Let the Hype train Begin...

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Goodness I hope none of the team is feeling like some of the posters on here ;) I never played a game in any sports that I was afraid to play and didn't think we would win. Of course that didn't always happen but I can't believe any athlete worth being on scholarship is afraid of any opponent they face. Line up the Vols, the Jackets are going to kick their a**es. As to all the injuries they weren't banged up when Appy State kicked their O line and D line all over the field.

Last edited:

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
We've got to figure out how to not start slow like we do every year.
I think this is a bigger myth than reality...

2008 - Started 6-1
2009 - Didn't lose our 2nd game of the year til we played the mutts
2010 - Started 5-2
2011 - Started 6-0
2012 - Started 2-4 and finished 6-7...bad year all around
2013 - Started 3-3 but we were 3-0 initially with wins over Duke and UNC
2014 - Started 5-0
2015 - Straight cluster F
2016 - Started 3-3 but were 3-0 initially with wins over BC and Vandy...we then played Clemson, Miami and Pitt

Deleted member 2897

I think this is a bigger myth than reality...

2008 - Started 6-1
2009 - Didn't lose our 2nd game of the year til we played the mutts
2010 - Started 5-2
2011 - Started 6-0
2012 - Started 2-4 and finished 6-7...bad year all around
2013 - Started 3-3 but we were 3-0 initially with wins over Duke and UNC
2014 - Started 5-0
2015 - Straight cluster F
2016 - Started 3-3 but were 3-0 initially with wins over BC and Vandy...we then played Clemson, Miami and Pitt

I wasn't referring to the record, but rather the quality of play. Look back at 2014 when we started 5-0 and finished 11-3. We played sluggish in the opening games and needed a late miracle to beat Georgia Southern in game 3. We then scored 10 points at the very end of the game through more 4th down conversions and Virginia Tech handing us an interception on their side of the field in game 4. We lost game 6 and 7 to Duke and North Carolina who finished with 15 wins...total between them. In game 8 @ Pitt who knows what would have happened had we not gotten 5 fumbles in the first several minutes and been spotted 28 points (the final margin of the game).

To me, injuries were a tremendous issue in 2015, but I felt like we also didn't play that well and got the opposite of all the breaks we got in 2014. We can't afford to start slow and hope we get all the breaks we got in 2014.

sportsball

Georgia Tech Fan
I only see 5 safe wins for next year, am I crazy? (UCF, Jvill St, UVA, Dook, WF). IF we can split the remaining ACC games ~50/50 (VT, Pitt, Clem Kollege, Miami, and UNC) and 1 of the SEC games, then we've got another 8/9 win season on our hands. I'd take it!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Looking at what the teams in the Costal lost to graduation and early entry to the draft and what we have returning on both sides of the ball it looks like we might be the favorite in the Costal Division. Which means we will end up being picked 3rd.... As far as our record don't see any games at BDS that we could lose. Maybe VT but they've been hit hardest by the draft. As far as road games probably Clemson and Miami as loses. The Tennessee game will be a toss up. They lose a lot too but have talent and an entire spring/fall to prep for us. As far as a record, if we stay healthy and MJ can throw the ball I say 9-3/10-2.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Looking at what the teams in the Costal lost to graduation and early entry to the draft and what we have returning on both sides of the ball it looks like we might be the favorite in the Costal Division. Which means we will end up being picked 3rd.... As far as our record don't see any games at BDS that we could lose. Maybe VT but they've been hit hardest by the draft. As far as road games probably Clemson and Miami as loses. The Tennessee game will be a toss up. They lose a lot too but have talent and an entire spring/fall to prep for us. As far as a record, if we stay healthy and MJ can throw the ball I say 9-3/10-2.
I'll take being picked 3rd in the coastal over being picked 1st because they're always wrong

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow

I would take being picked third. Not like CPJ ever pays attention to that stuff anyways, lol. VT looks more in our favor now that they are losing so many in the draft. Miami is a bit of a different story. They are losing the QB and RB to the draft but a BIG portion of their young D is coming back. They may not have the offensive firepower of the past three years but their D if it progresses could be a challenge to face.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of juniors and sophmores grew up this year. Don't think they will be intimidated by much of anything. It seemed to me, FWIW, that CPJ had the team he's always wanted at Tech late last season: tough, fighters, scratchers, pounders, do-whatever-he-told-them. If they can keep that attitude and the kicking game doesn't collapse, then next season will be one you don't want to miss. Even the losses will be satisfying.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This last spring game was awful...

Want a good preseason barometer to judge the year to come? Just listen to CPJ post practice pressers. 2009 he felt confident. 2014 ditto. 2015 he sounded warning alarms I took as motivational blowing of smoke....uh no...he was shooting straight like always. 2016 mostly positive, "young but scrappy tough fighters."

CPJ won't make a preseason win / loss prediction (what coach will?) but he will let everyone know where we stand starting out and there won't be much bs to it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What's interesting is how GT improves over the course of a season.

/

I am lazy so I am not going to go back and look things up so the following could be an entire stinking mound of horse manure. But what I like about CPJ is the fact that he does appear to field teams that get better through the season and end up winning the last 3-4 games of the season (including bowls).Sure, i would like for us to be Bama from September 1st on. But we aren't. Too often in the past, it seems like we have had good seasons go sour by a late season swoon. My definition of a great season? Any that ends up with a bowl and (at least) a 2 game winning streak. Just makes for a better off season.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I am lazy so I am not going to go back and look things up so the following could be an entire stinking mound of horse manure. But what I like about CPJ is the fact that he does appear to field teams that get better through the season and end up winning the last 3-4 games of the season (including bowls).Sure, i would like for us to be Bama from September 1st on. But we aren't. Too often in the past, it seems like we have had good seasons go sour by a late season swoon. My definition of a great season? Any that ends up with a bowl and (at least) a 2 game winning streak. Just makes for a better off season.
If all a coach at Georgia Tech ever does is make bowls and beat Georgia, they'll erect a statue