Learning from mistakes, Georgia Tech’s Jeff Sims ‘going to be great’

LibertyTurns

Banned
Why should 6 be the expectation? We play the #2, #4, #12, #13, and #14 teams so there should not be an expectation that we beat any of them. We should expect to go 6-1 against everyone else?
Sporting News had Looie ranked #22 & Bleacher Report #20, PFF had FSU #23, etc. Maybe not all those ranked team end up ranked after they actually need to play?

I actually feel pretty damned good that the OL and def will both be better this season...
Hard not believe we wouldn‘t be better both offensively and defensively. Sims + improved OL, how couldn’t it be. All the talent recruited for defense. Has to be better. We should be better on KO’s and FG’s, worse in punting but way fewer punts.

With all that we’re even to worse? C’mon, gimme a break.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sporting News had Looie ranked #22 & Bleacher Report #20, PFF had FSU #23, etc. Maybe not all those ranked team end up ranked after they actually need to play?

Hard not believe we wouldn‘t be better both offensively and defensively. Sims + improved OL, how couldn’t it be. All the talent recruited for defense. Has to be better. We should be better on KO’s and FG’s, worse in punting but way fewer punts.

God forbide it but it will be Time to replace and upgrade DEf and/or OFF coord’s if that happens imo

Why should 6 be the expectation? We play the #2, #4, #12, #13, and #14 teams so there should not be an expectation that we beat any of them. We should expect to go 6-1 against everyone else?

3rd year in a system after winning 7 in the previous system, a team should be capable of upsetting a ranked team and winning the minimum to become bowl eligible. It is pitiful that some fans would be happy winning 4 or 5 games going into this season.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
3rd year in a system after winning 7 in the previous system, a team should be capable of upsetting a ranked team and winning the minimum to become bowl eligible. It is pitiful that some fans would be happy winning 4 or 5 games going into this season.
Hope you didn’t hurt your back moving those goalposts. Let’s try again

It’s irrelevant what happened three years ago. You’re clearly aware of the changes that needed to occur so no need to rehash.

Who has stated they are happy with 4 or 5 win seasons? Thanks in advance.

Do you think those should be expectations for this season? Expect and expectations have clear meanings

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

Oh I didn’t say we aren’t capable of beating anyone. I’m challenging the word expectations given our roster, our youth and our schedule.

It’s irrelevant what happened three years ago. You’re clearly aware of the changes that needed to occur so no need to rehash.

Do you think those should be expectations for this season? Expect and expectations have clear meanings

At this point, we should be expected to win a minimum of 6 games and become bowl eligible. I know that's what I expect. It is of no consequence to me if consensus differs from my opinion.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
At this point, we should be expected to win a minimum of 6 games and become bowl eligible. I know that's what I expect. It is of no consequence to me if consensus differs from my opinion.
Are your expectations based on the reality associated with this team or just what you want to see out of this team? Those aren't always the same thing. We still have a very young team. We still have a very difficult schedule. We will be better, but will that show up in the W/L column? I think that's the expectation of many others: significant improvement on the field that just may not show up in the record this year.

Personally, I still refuse to concede a game we haven't played, so I'm "expecting" 15-0. Is that realistic? No, but as a fan, it's what I want.

Are your expectations based on the reality associated with this team or just what you want to see out of this team? Those aren't always the same thing. We still have a very young team. We still have a very difficult schedule. We will be better, but will that show up in the W/L column? I think that's the expectation of many others: significant improvement on the field that just may not show up in the record this year.

Personally, I still refuse to concede a game we haven't played, so I'm "expecting" 15-0. Is that realistic? No, but as a fan, it's what I want.

If you ask anyone on this team, including coaches if they should be expected to win at least 6 games this season, I think they would agree with me or maybe even be offended by the perceived low expectations.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
If you ask anyone on this team, including coaches if they should be expected to win at least 6 games this season, I think they would agree with me or maybe even be offended by the perceived low expectations.
Yeah, I would expect the coaches and players to believe they can go 15-0. No one actively participating in the games are going to say anything remotely resembling that they can't win them. That's an entirely different discussion than intelligent fans talking about what fair expectations should be.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And if you did the same thing last year you would probably have gotten the same response from the team, yet they only won 3 games (although under extraordinary conditions). I don't think the players are a good barometer, as they are inherently biassed. You will never know what the true expectations of the coaches are (just as Brainless should have kept his public mouth shut about his expectations).

Yeah, I would expect the coaches and players to believe they can go 15-0. No one actively participating in the games are going to say anything remotely resembling that they can't win them. That's an entirely different discussion than intelligent fans talking about what fair expectations should be.
And if you did the same thing last year you would probably have gotten the same response from the team, yet they only won 3 games (although under extraordinary conditions). I don't think the players are a good barometer, as they are inherently biassed. You will never know what the true expectations of the coaches are (just as Brainless should have kept his public mouth shut about his expectations).

I would trust that the GT football team knows more about themselves and their opponents than any fan of said team. My expectations for this team has not changed for year 3 since CGC's first year. I expected to be a bowl team by year 3 and I still do. It's really ok for fans to have varied expectations.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The problem with the offense is not Sims, it is just about everyone else. If the blocking improves we will be better. If the defense improves, we will be better. If neither of those things are better, it won't matter how good Jeff is because he cannot do it by himself. It is true that turnovers and some poor decisions by Jeff were an issue last year but many of them were due to him trying to make a play. IIWII
Every int ever thrown was a qb trying to make a play. I don’t mind his Int’s last year. The only way you learn is by making mistakes. He’ll be a much better QB this year. I love hearing he’s been a film rat this off season.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I would trust that the GT football team knows more about themselves and their opponents than any fan of said team. My expectations for this team has not changed for year 3 since CGC's first year. I expected to be a bowl team by year 3 and I still do. It's really ok for fans to have varied expectations.
At least try to have an honest discussion.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Oh I didn’t say we aren’t capable of beating anyone. I’m challenging the word expectations given our roster, our youth and our schedule.
Football obviously like baseball where you have a lot of games & elements like injuries, bad bounces, etc play out over time. There’s a range of 4-7 games it’s highly likely we’ll land in. I think 5 wins is most likely, 6 & 4 wins are possible depending on circumstances. 7 wins during the regular season is unlikely, but with a bowl win possible. 3 wins would be a huge disappointment. That being said, I expect us to be mostly competitive except against the more elite teams, Clemp, ND & the other. I’m not expecting we win all of those but I do expect we’ll look well-coached, disciplined, maybe a player or 2, perhaps a year more of experience with some players we already have away from making a leap forward. If that’s how our season ends, low win total but promising going forward I’ll be happy to wait another year.

If I see us acting undisciplined while we’re being thrashed, confused as to what we’re doing, etc well that will paint a different picture.

I expect us to win 6 games minimum this season and go to a bowl game. You either expect to win 4 or 5 games this season while also expecting to be unhappy, or you expect to be happy winning 4 or 5 games. Which is it?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I did too (well, Year 3/4, depending on what Year 2 looked like), then we had COVID19 and I pushed it a year. I agree, we don't all have to agree.