Kudos to Shamire

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
From Ken Sugiura's gatech blog:

‘Nice job’ by Devine
Offensive line coach Mike Sewak gave right guard Shamire Devine solid marks for his play in the season-opening win over Alcorn State. “He worked well,” Sewak said. “He did a nice job. He had a couple bad assignments, but I tell you, he came off the ball and sometimes, I saw that other guy say ‘Uncle’ before he even got to him.”
You just gotta love that last line...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised if they just tell Shamire that he doesn't need to scoop if he can just down block his guy into a pancake. He really looks uncomfortable trying to scoop, imo.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they just tell Shamire that he doesn't need to scoop if he can just down block his guy into a pancake. He really looks uncomfortable trying to scoop, imo.
But, then he might end up pancaking our RB running through the opposite A-gap too.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I was impressed by how often we pulled him, and the fact he made it out to block. He moves really well for his size.
Yes he does, and he is just ridiculously big as well. I liked the sideline shots of our OL down in their stances...Shamire's back was a full foot higher than any other lineman. Dude just stands out.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
shamire.jpg

This is just insane. Can you imagine lining up across from THAT?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Really glad to hear Shamire graded out well, if he can dominate from the RG spot we'll have some good things happen this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was impressed by how often we pulled him, and the fact he made it out to block. He moves really well for his size.

I'm not sure where some of our fans keep getting that Shamire isn't mobile. Have seen it mentioned quite a few times across various threads. CPJ isn't going to put someone at guard if they can't pull and get to the next level, and if you watch his high school tape, the guy can scoot. He was rated a top 10 Offensive Tackle out of HS for a reason.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure where some of our fans keep getting that Shamire isn't mobile. Have seen it mentioned quite a few times across various threads. CPJ isn't going to put someone at guard if they can't pull and get to the next level, and if you watch his high school tape, the guy can scoot. He was rated a top 10 Offensive Tackle out of HS for a reason.
Also, dominated at the Opening camp in Eugene. I think he couldn't participate in the full pads portions because of some issue with his school's football season or something, but the drills he was there for he was consistently getting the upper hand on the assembled collection of top talent from around the country. His potential is really off the charts.

Lee34102

Georgia Tech Fan
I was pleased to see how many plays Devine was in on, the very fact that he was able to stay on the field as long as he was is a major stride...