Leo B

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The feedback on getting passes out slow is warranted. The pass to Singleton should have been a walk in TD Saturday.

But it’s fine…it’s more important that we complete the passes than execute flawlessly. But there will come a time where that throw matters.

FYI, King is great. We all have room to improve in everything we do. I’m certain he knows that and I’m certain he and the coaches know where that opportunity lies.
I've made some hard comments about King, but make no mistake I'm very happy he's our QB. He's just a step below being extremely good and if he can get that edge that comes with getting the ball out at the exact time it needs to and placed well he'll be in the category that starts with E. Easier said than done, but when you're aspiring to greatness the level of difficulty rises significantly.

Our QB room is looking mighty stout, when has GT been able to say that. Not since Goose backed up Lil' Joe have we had any depth. Hope many are funding that "Save the Weinke" fund.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I've made some hard comments about King, but make no mistake I'm very happy he's our QB. He's just a step below being extremely good and if he can get that edge that comes with getting the ball out at the exact time it needs to and placed well he'll be in the category that starts with E. Easier said than done, but when you're aspiring to greatness the level of difficulty rises significantly.
What makes King a great college QB despite some flaws in his passing game is that he is a very good passer, and a very good runner. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Last year his only equal in both categories won the Heisman.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What makes King a great college QB despite some flaws in his passing game is that he is a very good passer, and a very good runner. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Last year his only equal in both categories won the Heisman.
Agree on physical.
and i add ( per my east teax hs coaching son ) he is a gym rat son of a ledendary texas hs coach from deep east texas. He is cool customer coach on field who will win by making others better. But if needed he will load up the axx wagon and say "lets go"

Key Weinke
With Pyron bulking up they have a quality reserve pass and flat out run tough as nails reserve qb. Then they have Philo who can see field and sling it. Also they have 6'5" knowles who is already 225 and has a strong accurate arm . Am i really talking about gt qb room?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
QB is *not* our problem, guys. Haynes King is the real deal and is absolutely a playmaker. I believe our OL is the issue and CBF knows it. It is driving our play selection.

We saw Saturday that King can throw deep, but we knew that. The issue is his protection, avoiding sacks and INTs. We also have an issue with a banged up RB room. This will be our 5th game. We need a bye week.

But we also know this team will play its heart out and -IMPO- has a 50/50 shot at winning Saturday.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Qb drafting is so unpredictable...I bet he stays and Philo transfers...just the way o the world now
More likely that Pyron would transfer if he stayed. If Philo followed King, he would potentially be a RS Soph, with 3 years to start after King exhausted his eligibility. If he came down with an injury, he could potentially have 4. Knowles is in the same situation. Pyron is a RS Soph now, so if King came back next year, that would give Pyron 1 year to start, if he won the position. I'm sure he'll have his degree by then, as well.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If King is hoping to get a high draft slot this season, a lot will depend on his passing numbers. If CBF is holding him back from throwing vertically, that will ultimately hurt HK in that respect.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
to the topic at hand,
Glad to see Blackburn get some burn. I know he doesn’t want it, but maybe watching Avery Boyd get on the field and make big plays from TE will have him reconsider moving there. He looks like he still has decent speed but he would torch LB and safeties from there instead of the outside. Honestly that’s where his future is in the NFL, might as well jumpstart that process here.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Our QB room is looking mighty stout, when has GT been able to say that. Not since Goose backed up Lil' Joe have we had any depth. Hope many are funding that "Save the Weinke" fund.
Our qb room is strong for a couple of reasons IMO. The first is the opportunity to play D1 football at a great academic school. The second is our offensive staff which includes Weinke and Faulkner primarily. We have got to keep those two to attract this kind of talent. It will not be easy or cheap.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That play by Philo, when protection broke down, almost knocking him down forcing him to run, nears the line of scrimmage, sees a receiver deep, stops on a dime before crossing the LOS, launches a missile when he is not set, and hits Elko for a 41 yard gain spot on tells me he is a special talent. Now I love me some Pyron for what he did in 2022 and his overall good play, but he is going to have his hands full winning the starting job over Philo in the future in my opinion.
Philo seems shorter than his listed height but that is irrelevant if he can see, stop and pop on target. That play reminds me of Justin Thomas. He and WR were on same page , especially the back shoulder pass

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Ryan also threw downfield a lot. He could do it all albeit with an arm that was a bit underpowered. He also had a great OL which, let’s face it, we do not.
Your comments about our OL are not an opinion I necessarily support. Maybe not great, but serviceable and able to work within a system to get it done. Beyond that, King throws the ball downfield as much as Ryan did.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The OL that leads the country in sacks allowed and is 27th in ypc is not a great OL?
@stinger78 is really convinced our OL is bad despite the facts.

an update from last week: There are now only 8 teams that haven't allowed a sack this season, half of which have only played 2 games, and Tech is the only one to have played 4 games. Oklahoma State and Rutgers are the only 2 other P4 teams in that group, and they have played a combined 1 game against a P4 team (Ok State vs Arkansas).

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Really wanting this young man to end his career at Tech on a high note. He definitely deserves it. His internal compass is extremely strong.
It’s nice to think his leadership skills and gamesmanship are actively rubbing off on all the other QB’s and the team as a whole as well.

I’m a firm believer a dude like King can have lasting effects on a program after he leaves.

I’m looking forward to our quarterback debate being between Philo and Knowles, two REALLY good looking highschool passers who are in great hands for development.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s nice to think his leadership skills and gamesmanship are actively rubbing off on all the other QB’s and the team as a whole as well.

I’m a firm believer a dude like King can have lasting effects on a program after he leaves.

I’m looking forward to our quarterback debate being between Philo and Knowles, two REALLY good looking highschool passers who are in great hands for development.
Zach is the next man up. Don't forget he was a high 4*. Zach is not far behind Haynes.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
@stinger78 is really convinced our OL is bad despite the facts.

an update from last week: There are now only 8 teams that haven't allowed a sack this season, half of which have only played 2 games, and Tech is the only one to have played 4 games. Oklahoma State and Rutgers are the only 2 other P4 teams in that group, and they have played a combined 1 game against a P4 team (Ok State vs Arkansas).
I’ve not said it is bad, it is simply not blocking the inside zone well. That’s the main issue I see. Also, it is not holding the pocket for longer passes, forcing a shorter, more horizontal passing game. We saw Saturday that the issue is not King’s arm. The sacks allowed is a good stat but is aided by King’s ability to scramble and run.

Let me reiterate: the OL is not bad by any means, but there is significant room for improvement. Can you live with that, yeti?