Leo B

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I thought he had surpassed Trevor Lawrence, might be misremembering though
You were not miss remembering, he beating by 20 yards!

Aaron Philo of Prince Avenue Christian has the most career passing yards in Georgia high school football history with 13,922 yards from 2020–2023.
Other top quarterbacks include:
Trevor Lawrence: 13,902 yards from 2014–2017
Gunner Stockton: 13,652 yards from 2018–2021
Deshaun Watson: 13,077 yards from 2010–2013
Jake Fromm: 12,745 yards from 2013–2016

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Interesting premise. I would counter that you play the best performers. If the all-time GA HS passing leader cannot earn his way onto the depth chart, then that means we have 2/3 better options as a college QB and he will likely transfer. All we can promise is a legitimate opportunity to compete.
^^^^^
This!
He signed up knowing his chance for playing time would be very limited this season after the year King had last year. Plus I think he is excited to receive coaching from Weinke. And next year, if he gets beat for the job, then I am sure he will be evaluating his options. He is too good to spend his career on the bench.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We will be lucky to hold on to Philo. I would be bringing him along a lot faster and trying to get him some playing time. He is going to make someone a very special quarterback.

Go Jackets!
Thats what i’m worried about too, he may be gone if he doesn’t win the starter job next season

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it is no longer about the team. It is about the money and the individual. I am not naive and the majority of these young men will do what is in their individual self-interest. The fans will just have to learn to live with it. It would be best to embrace it and find ways to capitalize on it as an enterprise (Ga. Tech Football).

Go Jackets!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You were not miss remembering, he beating by 20 yards!

Aaron Philo of Prince Avenue Christian has the most career passing yards in Georgia high school football history with 13,922 yards from 2020–2023.
Other top quarterbacks include:
Trevor Lawrence: 13,902 yards from 2014–2017
Gunner Stockton: 13,652 yards from 2018–2021
Deshaun Watson: 13,077 yards from 2010–2013
Jake Fromm: 12,745 yards from 2013–2016
Not saying this stat ain't good, but what it doesn't take in account is the opponents they play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wow i forgot he has another year of eligibility
All King says is "we are trying to win a championship" then does what asked ( from 23 = stop interceptions cause we run the ball. Now, he has 1 int in 4 games and has 5th highest completion percentage. Now posters say he is slow at deciding to pass.

At AM and at Longview he had more of a gunslinger edge. Now in 24 running attack besides king has been sputtering. Maybe we open it up. Glad to see Blackburn showing some flash.

As background Kings dad is glad he contacted Wienke for TAM to Gt portal. Feels wienke has always been truthful during past recruiting process. Likes how Wienke has son listen and improve throwing motion.

I wonder if we can keep Wienke as a qb coach with a head coach that wants to run the ball. I am hoping we have some set aside quarters where we let wienke / king show thier work product with wr room before a desperate sec or FSU team with money comes calling.

I know the kings want to win championship here and are very loyal people. They and greatly appreciated coach key and gt giving them a chance kings dad loves how key is mentoring his son.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
All King says is "we are trying to win a championship" then does what asked ( from 23 = stop interceptions cause we run the ball. Now, he has 1 int in 4 games and has 5th highest completion percentage. Now posters say he is slow at deciding to pass.

At AM and at Longview he had more of a gunslinger edge. Now in 24 running attack besides king has been sputtering. Maybe we open it up. Glad to see Blackburn showing some flash.

As background Kings dad is glad he contacted Wienke for TAM to Gt portal. Feels wienke has always been truthful during past recruiting process. Likes how Wienke has son listen and improve throwing motion.

I wonder if we can keep Wienke as a qb coach with a head coach that wants to run the ball. I am hoping we have some set aside quarters where we let wienke / king show thier work product with wr room before a desperate sec or FSU team with money comes calling.

I know the kings want to win championship here and are very loyal people. They and greatly appreciated coach key and gt giving them a chance kings dad loves how key is mentoring his son.
Love hearing that about King's family. It comes across plainly when he talks that he is about that blue collar work ethic CBK is demanding from the team.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The feedback on getting passes out slow is warranted. The pass to Singleton should have been a walk in TD Saturday.

But it’s fine…it’s more important that we complete the passes than execute flawlessly. But there will come a time where that throw matters.

FYI, King is great. We all have room to improve in everything we do. I’m certain he knows that and I’m certain he and the coaches know where that opportunity lies.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
King will have to run more to open up our run game, this offense sings when he is gashing the other team with his legs
Dont be so hard on the ol and play makers. King gets them ball at near 80 %. Our coaches and playe makers can make adjustments so we gash them.

Also, its a posting penalty to type say gashing and qb legs in same sentence. Sarcasm

My concern is ol verses large dt = collapse the middle. Louisville is more the size of fsu.

But to agree with you : Not for sustained drives in quarter after quarter, but at right times (plural) , king needs to blow past them for big gains.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Qb drafting is so unpredictable...I bet he stays and Philo transfers...just the way o the world now
It's basically impossible to predict transfers anymore. The good news is, whether it's King, Pyron, or Philo I feel we are in good hands for 2025.

2026 and beyond is too far out to even wonder about. 2 years ago we had TFG on the sidelines, TStan was in the box, King was at aTm, Singleton wasn't offered yet, Faulkner was in Athens, and Batt was in Tuscaloosa. 2 years is a looong time in CFB.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't pretend to know what will happen going forward. The contest between Pyron and Philo in the spring may depend on how Buster/Chris decide the O will look like. If they have any sense, with Pyron it'll be all Kansas State all the time; he's exactly the kind of QB that program has lived on: a good runner who can throw. Again, if they have any sense, with Philo it'll be Jameis Winston, part deux. No reason to run the option too much with a guy who can throw like that. But … I'm guessing that it'll be a battle royal and that who ends up as QB will depend on success on the field in 2025. Whoever wins out will see a long career ahead, no matter where. I'd sell the farm to keep Philo, however.

Oh, and congrats to Blackburn. I see good things going forward if he can avoid injury. It's shocking that he has kept his speed after the assaults he has had on it. Shows real dedication on his part.