Learning from mistakes, Georgia Tech’s Jeff Sims ‘going to be great’

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I hope his throwing hand grew this past year. Didn't the ball just pop out of his hand...what...three times last year? All in all, though, I'm wishing for great things from Jeff.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I hope his throwing hand grew this past year. Didn't the ball just pop out of his hand...what...three times last year? All in all, though, I'm wishing for great things from Jeff.

Pretty sure two of those were when he tried to make a throw, realized at the last second that it wasn't there and tried to pull it back. Better recognition and reading of the defense is likely to help with that, as is just a bit more patient.

Anyways, in general, Sims grew throughout the course of the year last year. 8 of his INTs came in the first 3 games, while the last 7 games only saw 5. But part of the issue was also OLine because as Sims learned to be a bit more patient and not force things, it also allowed the Dline to get to him for sacks where before they were hitting him as he threw and causing some of those turnovers. We had just 1 sack the first 4 games, 20 in the remaining 6.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Alright. It’s time to get pumped , so here’s my golden glasses effort of the day!
We started a true Freshman that had so many limitations due to COVID (prep time and reps) that it is amazing that he performed as well as he did. There hasn’t been any other season that we can compare this to.
I’ve asked my self what some of our previous QBs would have looked like with limited reps and COVID over their true freshman campaigns. Please don’t tell me you think Shawn Jones, Goose, Joe Ham, Mike Kelley , Dewberry or J Thomas would have performed as well/better. I mention these guys only because they were guys that were very successful and productive during a handful of great seasons. None were starting as true freshmen with limited reps. Heck, one was sitting on the bench at UGA and being converted to a DB!
This guy is physically more gifted than all of the above.
Do not try to deflate my excitement! I’m on a roll. I’m sure sometime during our third game (Clemson) I will come back down to earth without your help!!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sims did really well during his ACC kick-off interview. I am impressed by his maturity and he has great composure. Now just bring that athletic talent to the field!!!

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims was voted a captain he has the respect of his teammates, he talks about throwing with his receivers this offseason everyday and knowing their individual timing on how they run their routes now, I think having a true offseason to practice and a full season of experience playing and learning the playbook we are going to see a big leap in his second year, not to mention I believe our o-line is going to be way better this year. Go Jacket THWG

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think people underestimate the tough position Sims was in last season. Starting as a true freshman with literally only fall camp to get ready for the season would be tough for anyone. There was a lot of learning and developing chemistry that had to happen during the season. All behind a subpar offensive line. I expect a big jump in Sims play this year if we can protect him.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I think people underestimate the tough position Sims was in last season. Starting as a true freshman with literally only fall camp to get ready for the season would be tough for anyone. There was a lot of learning and developing chemistry that had to happen during the season. All behind a subpar offensive line. I expect a big jump in Sims play this year if we can protect him.
And the fall camp was cut down some and modified. He should look much better this year.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
And the fall camp was cut down some and modified. He should look much better this year.
True for the (young) team as a whole. I wish the naysayers about this staff would recognize this fact, but they don't. We need to see progress this year (and progress doesn't mean just wins) but the criticism of the staff by many has been patently unfair.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
He's not going to complete 65% of his passes but if he can get close to 60% and cut his interceptions in half then that will be a huge jump. With what should be significant improvement in the offensive line, that should be obtainable.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
He's not going to complete 65% of his passes but if he can get close to 60% and cut his interceptions in half then that will be a huge jump. With what should be significant improvement in the offensive line, that should be obtainable.
He cut his interceptions by more than half over the course of 2020 season. 8 in the 1st 3 games and 5 the rest of the year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
He cut his interceptions by more than half over the course of 2020 season. 8 in the 1st 3 games and 5 the rest of the year.
Yes he can make a step up and likely will. Great post.

There’s so many naysayers on here. C’mon get excited and let’s see what we got. Maybe, just maybe we can stop all the doom and gloom, predictions of 3 wins and another year of misery. Damn.

Go Jackets!