Leading Candidate for Ga Tech President

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
After browsing the reddit threads, it seems like there are some legitimate corruption concerns around GMU, but also a lot of individuals arguing Federal politics (their law school hired Kavanaugh and has Koch funding for instance)

They also renamed their law school after Scalia.

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Shocked Gary May wasn't the pick.

From GT Student to EE Prof to EE School Head to Dean of our famed College of Engineering to Chancellor of a major public university.

Didn't think there was a better fit on plant earth.

Shows how much I know.

Maybe he turned it down?

Anyway, hoping for the best from our new Prez.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shocked Gary May wasn't the pick.

From GT Student to EE Prof to EE School Head to Dean of our famed College of Engineering to Chancellor of a major public university.

Didn't think there was a better fit on plant earth.

Shows how much I know.

Maybe he turned it down?

Anyway, hoping for the best from our new Prez.

We had quite a few very good choices. Here are the ones ID'd by the AJC:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-educ...eorgia-tech-president/aOROCKvRlVtuS9G1Mw6fAI/

I'm sure there were quite a few outside of that list (including the presumed final pick), but just those candidates seem to be impressive. Michael Crow and Shirley Ann Jackson are intriguing...and it may be a case where a lot of higher candidates said "No". Remember, this is a high profile job, and there a quite a few people to placate. GT President is one of the most important positions in the state. Lot of politics going on behind the scenes. Could be a case where better candidates just don't want to deal with it, or the people making decisions have their own agendas. It's not just "GT people" making the choice.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much nothing but negativity in the /r/gatech Reddit thread on this guy. Seems like most were hoping we could bring Gary May back to GT as president.

Best part of that thread:

It’s important to point out that it was originally named the Anthony Scalia School of Law or *** Law. Shame on him for changing it.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Not trying to be a di** but why do you need "strong" mental health support to support you on campus when you are in college? How old are you?

I went to college in the early 2000s so maybe I'm just old?

I was there in the 2000s as well and my freshman year had someone commit suicide in the adjacent dorm. And I knew or heard of probably about 1 a year throughout my tenure there. I'd say that's a pretty good reason for stronger mental health support.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be a di** but why do you need "strong" mental health support to support you on campus when you are in college? How old are you?

I went to college in the early 2000s so maybe I'm just old?
Stress is good for your development, but when it reaches the point of distress you start to have problems. As someone pointed out, we've generally always had a problem with suicide and general depression. It's jokingly apart of our campus culture. You can be challenged in the classroom and still lead a happy life, but good mental health services help with that. In the last 8 years, the only thing I've seen in response to numerous complaints is they bring puppies to campus during finals week for destressing. It's kind of pathetic.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-educ...eorgia-tech-president/aOROCKvRlVtuS9G1Mw6fAI/

I'm sure there were quite a few outside of that list (including the presumed final pick), but just those candidates seem to be impressive. Michael Crow and Shirley Ann Jackson are intriguing...and it may be a case where a lot of higher candidates said "No". Remember, this is a high profile job, and there a quite a few people to placate. GT President is one of the most important positions in the state. Lot of politics going on behind the scenes. Could be a case where better candidates just don't want to deal with it, or the people making decisions have their own agendas. It's not just "GT people" making the choice.

I wonder what May's level of interest was in the job. He's been at UC-Davis less than two years, so he may have felt it was too quick to bolt. That said, there may have been a desire to move away from Bud's "coaching tree" given some of the issues over the last year.

It hasn't been revealed who else was among the candidates, but I am encouraged that they went with someone with deep GT ties. That's usually a good indicator of longevity for the role, and I think as we've seen with Stansbury, there's a certain amount of credibility that comes with being an alum. He won't need the standard "give me a year to learn what this place is about" whenever a new CEO is installed in an organization.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I googled "Georgia Tech mental health" and found this from December. Seems to be a commitment to improving the situation. Is it enough? Many would argue that it isn't, but it is not just bringing puppies.

https://www.news.gatech.edu/2018/12...n-hire-additional-mental-health-professionals
You're right, that was a big step. But that was also in response to the student who committed suicide by GT cop in late 2017. It took a pretty big (nationally publicized) event before Peterson took some action and made a commitment to mental health. Regardless of what kicked off the initiative, it's good to see them pumping some money into that department. Even those informal chats in the article seem like a great way to just decompress. Help put things in perspective.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what May's level of interest was in the job. He's been at UC-Davis less than two years, so he may have felt it was too quick to bolt. That said, there may have been a desire to move away from Bud's "coaching tree" given some of the issues over the last year.

It hasn't been revealed who else was among the candidates, but I am encouraged that they went with someone with deep GT ties. That's usually a good indicator of longevity for the role, and I think as we've seen with Stansbury, there's a certain amount of credibility that comes with being an alum. He won't need the standard "give me a year to learn what this place is about" whenever a new CEO is installed in an organization.

Well, hiring “Tech Men” has not always worked out that great for us.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Folks, the thread is sitting here to talk impact on football and athletics.

If you want to talk politics, we're happy to allow that, but we'll move the thread to the Lounge.

If you want to do both, start another thread in the lounge.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Stress was being in an engineering ciriculum during the Vietnam war and trying to keep a II-S deferrment while at GT. Plus the hill could have cared less back then.

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm sure there were quite a few outside of that list (including the presumed final pick), but just those candidates seem to be impressive...

You're right.

Our potential new Prez was chosen from a very impressive pool.

I guess I automatically lean in the direction of someone who once wore a RAT Cap.

Hoping for the best for our Alma Mater.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Stress is good for your development, but when it reaches the point of distress you start to have problems. As someone pointed out, we've generally always had a problem with suicide and general depression. It's jokingly apart of our campus culture. You can be challenged in the classroom and still lead a happy life, but good mental health services help with that. In the last 8 years, the only thing I've seen in response to numerous complaints is they bring puppies to campus during finals week for destressing. It's kind of pathetic.
In 1965 2nd floor in Howell - 2 doors down we found a quiet kid under his bed chasing arc tangents. He went home and we heard he entered southern tech. Steamboat fulton FFFFF.

During winter finals the steam radiators heaters would not shut off so we had the windows to the quadrangle towards back of Brittan dining hall . Some guy hollered a cuse word and for 10 minutes there was an ever building crescendo as we all screamed. I found myself most satisfied shen i screamed " to hell w ga" .

There was lots of national stress in late 60's - desegregation, nuke threat, vietnam, assainstions, riots, etc added to personal issues and gt shaft culture impacted me in many ways.

I have found that cheering for the White and Gold at BDS was the best stress reliever.