Learning from mistakes, Georgia Tech’s Jeff Sims ‘going to be great’

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to win 6 games minimum this season and go to a bowl game. You either expect to win 4 or 5 games this season while also expecting to be unhappy, or you expect to be happy winning 4 or 5 games. Which is it?
And...here you have the whole disconnect with this back-and-forth.

Having realistic expectations of a low win total and being happy about those expectations are not the same. Just because one is "not happy" doesn't mean one has to be "unhappy" about the outcome. There is the pragmatic approach that "this isn't what I want, but it's expected, so I'll just deal with it."

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. You either expect to win 4 or 5 games this season while also expecting to be unhappy, or you expect to be happy winning 4 or 5 games. Which is it?

I, for one, am going to be happy this fall if we win 4 or 5 games. Or 9. Or 2. I learned awhile back not to be effected by things over which I have no control. Until I figured this out I would get pretty worked up about all this stuff. Which is futile.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I, for one, am going to be happy this fall if we win 4 or 5 games. Or 9. Or 2. I learned awhile back not to be effected by things over which I have no control. Until I figured this out I would get pretty worked up about all this stuff. Which is futile.
After what I went through during the 2018 season, I’ve stopped letting win/loss determine whether I’ll be happy about the season. I get to tailgate with my friends at Lower Petes, right next to Yellow Jacket Alley…this is going to be a GREAT season even if we remain stuck at three wins.

Y’all are arguing over what win total will define an good season; I’m busy working out the logistics of how to serve my Big Bad Wolf omelettes before our first noon game.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you recall if there was a common trend in the pics? Like a given distance , or putting it up instead of eating it?
This piqued my curiosity so I wanted to look at Sims later in the season so I chose the Pitt game. After the first 3 games that was the only game that he had more than 1 interception, he had 2 in that game.

The first INT came on the very 1st play of the game for Sims so that sucked. He was looking to take a deep shot down the middle (it was there) but just underthrew it badly. It looks like a blitzing LB was right in his face as he was completing the throw so that could be it. With a quicker release it could have been a big play. Kudos to the D following this INT, they immediately had to take the field again and held Pitt on a goal line stand and got them to turn it over on downs. That led to a 99 yard drive by GT and Sims made a big throw leading to the 1st TD for GT, so he's certainly got the ability.

The second INT of the game of the game I don't really put on Sims at all, Camp lost his footing on his come back and fell leaving the DB an uncontested shot at the ball and to his credit made a play and catching it at the sideline. The play immediately before this one Sims made a similar throw to the Peje Harris for a 9 yard pickup making it look easy. Tough luck on Camp slipping

I think we get Pitt this year. I'm sure Collins has that game circled.

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims is best QB talent we've ever had...can he be better that Joe? We will see....
We are LOADED at RB...Gibbs is Eddie Lee but faster...much faster... Derrick Mason will play on Sundays...Smith and Griffin are "featured" RB at 8 other ACC schools..
Loaded....
Run the damn ball...play some defense...
We should win 6...bowling in 2021

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Sims is best QB talent we've ever had...can he be better that Joe? We will see....
We are LOADED at RB...Gibbs is Eddie Lee but faster...much faster... Derrick Mason will play on Sundays...Smith and Griffin are "featured" RB at 8 other ACC schools..
Loaded....
Derrick Mason making a comeback would be quite the story.

I think JP Mason has a better shot :)

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe Devin Cochran will be the most important player for us this year and we need to take full advantage of it. Locking down Sims blind side will give him the time and confidence to go through his progressions, footwork and throwing motion to help reach 60%completion rate.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to win 6 games minimum this season and go to a bowl game. You either expect to win 4 or 5 games this season while also expecting to be unhappy, or you expect to be happy winning 4 or 5 games. Which is it?
My happiness has nothing to do with me expecting 4 wins...winning 3 games in each of the last two years, watching Sims run for his life while receivers can't get open, playing 5 top 20 teams this season, looking pretty bad against Pitt in the last game, all of that as well as other factors lead me to believe we will win four games. It is entirely possible that we could look much better and be far more competitive than last year in certain games and still win only four or five games. Whether we win three games, four games, or ten games it doesn't matter as Coach Collins will be here next year and likely as not the following year, IIWII

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
After what I went through during the 2018 season, I’ve stopped letting win/loss determine whether I’ll be happy about the season. I get to tailgate with my friends at Lower Petes, right next to Yellow Jacket Alley…this is going to be a GREAT season even if we remain stuck at three wins.

Y’all are arguing over what win total will define an good season; I’m busy working out the logistics of how to serve my Big Bad Wolf omelettes before our first noon game.
Ok, now I have to know… WTF is a “ Big bad wolf omelette?”

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Loaded....
Run the damn ball must include Sims.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
This piqued my curiosity so I wanted to look at Sims later in the season so I chose the Pitt game. After the first 3 games that was the only game that he had more than 1 interception, he had 2 in that game.

The first INT came on the very 1st play of the game for Sims so that sucked. He was looking to take a deep shot down the middle (it was there) but just underthrew it badly. It looks like a blitzing LB was right in his face as he was completing the throw so that could be it. With a quicker release it could have been a big play. Kudos to the D following this INT, they immediately had to take the field again and held Pitt on a goal line stand and got them to turn it over on downs. That led to a 99 yard drive by GT and Sims made a big throw leading to the 1st TD for GT, so he's certainly got the ability.

The second INT of the game of the game I don't really put on Sims at all, Camp lost his footing on his come back and fell leaving the DB an uncontested shot at the ball and to his credit made a play and catching it at the sideline. The play immediately before this one Sims made a similar throw to the Peje Harris for a 9 yard pickup making it look easy. Tough luck on Camp slipping

I think we get Pitt this year. I'm sure Collins has that game circled.
Every self respecting Tech fan has that game circled lol I actually went back and watched it over the weekend and forgot how chippy and heated it got on both sides. Terrible calls and we had many chances to take that game over

Personally I think we crush Pitt this season. I can't wait to watch this team get its stranglehold on our competition.

Just under 40 days let's gooooo

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Damn, you’re going to attract a lot of attention with that combo! You got Bloody Marys also?
Oooh, yeah. We were up at a distillery in Clayton Ga over the summer, and the owner (who is all about the science side of distilling) let us sample a canned Bloody Mary cocktail, made with rye instead of vodka. We bought a bunch for tailgating—and I’m more of a mimosa guy than a Bloody Mary guy.

I also have a hankering to try a recipe I have for an Asian-style Bloody Mary, with Szechuan peppercorn-infused vodka…

My happiness has nothing to do with me expecting 4 wins...winning 3 games in each of the last two years, watching Sims run for his life while receivers can't get open, playing 5 top 20 teams this season, looking pretty bad against Pitt in the last game, all of that as well as other factors lead me to believe we will win four games. It is entirely possible that we could look much better and be far more competitive than last year in certain games and still win only four or five games. Whether we win three games, four games, or ten games it doesn't matter as Coach Collins will be here next year and likely as not the following year, IIWII

I just can't buy that winning 3 or 4 games, or even expecting to win 3 or 4 games, doesn't make you a little sad. I mean we're fans 'fanatics' of Ga Tech football and being at least somewhat emotionally invested is part of that. If we win 4 or less games this season, I will feel extremely bad about the direction of our team.