LeBarrie suspended indefinitely?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It just pisses me off that the NCAA hasn't finished this.

i think they may be a little bit of building him up though. He is responsible for Devoe and he worked with the guards, but i don't think he is irreplacable. Jose, Haywood, Moore, Sjolund - none of those were DLab recruits. To this point we haven't signed a 4 star player from the state of GA yet, with or without him.

At least we can truly move forward. I'm expecting we hire someone by the Final Four so they are on staff in time for the AAU season.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’d love to see Korey McCray but he doesn’t fit the well rounded type CJP is probably looking for and I dunno if he’d be interested.

Keelon Lawson?
Jack Murphy?

I wonder if we could pry Brandin Knight from Rutgers. That might be one of my top picks TBH.
If I remember correctly, there were some whispers about McCray for a while about him being dirty.

Whomever they pursue must have a crystal clear reputation. The school will make damn sure of that.

That's why I could easily see them going for the layup hire in someone like Price.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If I remember correctly, there were some whispers about McCray for a while about him being dirty.

Whomever they pursue must have a crystal clear reputation. The school will make damn sure of that.

That's why I could easily see them going for the layup hire in someone like Price.

We just gonna let @Peacone36 get away with that Keelon Lawson reference?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wearing my tin foil hat, I can surmise the NCAA didn't complete the investigation because if they did - and it was Carter who was the recipient of some largess - then they would have to go after Carter as well and that would mean Duke has an issue. Can't have that in my tin foil world.

Like Red and others I am just pissed it is taking this long for the NCAA to complete something that should be done quickly. It either happened or didn't - and if it did what is the penalty. Not a year in limbo without a "conviction". That sucks.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Wearing my tin foil hat, I can surmise the NCAA didn't complete the investigation because if they did - and it was Carter who was the recipient of some largess - then they would have to go after Carter as well and that would mean Duke has an issue. Can't have that in my tin foil world.

Like Red and others I am just pissed it is taking this long for the NCAA to complete something that should be done quickly. It either happened or didn't - and if it did what is the penalty. Not a year in limbo without a "conviction". That sucks.

Right? Sorted through Bagley’s High School transcripts and AAU travelings and got him through the clearing house in 6 days and you cant get through a 36 hour period in which a kid was on campus in 3.5 months?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I know this scenario is improbable but hoping for win/win: He resigned to open up a temporary position for Mark to act as shooting coach, which O and Ben need, as well as the whole team. O can't hit a pull up 10' footer and Ben been missing his short jumpers. Then when the air clears, Mark resigns and GT brings Labarrie back, with a significant raise.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know this scenario is improbable but hoping for win/win: He resigned to open up a temporary position for Mark to act as shooting coach, which O and Ben need, as well as the whole team. O can't hit a pull up 10' footer and Ben been missing his short jumpers. Then when the air clears, Mark resigns and GT brings Labarrie back, with a significant raise.

Not happening.

A few quotes from the article

“He was a big part of everything that we did,” Pastner said. “The way that we do it here, I want everyone to wear multiple hats and to be involved in recruiting and game planning and coaching. My three assistants are going to be involved in all areas of the program.”

“When the season’s completed, I will get with (athletic director) Todd Stansbury and (associate AD) Marvin Lewis and us three will sit and talk and come up with a strategy and a plan (for a full-time replacement),” he said. “We won’t do that until after the season.”

Pastner declined to answer a question about what he knows about the investigation, referring it to athletic department administrators. Still, knowing what he knows about it, Pastner said he would not have a problem recommending LaBarrie for another job.

“Absolutely not,” he said. “Darryl is a fantastic basketball coach, a fantastic recruiter. He’s a very good man.”

LibertyTurns

Banned
My bet is he’s not guilty but much like the out of control prosecutors these days, they string out investigations when they don’t have any evidence in order to ruin your reputation, drive you to bankruptcy, etc in order to get somebody to cop a plea to some sort of trumped up charge.

I hope LaBarrie sues the NCAA. I’m not sure what the charge could be, malfeasance? I hope he’s got a good lawyer and sticks them bastards good. GT then needs to pile on & sue for lost revenue, etc and make the NCAA bleed thru the nose.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Still, knowing what he knows about it, Pastner said he would not have a problem recommending LaBarrie for another job.

“Absolutely not,” he said. “Darryl is a fantastic basketball coach, a fantastic recruiter. He’s a very good man.”

Sounds like the kind of assistant CJP should hire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Not happening.

A few quotes from the article

“He was a big part of everything that we did,” Pastner said. “The way that we do it here, I want everyone to wear multiple hats and to be involved in recruiting and game planning and coaching. My three assistants are going to be involved in all areas of the program.”

“When the season’s completed, I will get with (athletic director) Todd Stansbury and (associate AD) Marvin Lewis and us three will sit and talk and come up with a strategy and a plan (for a full-time replacement),” he said. “We won’t do that until after the season.”

Pastner declined to answer a question about what he knows about the investigation, referring it to athletic department administrators. Still, knowing what he knows about it, Pastner said he would not have a problem recommending LaBarrie for another job.

I know my reading comprehension skills have dimished over the years but I didn'tsee anything in your post that wound preclude the scenario from taking place.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
So, since we aren't going to hire a new assistant until next year...and we are still paying Hewitt...lets just put Hewitt on the recruiting trail for us. Can't hurt!