Let the countdown begin.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
sports1.JPG

002a.jpg

Two of my personal favorite players right here.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clarence... used to bust our balls when he'd take those 3s, but his leadership was crucial to that Final 4 run.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We didn't talk about it but seeing Michael Maddox in I think a 20t game against UNC is a favorite memory of mine as well.
Akins against Wisconsin in the 2nd half in the ACC/B1G challenge.

Many good times.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

20th anniversary of Stephon Marbury this season. The alley oop in this video is what made me a GT fan when I was 11.

The one vs. Manhattan? I was front row behind the basket it happened on for that game? We already had a small group that were willing to spend extra time to wait in line longer for student ticket distribution and because we were playing so well that year, we started camping out overnight. Consistently had front row seats.

I'm walking across campus on a Tuesday and I notice this one dude standing in the archway of the Ferst Theater, which makes me curious. I go ask him what he was doing there and he's like REALLY not interested in talking to me. Finally admits to me they knew who my friends & I were and he was starting the line for Wake Forest tickets that year. I bug out & ring the alarm among my friends that we needed to get everyone out there tonight, which we did. After camping out for 2.5 days, one dude ballooned to about the whole first row and I end up in Seat 1, Row 2. Only game I'm not front row that year and it's for Tim Duncan & Randolph Childress and their only time they'd play against Steph. Ended up befriending those dudes. We camped out for tickets together the rest of that year and the following year, more out of tradition than us having such a great team.

Now, as is often the case, I've gotta be DTM Downer and mention this isn't the 20th anniversary of Steph on the Flats. It's next year. He played '95-'96, before the olympics.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep doing your thing. This has been great. I can only hope you find a way to squeeze Eddie Elisma in there before it's all done.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So I watched a bit of the game. Had to be one of the weaker early 2000s Kentucky teams and they still had 2 long-term NBA players in Bogans & Prince and plenty of high level recruits (I think Jason Parker, Marvin Stone, & Marquis Estill).

Our starters were Akins, Jones, Babul, Lewis, & Fein. Hotel Hewitt hadn't been built yet, but bench was Brooksy, Lane, Clarence, & TJ Vines.

A lot of those players acquitted themselves very well, while at GT, but ironically, I feel like we've got more pure talent on this team today and let's be honest, definitely better coaching. You could see brief glimpses in to the future of the CTO in that game. I LOL'd when we called for 5 seconds.