Let’s do Junior’s Grill while we’re at it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always thought chicken fried meant egg was also used in crust.
Chicken fried steak
Food
Chicken fried steak is an American breaded cutlet dish consisting of a piece of beefsteak coated with seasoned flour and pan-fried. It is sometimes associated with the Southern cuisine of the United States. Despite the name, the dish contains no chicken, but is so-named because the cooking method is similar to that of pan-fried chicken breast cutlets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_fried_steak

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always thought chicken fried meant egg was also used in crust.
The staple of the oilfield is chicken fried steak. Quality was good to great.

Bet Juniors was great.

A classic in the rio grande valley was the cfs topped with cheese encalatas and 3 fried eggs, plus lots of green chili sauce
(hatch).
It was usually served as a hang over prevention . Always late at night after missing dinner due to consumption of liquids.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, or somewhere on that block. The "armpit" was there too. Apparently nobody remembers that treasure.

The only other places I remember in that area along North Ave. was to the west which included Stan's Sandwich Shop, the YMCA, and Engineer's bookstore. I never heard of a place called the armpit.

Did any of y'all eat there when Junior's was in it's original location on North Avenue at Techwood Drive?

I lived in Techwood Dorms as a frosh and ate at Juniors almost daily. They had the best country-fried steak w/ brown gravy, mashed, and green beans. Something-something-country-fried-seaboard was the order, 'cause I'd usually take it back down those back stairs to the dormroom to eat.

The only other places I remember in that area along North Ave. was to the west which included Stan's Sandwich Shop, the YMCA, and Engineer's bookstore. I never heard of a place called the armpit.
The "armpit" was an old movie theater (officially, the Techwood Theter). I think it closed in either '64 or '65. Generally showing 3rd or 4th release movies, usually as a part of a double feature, business was pretty good on weekends. It was nestled between Junior's and the Engineers Book Store.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The "armpit" was an old movie theater (officially, the Techwood Theter). I think it closed in either '64 or '65. Generally showing 3rd or 4th release movies, usually as a part of a double feature, business was pretty good on weekends. It was nestled between Junior's and the Engineers Book Store.

It was before my time, I think the Tech Motel was built in its location. I googled Techwood Theatre and got this picture.

large.jpg

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
Talked to Tommy when I was back on campus for homecoming one year. He said he drove by after the first day of demolition. All that was left was part of the back wall and door. He still had the keys to the building. Said he stopped and unlocked the door and went through it one last time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Did any of y'all eat there when Junior's was in it's original location on North Avenue at Techwood Drive?
That's always where the real Junior's was. (Let me modify... I remember when it was to the left of the book store, and across from Smith Residence Hall. Understand that was it's 2nd location...) When they moved on campus, it just wasn't the same
Granted I was well out of GT when that took place, place went to eat there a few times and no country fried steak... Come on, needed that with some gravy on the fries...

Last edited: