Let the Hype train Begin...

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear you and I feel sure Branch is ahead of Adams right now too. However, my main point was, if we are to make substantial progress along the DL next year, it is going to have to be Adams who raises the bar. Adams could provide the anchor that makes everybody better, especially guys like Branch. If Adams fails to make progress in conditioning etc, I will be surprised to see a major change in productivity from previous seasons.

Branch vs Adams is a bad argument though because those are different types of down players. Branch I saw in on a lot of passing downs. The most memorable play to me was where he bullrushed his man back and with one arm was able to hold his man off his block and throw his other arm across the UK's QB's chest as he released the ball which caused it to fall way short. Branch is a pass rusher and we have two more years of him to watch which is exciting!!!
Adams I saw in on more run specific downs. He did a fairly good job of picking up and handling a double team. He could shed blocks ok which is better than earlier in the season as his conditioning has improved but off season is gonna make or break how much of his potential we will see. If he can start getting more inside leverage and working back to the RB or QB I will be stoked! Don't mistake me for being ungrateful that we finally have a 300+lb lineman though.
Don't forget even though we are salivating at this potential class that will sign, we still have Jordan Woods coming back next year. The addition of some high 3-star and 4-star talent on the D-line and in the LB core is critical though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Branch vs Adams is a bad argument though because those are different types of down players. Branch I saw in on a lot of passing downs. The most memorable play to me was where he bullrushed his man back and with one arm was able to hold his man off his block and throw his other arm across the UK's QB's chest as he released the ball which caused it to fall way short. Branch is a pass rusher and we have two more years of him to watch which is exciting!!!
Adams I saw in on more run specific downs. He did a fairly good job of picking up and handling a double team. He could shed blocks ok which is better than earlier in the season as his conditioning has improved but off season is gonna make or break how much of his potential we will see. If he can start getting more inside leverage and working back to the RB or QB I will be stoked! Don't mistake me for being ungrateful that we finally have a 300+lb lineman though.
Don't forget even though we are salivating at this potential class that will sign, we still have Jordan Woods coming back next year. The addition of some high 3-star and 4-star talent on the D-line and in the LB core is critical though.
Well stated. Your comments are pretty much the basis for my stance on this position group. I fully recognize Branch developing in that area of the game. Glanton looks like he could be good too. However, as nice as improving in the pass rush is for us, we need to be able to hold point in the face of drive blocking as well. It was more than alarming for me to watch the mediocre UGAg offensive line consistently push us back the way they did, especially considering how much trouble they have had establishing any kind of reliable run game against teams in their own weak conference / division. I have grown tired of watching our DTs get pushed around. We all love to yell and scream at LBs for poor run fits (some of it justified btw) when the root cause is actually gaps that are moving all over the place and DTs getting pushed back into LB laps. Gap integrity starts with a well defined gap. The more fluid it becomes, the more difficult it is to be in the right place all the time. I want better pass rush just like everybody else in GT nation. In my estimation, it is starting to come around already. Perhaps more importantly, I am ready for an era of GT football when the clash of helmets and pads on the interior right after the snap is not moving decidedly backwards nor laterally and completely at the mercy of the opposing OL. Adams can help provide that should he get himself ready.

Last edited:

ATLiensSports

Georgia Tech Fan
I feel confident in the QB situation. MJ has a 99.9 percent of starting the Tenn. game. Jordan is a very solid QB, and his passing will be better. Lucas Johnson has been very impressive, along with Jones. Jordan might start the season, but the other QB(s) will probably earn a chance for PT. Marshall has speed at the position though not much of a threat in the air. Personally I hope they move him back to A.

My worry is Linebacker. Lewis needs to be on the field. Plain and Simple. The duke game was his only real chance at PT, and I thought he took full advantage of it. He has also been a difference maker on ST's. Like it or not, Mitchell will be starting middle linebacker for us next year. He is solid against the run, but as many of you noted, very slow, especially side to side, and below average in coverage. Hopefully with the addition of Bruce, and Lewis actually being on the field our speed at the position will increase.

I believe that the young D-lineman will step up and be a force. They might be the group I am most confident in on D.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My worry is Linebacker. Lewis needs to be on the field. Plain and Simple. The duke game was his only real chance at PT, and I thought he took full advantage of it. He has also been a difference maker on ST's. Like it or not, Mitchell will be starting middle linebacker for us next year. He is solid against the run, but as many of you noted, very slow, especially side to side, and below average in coverage. Hopefully with the addition of Bruce, and Lewis actually being on the field our speed at the position will increase.

Agree with you on Lewis. He needs to see the field. No one else in our LB corp has his size/speed/athleticism combo. Looked good against Duke, but he did have some assignment issues. Not sure what happened that he couldn't even get 2nd team snaps at LB.

If rumors of Roof going with a 3-5 next year is true, it's going to help Mitchell the most. He's a good a downhill LB, but he's not built to play in a 4-2 scheme with so much space to cover. Classic run stuffer and someone to patrol to middle. Liability in pass coverage, and the new scheme will limit his exposure in passing situations.

Wonder is Roof is going to have AJ Gray play closer to the line as a pseudo OLB. I thought he lost some range this year compared to last year against the pass. To me, he's an obvious candidate to play OLB in the new scheme.

Need to get Jalen Johnson on the field. Needs to play OLB/SS role if the new scheme is being implemented.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Is cooksey big enough? Looks a little lean.

Maybe he sees the field and will take better angles/ not run into wrong gap.

Hope he gets a shot.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Same here about Lewis. Whenever his name came up, PJ and other coaches kept saying words that he doesn't know the assignments. I hope that he can fix that before next September.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there going to be a better running attack in the nation than Dedrick Mills, Qua Searcy, Clinton Lynch, and JJ Green? My goodness, tons of ability lining up there behind a nasty offensive line. Three freshman started along the line, which will only get better.

Can't think of a better situation to break in a new QB than behind this offensive line with these AB's and BB's lining up behind him.

Speaking of QB's... who is going to be the guy?

Best Passer - Lucas Johnson
Best Runner - TaQuan Marshall
Most Steady/Experienced - Matthew Jordan
X-Factor - Jay Jones

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Is there going to be a better running attack in the nation than Dedrick Mills, Qua Searcy, Clinton Lynch, and JJ Green? My goodness, tons of ability lining up there behind a nasty offensive line. Three freshman started along the line, which will only get better.

Can't think of a better situation to break in a new QB than behind this offensive line with these AB's and BB's lining up behind him.

Speaking of QB's... who is going to be the guy?

Best Passer - Lucas Johnson
Best Runner - TaQuan Marshall
Most Steady/Experienced - Matthew Jordan
X-Factor - Jay Jones
Going into spring Matthew Jordan but would not be surprised if we play two QB's the first part of the season.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Matthew Jordan is probably the safest bet... He probably knows the offense better than anyone. Against a very good Virginia Tech team, he had 32 carries for 142 yards and 2 touchdowns. He's been in the program for 4 years now, due to a redshirt. He is also bigger at 6'2'' 210+. He can run though. He isn't Justin Thomas but adds an extra dimension with his size.

Either way, I think this is a 10-11 win Georgia Tech team next year, with the ability to have a really special year after that.