Les Miles Met w/ Ted Roof in January

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Count me as naive then because I really thought GT was where his heart was and where he wanted to be period.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Another variable that has considerable impact yet we know very little about are injuries that don't remove players from the field. Some of these injuries diminish production by a large measure, some not so much, we just don't know as fans. For example, imo, Skov was considerably less effective with his banged up shoulders. The mere fact that he stayed on the field in his condition says a lot about what the coaches thought of the depth behind him.

I don't know how much this mattered as a whole because this happens everywhere, but it definitely played a big role in the "regression" of our best defender coming into the year. PJ Davis was noticeably banged up to the point where I think he was hurting us some by gutting it out and staying in the field. I'm not sure what all was bothering him, but it was clear he was hampered by something for at least the last 3-4 games, if not more. I respect the hell out of him for it and I completely understand why he did it, but in hindsight, it may have been better to let it heal at some point.

This is why I wanted him and JT specifically to sit out in Miami and get ready for the dwag game. Much to the chagrin of some other posters on here.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
By this metric it looks like ND, UNC, and Pitt were on the D and Duke, VPI, U, and georgie were on the O.

http://www.bcftoys.com/2015-splits/

That metric did a pretty good job outside of the ND. Anyone watching that game knows the only reason we had a chance was because of our D.

We had 7 drives where we mustered 10 yards or less. 5 (3 or less) and outs. Both of our FG opportunities were set up by our D/ST. First, after a good punt to pin them deep, D holds, followed by a good return into ND territory. The other, a fumble in ND territory. Our only TD before they called off the dogs was after an interception by the defense.

I would also say about da U game, we should've just stayed in Atl. No group played well in that game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Auburn hired steele, so rumor auburn was interested in roof ends till gt defense is very good in two years and steele moves on.
Ee should have good defense to hell transitioning past the justin thomas time.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what thread to post this in but I just created a new Twitter account for GT football news and to keep up with recruits if you could go follow me @techwreck7

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Who? Name somebody who knows GT inside and out like Ted. You can't recruit GT unless you know GT. We need players more than we need fancy schemes. We've been snake bit along the DL, none of which is TR's fault.

Why are we so quick to bring the hook when we don't like performance when the reasons for the performance are staring us in the face and we can't see them?

I'm waiting to see a true Roof/Pelton DL that's not put together with bailing wire and duck tape. That's all we've seen so far because that's all that R and P have had to work with.

When the current freshmen (next season sophs) DL are seniors and we still suck upfront, I'll be ready for a change.
I think a name like Will Muschamp or Kirby Smart could recruit well anywhere they went. JMO

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think a name like Will Muschamp or Kirby Smart could recruit well anywhere they went. JMO

Charisma and likability go a long way. Look at Dabo at Clemson. Those kids love playing for him and he is an unbelievable recruiter.

Knowing how Tech works helps some I'm sure, but that's not a requirement to be a good recruiter at GT. Being able to relate to 17-18 year olds while at the same time instilling trust in their parents that you have their kid's best interest at heart and will make sure they are taken care of the next 4-5 years is way more important than knowing what it takes to get through GT IMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Charisma and likability go a long way. Look at Dabo at Clemson. Those kids love playing for him and he is an unbelievable recruiter.

Knowing how Tech works helps some I'm sure, but that's not a requirement to be a good recruiter at GT. Being able to relate to 17-18 year olds while at the same time instilling trust in their parents that you have their kid's best interest at heart and will make sure they are taken care of the next 4-5 years is way more important than knowing what it takes to get through GT IMO.
You have to know who you can and can't target, that's where the GT experience helps.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
$$$$$$$$$$$$
I can't fault Roof for listening. Sometimes home is not always where the heart is. A football coach's life is tenuous and nomadic, and the rule is never buy a house you can't sell quickly and never believe the HC won't deep six you if it comes to his job or your job, and he could play golf with you every Sunday. It's just business, and there is nothing fair about it, and certainly money is very important. (The first thing Bill Curry told Swinney was to get a good financial advisor.) I don't think Roof has done that good a job, though his teams have shown the ability to rise above mediocrity. Staying above it is the problem.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Great on field results usually show an absence of bad or even just mediocre coaching. Less than great on field results do not IMO. Bama probably has the best talent in the country. I think their performances show they are well coached also. Less effective coaching of that talent would not yield, IMO, the high level of success they achieve year to year. If that same coaching staff were at.....Vanderbilt....it would almost certainly be tougher to judge the quality of coaching being done. Again that's just an opinion. Maybe Saban's staff cloud roll in there and start pumping out 10 win seasons from jump. I highly doubt it though.

With that being said.....and because I'm not at practices, in coaches meetings, or on the sidelines....I do not have the necessary information to judge the quality of coaching going on for the most part.

I think our results on Offense during CPJ's tenure have been outstanding. Especially considering the depth of talent we have played with. Great results again make it easier to acknowledge superior coaching. Results diminished on that side in 15. Did the coaching then also diminish? I find the logic in that stream of thought highly flawed.

Have we had similar results on D? Certainly not. So it would be foolhardy to say, with a certainty, that we had great coaching on that side. Is it possible we have though? I'd say yes, it is possible. Maybe we had great coaching that maximized every drop of talent we had in '14. There is little to point to quantitatively to prove that point however. But we haven't had Bama type talent on that side. If we had it would be far easier to measure the coaching on D. Without that you would have to be at practices, in coaching meetings, and on the sideline to garner the information needed to judge that fairly.

So my philosophy is to withhold damning condemnations of coaches. I think those condemnations are almost always made from ignorance. Everyone is entitled to their opinions however. Just don't expect me to jump on board the "coach X sucks" bandwagon every time results aren't what I'd like to see.

Do I think Roof is a great coach? I don't know. I do doubt he is a bad one. He does seem to be a pretty good recruiter. An awful lot of people in his industry, who have more expertise than me, seem to think highly of him.

Roof is a mediocre coach IMO. Not bad. Not good. Scheme weakness's on field for me starts my opinion and its validated by a decade of mediocre results over multiple teams.

two days ago, CPJ comes out and says publicly the D scheme isn't working, needs to be changed up etc; that the pass rush scheme is not adequate....they need to figure it out. What they do today "isnt' effective".

My theory why is simple. He runs a basic, simple, easy to pre-snap block and read defensive scheme that sacrifices flats and seam coverage (why RB in the flats and TEs kill us) for LB flowing to stop the run; and blitzes based on numbers guess not attacking blocking schemes.... for me modern day zone OL blocking schemes are more than complex enough to pick these up darn near everytime. This needs to change. He needs to attack how an OL blocks, and makes changes to blocking assignments based on presnap d looks and attack the weakness of those changes.

But I am not certain, he is able to do this. We will see. Year 4.

so take it for what its worth. But that is from the head mans mouth. There are many people out there with good football knowledge that can see his calls and scheme and go huh? You don't have to be a coach, just knowledgeable to the concepts of D and what we are trying to do with the calls....so for what I know, and was taught, I question some of his stuff. Some of his stuff...I think it was the duke game...looked good. I have also seen him make some nice adjustments...but far too often its second half and not enough.

so for me. He is mediocre. I may be wrong...thats fine...its my opinion based on many data sets