Learning from mistakes, Georgia Tech’s Jeff Sims ‘going to be great’

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Oooh, yeah. We were up at a distillery in Clayton Ga over the summer, and the owner (who is all about the science side of distilling) let us sample a canned Bloody Mary cocktail, made with rye instead of vodka. We bought a bunch for tailgating—and I’m more of a mimosa guy than a Bloody Mary guy.

I also have a hankering to try a recipe I have for an Asian-style Bloody Mary, with Szechuan peppercorn-infused vodka…
Is that the one just south of Clayton right on 441?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
3rd year in a system after winning 7 in the previous system, a team should be capable of upsetting a ranked team and winning the minimum to become bowl eligible. It is pitiful that some fans would be happy winning 4 or 5 games going into this season.
I never posted that I would be "happy" with a 4 or 5 win season, it is what I expect but that is just me.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm late to this, but I think the jury is still out on Sims. As I've said before, I think there are essentially two different types of QBs: this who can throw long (think Dan Fouts) and those who can throw short/medium (think Joe Montana). (There's a third type, of course, who can throw everything, but you don't find a Matt Ryan every day of the week.) From what I've seen so far, Sims seems to be a Montana type. This doesn't mean he won't be a star - he has talent - or that he won't try the occasional long throw. What it means is that he probably has limits and he'll learn to live within them. Having an improved OL could really help,. but I also think that's up in the air as well.

What it comes down to is that I think we all have to temper our expectations. He's a sophomore. He's stil learning the position. He has limited game experience and his main receivers from last year are gone. He may fulfill all the hopes above, but, if he doesn't, we'll have to be patient. He's got time, after all.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'm late to this, but I think the jury is still out on Sims. As I've said before, I think there are essentially two different types of QBs: this who can throw long (think Dan Fouts) and those who can throw short/medium (think Joe Montana). (There's a third type, of course, who can throw everything, but you don't find a Matt Ryan every day of the week.) From what I've seen so far, Sims seems to be a Montana type. This doesn't mean he won't be a star - he has talent - or that he won't try the occasional long throw. What it means is that he probably has limits and he'll learn to live within them. Having an improved OL could really help,. but I also think that's up in the air as well.

What it comes down to is that I think we all have to temper our expectations. He's a sophomore. He's stil learning the position. He has limited game experience and his main receivers from last year are gone. He may fulfill all the hopes above, but, if he doesn't, we'll have to be patient. He's got time, after all.
I agree with you that the jury is still out and I think your assessment about what he can and can't throw is premature (though you could end up being correct). I feel like we haven't yet seen even the tip of the iceberg of what he can do because he was a true freshman, he had no real spring practice, his OL wasn't providing him enough protection (which I expect to improve significantly this year), and all the COVID outages made it impossible to develop or maintain any consistency and partnership with his receivers. I was pretty impressed by what I saw from him last year especially considering all of the obstacles so I'm very optimistic. And at the same time I'm being cautious in my optimism to not have extremely high expectations because of all the reasons you cited.