Let look at it this way ( You are the head coach what do you do)

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Whatever happens, I'm curious to see howTStan feels about not being competitive vs. our biggest rival for the two years since he's been AD ...
Especially since he's not only an Alumni been a former player ...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Whatever happens, I'm curious to see howTStan feels about not being competitive vs. our biggest rival for the two years since he's been AD ...
Especially since he's not only an Alumni been a former player ...

TStan knew we wouldn't be competitive. He's played the game. You can't have a DL that AVERAGEs 70 pounds less a person than the OL and expect anything other than an intrusive colonoscopy. UGAg was only throwing to work on that phase of the game, limit injuries and since it was the easiest way. They could have run dives all day and scored every possession.

Same thing for our O. UGAg was so much bigger stronger and faster that scheme didn't matter.

If I'm TStan, I throw out UGAg and Clemson. What really hurt was losing by punching below our weight to Duke, Pitt and USF.

slugboy

Staff member
TStan knew we wouldn't be competitive. He's played the game. You can't have a DL that AVERAGEs 70 pounds less a person than the OL and expect anything other than an intrusive colonoscopy. UGAg was only throwing to work on that phase of the game, limit injuries and since it was the easiest way. They could have run dives all day and scored every possession.

Same thing for our O. UGAg was so much bigger stronger and faster that scheme didn't matter.

If I'm TStan, I throw out UGAg and Clemson. What really hurt was losing by punching below our weight to Duke, Pitt and USF.

I already "liked" this, but totally agree. Duke, Pitt, and USF were in our weight class this year--they shouldn't be, and we need to get past their weight class and fast as our next step.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I already "liked" this, but totally agree. Duke, Pitt, and USF were in our weight class this year--they shouldn't be, and we need to get past their weight class and fast as our next step.
I agree , but I also know most every team looks at their schedule and as we look at our game with them and mark it as a win they are doing the same thing. Other than Clemson and a very few others all fans at the start of the year seeing wins. Then reality hits you start to lose starters because of injuries, you thought and read how great your OL was only to fine out well you know. But the fact is in the ACC other than Clemson and Louisville this year the other 10 team where about the same and you could win or lose.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
No one needs to go. Offense is not the issue with this team. You all need to go listen to CPJ presser. It is and always has been about the Defense at tech, regardless of Coaches. In 1999 we have the most explosive offense in the country, but go 8-4 because we can't stop anybody. do you remember that we had UGA down 17 late in the third and basically lost the game. Our offense is what keeps us in games. And the continued talk of recruiting.....our academics hurts defense recruiting, not offense. It is all about our lack of D-line and linebackers.
I laughed so hard at this.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not looking to see if you want to fired CPJ we have 150 pages on that topic.

The AD comes to your office ask you to look at your coaching staff and tell him which ones need to go stay or move to another postion.
1) Nate Woody Defensive coordinator and outside LB's
2)Craig Candeto QB's and B-backs
3) Andy McCollum inside LB's
4) Lamar Owens A -backs ST
5) Buzz Preston WR's
6) Jerome Riase DL
7) Mike Sewall OL
8) Joe Speed CB's
9) Ron West OL
10) Shiel Wood safeties

Tell why they need to be replaced or why to keep them and move them to another postion.

For me Woody is safe Riase is safe ,Wood is safe , McCollum safe but at something other then inside LB maybe Assistant head coach and ST.

What’s my budget?

Speed goes bye bye. (corners have under performed the past two 3 seasons)

Sewark gone.
Candeto (reduced)
Lamar (running back coach)
West (OL/TE)

Reshuffling the offense.
Bringing in a passing game OC/QB coach. (Kliff Kingsbury) & we gonna marry our offenses into some new and dynamic. We’ll still be run 1st option team but the flexbone is a gone as the base and we’ll pass considerably more with consistency and more explosive. Bring back the TE.

or if budges is limited go grab Ivin Jasper from Navy and make OC/QB coach.
Lamar (running backs)
West (Tackles/TE)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What’s my budget?

Speed goes bye bye. (corners have under performed the past two 3 seasons)

Sewark gone.
Candeto (reduced)
Lamar (running back coach)
West (OL/TE)

Reshuffling the offense.
Bringing in a passing game OC/QB coach. (Kliff Kingsbury) & we gonna marry our offenses into some new and dynamic. We’ll still be run 1st option team but the flexbone is a gone as the base and we’ll pass considerably more with consistency and more explosive. Bring back the TE.

or if budges is limited go grab Ivin Jasper from Navy and make OC/QB coach.
Lamar (running backs)
West (Tackles/TE)
I like but like you said "What's my budget" wonder how much the ACC network will bring in each school

Animal02

Banned
I agree , but I also know most every team looks at their schedule and as we look at our game with them and mark it as a win they are doing the same thing. Other than Clemson and a very few others all fans at the start of the year seeing wins. Then reality hits you start to lose starters because of injuries, you thought and read how great your OL was only to fine out well you know. But the fact is in the ACC other than Clemson and Louisville this year the other 10 team where about the same and you could win or lose.
WRT losing starters......Tech will always have a thin bench in almost every sport. No place for athletes to hide on the academic side why they wait their turn. Those that are likely to start early in their career will come, but not many are going to willingly ride the bench while putting up with the academics unless they really really want a Tech degree.

Both those teams kept it closer and If Kentucky has more talent than us that’s another reason Johnson should “retire.”
ugag wasn't playing members of ugag flag team against them at the end like they were with us. They didn't state that their scout team was running our offense better than we did against the 1st d in practice. They knew what was coming pre snap.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You mean Candeto? Bryan Cook was in a quality control role, not coaching the QBs and B Backs

Maybe I have the wrong Cook in mind

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He is. Before taking the OC position at GS, he had been our QB and BBack coach.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
This subject is now even more interesting. I hate for anyone to lose their job, but with the Paul Johnson retirement announcement I'm now very worried about recruiting since a new coach will want his own staff. I hope that Woody and the two other new assistants stay on board. I think we're supposed to have a big recruiting weekend this week.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know if former DL coach Mike Pelton ever landed a job as a coach at another school?

Last edited:

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not looking to see if you want to fired CPJ we have 150 pages on that topic.

The AD comes to your office ask you to look at your coaching staff and tell him which ones need to go stay or move to another postion.
1) Nate Woody Defensive coordinator and outside LB's
2)Craig Candeto QB's and B-backs
3) Andy McCollum inside LB's
4) Lamar Owens A -backs ST
5) Buzz Preston WR's
6) Jerome Riase DL
7) Mike Sewall OL
8) Joe Speed CB's
9) Ron West OL
10) Shiel Wood safeties

Tell why they need to be replaced or why to keep them and move them to another postion.

For me Woody is safe Riase is safe ,Wood is safe , McCollum safe but at something other then inside LB maybe Assistant head coach and ST.

Philly’s take on Collins
http://www2.philly.com/college-spor...ootball-georgia-tech-next-coach-20181207.html