments

• **** Butkus.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 62

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
All of these guys had a years long track record of success as at least a coordinator at the college level prior to the years cited here. Kirby is the only one who didn't have head coach experience. The rest did and it was generally pretty good experience. CBK doesn't have anywhere near that kind of track record so I don't think this is a useful comparison.
Ryan Day at Ohio State had less of a resume than Coach Key. He had a little more coordinator experience but less Asst HC experience.

Not to mention the throngs of experienced coaches that sucked or were mediocre after getting hired.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I hope CBK learns to keep it simple and not out think himself. Go with the fundamental teachings that GOL and NS taught him and he will do well IMO. Good recruiter, willing to self examine, good teacher, kids like playing for him, coaches like working with him and I'm guessing for him and he has other things going for him, just build with the core values he has learned and in time we will get there IMO. I can be patient when I see where we are coming from and progress is being made to eventually take us to the "promise land". I'm seeing that and hope others will see also. Will he make mistakes, you betcha but I'm guessing he learns quickly. If you're not making mistakes you're backing up IMO. The thing I most like is he is young, hungry, seems to have his feet on the ground and great training. He understands and loves his GT. GO JACKETS!

JacketFan137

Banned
I hope CBK learns to keep it simple and not out think himself. Go with the fundamental teachings that GOL and NS taught him and he will do well IMO. Good recruiter, willing to self examine, good teacher, kids like playing for him, coaches like working with him and I'm guessing for him and he has other things going for him, just build with the core values he has learned and in time we will get there IMO. I can be patient when I see where we are coming from and progress is being made to eventually take us to the "promise land". I'm seeing that and hope others will see also. Will he make mistakes, you betcha but I'm guessing he learns quickly. If you're not making mistakes you're backing up IMO. The thing I most like is he is young, hungry, seems to have his feet on the ground and great training. He understands and loves his GT. GO JACKETS!
adjusting the staff with thacker showed he’s willing to correct mistakes