Last Year's UGA Game

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My UGA brother-in-law and I watched the game in Athens together and then watched some game film together. He was somewhat dejected about the outcome but his real dejection was over our OL domination of the dawgs DL line and LBs and the dawgs inability to slow down our run game. I was especially happy about our third and fourth quarter blocking and play execution. It was physical domination and nothing feels worse than being on the losing end of that.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. In the past we always found a way to lose. It felt no different last year. When JT fumbled that pump fake or whatever it was, I felt it was happening again. I was not surprised in the least when the mutts went ahead on that 4th down pass with 18 seconds left. I really thought it was over at that point. Then we had 3 amazing plays in a row with the return, the scramble and the kick. I thought we had a chance, but was far from certain.

When we shredded them in OT with 6 consecutive runs to the right side behind Shaq I thought we had it in the bag, then something very COFH happened, the blocked PAT. I thought that was it, the curse strikes again. Uga would score a td then win it on the extra point. I was shocked by the INT. I was thrilled, but I was shocked.

O ye of little faith. Not that's there precedent for that or anything.
Strangely, even after the Mitchell TD, even after the blocked PAT, I just felt ... we had this.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
My UGA brother-in-law and I watched the game in Athens together and then watched some game film together. He was somewhat dejected about the outcome but his real dejection was over our OL domination of the dawgs DL line and LBs and the dawgs inability to slow down our run game. I was especially happy about our third and fourth quarter blocking and play execution. It was physical domination and nothing feels worse than being on the losing end of that.
This is true, except that the only thing worse than being on the losing end of physical domination is being on the winning end of it but with fewer points. Until D.J. White decided he had seen enough, I wasn't sure the right team would win.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
When we shredded them in OT with 6 consecutive runs to the right side behind Shaq I thought we had it in the bag, then something very COFH happened, the blocked PAT. I thought that was it, the curse strikes again. Uga would score a td then win it on the extra point. I was shocked by the INT. I was thrilled, but I was shocked.

I think everyone was shocked - even the mutts.

While I believe that GT's players never gave up, the COFH history of the last 50 years dictates that GT generally . . . I can't bear to type it - and we all know it.

Never the less, after it was all said and done COFH 2014 is a game for the ages. My 5th year daughter braved the cesspool with her friends to watch the game. I told her that she will be a grandmother and still talking about being at that game.

Last edited:

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Did anyone notice the "injuries" in the first half by the mutts? It seemed like if they got gashed, a player would get injured for an extended period and then be back in the next play.

Almost as though the players were getting "injured" in order to allow the DC to analyze and make an adjustment.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
O ye of little faith. Not that's there precedent for that or anything.
Strangely, even after the Mitchell TD, even after the blocked PAT, I just felt ... we had this.
I was in the exact same place mentally (but I will admit to a bit of doubt creeping in when the OT kick was blocked). After the final UGA TD, my first thought was "Golden is due for a huge return", then after the squib I told my wife "we got this...only need 20 yards to get in Butker's potential range". Once we lined up I just knew we had it. The way that game went, no matter who won the loss would be soul-crushing. If we won (which we did) then UGA had gone from thinking they had it in the bag to a crushing loss. If we had lost, we would have lost a game that we dominated and got absolutely screwed by the refs.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone notice the "injuries" in the first half by the mutts? It seemed like if they got gashed, a player would get injured for an extended period and then be back in the next play.

Almost as though the players were getting "injured" in order to allow the DC to analyze and make an adjustment.
I don't think it worked to well. :D

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I will say that when we recovered our own kickoff after scoring to take the lead late in the 4th qtr, I thought we had it in the bag. We were gashing them at will and they couldn't stop us. Then that illfated drive where they stuffed us for the first time in a long time. I didn't see that coming or the "fumble" that followed. If they ever need an official example of a roller-coaster of emotions, this game fits it to a T.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I don't think it worked to well. :D

It worked in our favor. When a coach calls those clock plays, it tells the D that he thinks they cant cut it.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I just wish it worked out so the game wasn't on SEC Network. So many just regular CFB fans with no ties to COFH missed a great game that was easy for no relation fans to get into.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I will say that when we recovered our own kickoff after scoring to take the lead late in the 4th qtr, I thought we had it in the bag. We were gashing them at will and they couldn't stop us. Then that illfated drive where they stuffed us for the first time in a long time. I didn't see that coming or the "fumble" that followed. If they ever need an official example of a roller-coaster of emotions, this game fits it to a T.

