Last Year's UGA Game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I just looked at it again, which is the good thing. The bad thing is seeing the fumble again. But: after getting a first down after recovering the KO, Laskey was stuffed up the middle, Thomas rolled left on an obvious keeper but was thrown for 3-4 yard loss, and on third down -- clearly a pass play from the line blocking -- Thomas rolled right but got pushed way behind the LOS when Laskey whiffed a cut block in the backfield -- threw it too soon and the Georgia player stepped out of it -- and then either 21 or 31 failed to pick him up, sending Thomas deeper and wider with nowhere to go and nobody open. I am staying completely away from that fumble thing.

But something I have never noticed, which proves I am not a film scout, on field goals and extra points, Mason lined up at left guard, not right. Maybe the result of Drew blocking a kick, but it was really odd. Maybe others have some insight.
I wonder if it is possible that Mark Richt simply guessed right on his defensive calls in this series (yes, I do not believe at this critical juncture he would have just left it up to his DC). Maybe he made 2 correct calls in a row and Tech blew the other play? This kind of lightning striking multiple times in a row just proves the football gods wanted to have some fun with us before letting us put the game away. I bet Tech runs that series 9 out of 10 times and mows uga down and gets the touchdown, the clock and the game.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if it is possible that Mark Richt simply guessed right on his defensive calls in this series (yes, I do not believe at this critical juncture he would have just left it up to his DC). Maybe he made 2 correct calls in a row and Tech blew the other play? This kind of lightning striking multiple times in a row just proves the football gods wanted to have some fun with us before letting us put the game away. I bet Tech runs that series 9 out of 10 times and mows uga down and gets the touchdown, the clock and the game.
Sure as hell did in the overtime period.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Part of me wishes it happened this way. A beat down would have been more satisfying for us and more demoralizing to the mutts. A lot of mutts think it was a lucky fluke we won.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Less of an issue with the guys on the field. My beef is with the replay official. There were several calls that were obvious on review should have been overturned and weren't.

In the end, it only made the game more exciting. Not sure my heart can take so many of those, but in the end, the good guys won, yea!!!

Now that you mention it I had not thought of this comparison before. Our overtime loss in 2013 was gut wrenching but in some ways uga's loss last year was probably more gut wrenching for them since they thought they had it won at several different points in the course of the game. We had victory snatched from us at the end of the 2013 game whereas last year they had victory snatched from them at least three or four times. I'm going to say their pain was worse. :)

The game had the best possible scenario. Georgie going ahead with 18 seconds, the kick (a hit to their arrogance). Tech's easy touchdown in overtime. The blocked PAT which gave them hope. Then the sudden death Pick by DJ White and 80,000+ arrogant dawgie fans had to stay to the very bitter (for them) and watch a Georgia Tech win in Athens. PRICELESS!!! It was better than beating them 50 to 0.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
PRICELESS!!! It was better than beating them 50 to 0.
Yes. Any sane Tech fan should ask themselves the question, "Which kind of loss hurts more, the one where you lose 50 to nothing or the one where you think you have the game won but lose in heart breaking fashion in the final seconds?"

As much as I want to beat the living tar out of the dwags I know that this loss hurt them far worse. We twisted the knife and then rubbed salt in the wound. Just dare a dwag to tell you that one didn't hurt.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Any sane Tech fan should ask themselves the question, "Which kind of loss hurts more, the one where you lose 50 to nothing or the one where you think you have the game won but lose in heart breaking fashion in the final seconds?"

As much as I want to beat the living tar out of the dwags I know that this loss hurt them far worse. We twisted the knife and then rubbed salt in the wound. Just dare a dwag to tell you that one didn't hurt.

Sure, wins like that over the dwags are priceless—but as a season ticket holder, I'd really love to see the dwag fans streaming out of BDS at halftime, every other year.

My UGA brother-in-law and I watched the game in Athens together and then watched some game film together. He was somewhat dejected about the outcome but his real dejection was over our OL domination of the dawgs DL line and LBs and the dawgs inability to slow down our run game. I was especially happy about our third and fourth quarter blocking and play execution. It was physical domination and nothing feels worse than being on the losing end of that.
Just imagine how dejected we all would have been had we lost 31-30, knowing we were the dominate team all afternoon. And, let's be honest, when that PAT was blocked, our collective hearts sank. But then deliverance, atonement, resurrection, victory. And dejection transferred to those in red and black. I still say, this was as sweet as sweet gets.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, I want to jump out to a 21-0 lead in the 1st quarter, extend it to 35-0 by halftime and then watch the walk-ons dismantle them in the second half. I want to crush their spirits early and then stomp on their mutilated carcasses. I was to Cumberland them.

Every time I spend a mind wandering hour cutting the lawn, all summer long, that almost exactly describes what I like to picture.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan

52-7 hurts the worst of any I remember....

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Knowing their disappointment after all the momentum changes was great but I still heard too many saying things like "That game could've gone either way" and blaming Richt for a bad call, etc. We need them to KNOW they were annihilated and remove all possible excuses :)

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

1997 was the worst for me. But we thought we were coming out of a long drought too. That made it even worse.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
We owe them a bushel of late heart breaking losses. I want a ten year stretch where each year we score with less than a minute to win the game. I want them to know it's coming and be helpless and hopeless. I want them so depressed they don't even bother to set their DVR's. I want them to be leaving the stadium in the 4th qtr even though they are leading because they know they have lost.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We owe them a bushel of late heart breaking losses. I want a ten year stretch where each year we score with less than a minute to win the game. I want them to know it's coming and be helpless and hopeless. I want them so depressed they don't even bother to set their DVR's. I want them to be leaving the stadium in the 4th qtr even though they are leading because they know they have lost.
May God forgive me, I like this.