Last Year's UGA Game

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I had lunch yesterday with a buddy of mine, a UGA graduate, and we started talking about the upcoming season, which led to us talking about last season. When we talked about the UGA game, he made an interesting point that I hadn't considered. His point was that Thomas's second "fumble" ended up being a positive thing for Tech, and after hearing him out, I think I agree.

Essentially, the reasoning is that the fumble happened with 2:45 or so left with UGA down to one timeout. Let's assume that instead of fumbling he gets tackled where he fumbled, making it fourth down with around 2:45 left, and UGA burns their final timeout. Let's assume Butker makes the FG (large assumption, I think) and Tech takes a 24-17 lead. UGA gets the ball back around the 25 yard line (which is near where the fumble happened) with around 2:30 left. If they have the exact same drive they had, they score with almost no time left, and we go to overtime. Anyway, his thinking was that Tech went into the overtime period feeling awesome about it, while UGA felt like all the air was out of the balloon. If you believe in momentum, and even though I'm not sure I do, it's hard to argue what he said. I'd love to know if anyone agrees with him.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't forget to think about how deflated tech's defense felt after Thomas's 2nd "fumble". If they do score a td or fg instead on that play, I think tech's defense feels pretty good about the situation. Maybe they get a stop instead, going off of the momentum theory.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Great point. It seems like when the opposing team forces OT in the final seconds against us, we've gone on to lose in OT. I don't have any stats on this from other teams. I just think back to overtimes we've played in. 2012 VT and Miami. It looks like we're going to win and they force OT and we lose. 2013 UGA. We dominated the game and they tie it and we lose in OT. From a players perspective, it makes sense mentally. Thinking back to my playing days, this happened often.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't forget to think about how deflated tech's defense felt after Thomas's 2nd "fumble". If they do score a td or fg instead on that play, I think tech's defense feels pretty good about the situation. Maybe they get a stop instead, going off of the momentum theory.

This is a good point too. If we get a FG, the defense is probably feeling better about the situation. In the situation we were in, it seemed like if we gave up a TD, we lose the game. But if we're up 7, maybe the defense is in a better place mentally. Both good points.

It is my opinion that Thomas only fumbled once. The first time was a blown call.
The second one was a blown call too. Whether the plan was for him to throw it or not, it arm was in a forward motion when he dropped the ball. It should have been an incomplete pass. But a larger question is why the hell did Johnson run that play anyway?

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
It is my opinion that Thomas only fumbled once. The first time was a blown call.

Not only was that NOT a fumble, it was actually a TD for US, not THEM, plus they had TWO illegal blocked kicks which took points away from us. The SEC Refs did everything in the power to give the game to UGA but we still beat them. Screw the Dawgs and the SEC Refs.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't want to hear any BS from mutt fans. the Zebras gave them 17 points, 14 on the stolen ball and run back and 3 on the fake field goal that resulted in another field goal.

They are the worst. I can't tell you how many UGA fans have said that they "gave" us the game. They are delusional. So you fumbled twice on the goal line? That's one of the reasons we were the better team that day. And the refs gave you two BS fumble calls and we still won.

By the way, you mentioned the fake field goal. I'm guessing you mean the missed holding call on Golden?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They are the worst. I can't tell you how many UGA fans have said that they "gave" us the game. They are delusional. So you fumbled twice on the goal line? That's one of the reasons we were the better team that day. And the refs gave you two BS fumble calls and we still won.

By the way, you mentioned the fake field goal. I'm guessing you mean the missed holding call on Golden?
Yes sir.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
By my count the refs accounted for a 27 point swing... Two illegally blocked field goals, 14 points on the fumble return for TD, and 7 on the incomplete pass/fumble. They may have scored the 7 anyways towards the end of the game, but I still count it.

In the end, I wouldn't change a dang thing about that game. It summarizes the will of the team and their unwillingness to give up.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
By my count the refs accounted for a 27 point swing... Two illegally blocked field goals, 14 points on the fumble return for TD, and 7 on the incomplete pass/fumble. They may have scored the 7 anyways towards the end of the game, but I still count it.

In the end, I wouldn't change a dang thing about that game. It summarizes the will of the team and their unwillingness to give up.

Wasn't it a blocked FG and blocked PAT?