Same here, what happened with our execution/playcalling on that drive?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Same here, what happened with our execution/playcalling on that drive?
That is an excellent question and it has not been explored. I'll have to go back and look at it but my impression was what Johnson was trying to run the clock down and eliminate errors by having Thomas keep the ball and run wide. But I just don't remember.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That is an excellent question and it has not been explored. I'll have to go back and look at it but my impression was what Johnson was trying to run the clock down and eliminate errors by having Thomas keep the ball and run wide. But I just don't remember.
It looked like CPJ saw something he was trying to exploit. But I think you are right about also attempting to eliminate errors. Thomas had a run / pass option on that drive and CPJ was putting the ball in the hands of his play maker. This is where we glimpsed that Thomas is still young. He tried to make something happen whereas I am sure CPJ wanted him to take what was there or just get rid of the ball. I am also sure that CPJ wants his players to not worry about whether a play "works" or not, just run the play and "let me worry about the next call" after I see what the defense is doing. Sometimes not everything CPJ calls works but it probably goes against everything he preaches if a player inadvertently "takes the ball away" from CPJ so that he doesn't have another option.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's a little disappointing in hind site in that that was our opportunity to drive the dagger home and we couldn't do it. It just seemed we lacked the killer instinct in that moment and got passive. We didn't need a score to win, we just needed to burn clock. Maybe we got a little complacent with our effort, too, thinking it was in the bag or that Uga was just gonna capitulate.

In OT we completely regained our focus as we mowed throught them like a hot knife through butter. It was completely different scenario in that we "needed" to score in order to win.

I think the killer instinct is the last domino that needs to fall to show that we've completely turned the corner. (wow, 3 metaphors in one sentence!) ;)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's a little disappointing in hind site in that that was our opportunity to drive the dagger home and we couldn't do it. It just seemed we lacked the killer instinct in that moment and got passive. We didn't need a score to win, we just needed to burn clock. Maybe we got a little complacent with our effort, too, thinking it was in the bag or that Uga was just gonna capitulate.

In OT we completely regained our focus as we mowed throught them like a hot knife through butter. It was completely different scenario in that we "needed" to score in order to win.

I think the killer instinct is the last domino that needs to fall to show that we've completely turned the corner. (wow, 3 metaphors in one sentence!) ;)
I just looked at it again, which is the good thing. The bad thing is seeing the fumble again. But: after getting a first down after recovering the KO, Laskey was stuffed up the middle, Thomas rolled left on an obvious keeper but was thrown for 3-4 yard loss, and on third down -- clearly a pass play from the line blocking -- Thomas rolled right but got pushed way behind the LOS when Laskey whiffed a cut block in the backfield -- threw it too soon and the Georgia player stepped out of it -- and then either 21 or 31 failed to pick him up, sending Thomas deeper and wider with nowhere to go and nobody open. I am staying completely away from that fumble thing.

But something I have never noticed, which proves I am not a film scout, on field goals and extra points, Mason lined up at left guard, not right. Maybe the result of Drew blocking a kick, but it was really odd. Maybe others have some insight.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Like probably everyone, I thought after the kickoff recovery we had the game. We had been pretty much unstoppable, and had a huge extra helping of mo after the recovery. I have to give some credit to UGA for making some plays at that point. I would have much preferred we took over the game then, but looking back, it just added to the drama which made this game one of the best football games I've ever seen. I don't know how many neutral people watched this game, but it was the kind of game that any college football fan would have to say was one for the ages.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Like probably everyone, I thought after the kickoff recovery we had the game. We had been pretty much unstoppable, and had a huge extra helping of mo after the recovery. I have to give some credit to UGA for making some plays at that point. I would have much preferred we took over the game then, but looking back, it just added to the drama which made this game one of the best football games I've ever seen. I don't know how many neutral people watched this game, but it was the kind of game that any college football fan would have to say was one for the ages.
Well, I have to say I would have preferred more one and less ages. Just win it and get out.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

You know, this is what I would have expected most Bulldog fans to think. Trying to look at it from the other side, I would have been seriously bummed watching my blue chip defense dominated and seeing the other team's cat quick point guard of an option quarterback and knowing he had two more years. But my brothers in law took the whole game as a fluke, a lucky win that will surely not happen again any time soon. I want next year's game something awful, and I don't want it to be close this time.