Kudos to Shamire

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@vamosjackets:

If Shamire were to pancake a B-Back running through the opposite A-Gap lets just hope it's Skov as he stands the best chance of surviving that trucking. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed it doesn't happen ever.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was pleased to see how many plays Devine was in on, the very fact that he was able to stay on the field as long as he was is a major stride...

I think the coaches did that to play him into shape. There is no motivation better than sticking you under the bright lights and realizing "holy crap, if I don't get my butt in shape, I'm going to pass out in front of 55,000 people...or the guy on the other side is going to embarrass me in front of 55,000 people...or both"

Coaches are giving Shamire some tough love!

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
Also, dominated at the Opening camp in Eugene. I think he couldn't participate in the full pads portions because of some issue with his school's football season or something, but the drills he was there for he was consistently getting the upper hand on the assembled collection of top talent from around the country. His potential is really off the charts.
GA law wouldn't let the lineman pad up

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan

Attachments

• IMG_508381431945028.jpeg
    IMG_508381431945028.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 100

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The guy could develop into the best OL at Tech since John Davis. What it comes down to is that he is just as fast as a 250 lb. DL and weighs better then 100 lbs. more then that. This is, shall we say, a challenge for most DLs. Say you are a 300 lb. DT. Let's face it: you haven't played against someone who out weighs you by more then 50 lbs. in a very, very long time. That's difficult to adjust to.

Back in my high school days, I was a decent size for the time (mid-60's), 5' 10", 190. I played guard and seldom ran into someone who greatly out weighed me. When I did, I was usually faster. The we played Grady. Nose tackle for Grady = Charles "Budda" Slaton. The Budda was 6' 270. He was simply immovable and, believe me, I tried. I feel the pain of the DLs going up against Shamire. Deeply. Very deeply.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Son coached a giant ol man in high school - was very passive and did not like to leave his feet.
Convinced him it was ok if he pancaked his guy.
He played and started ( though un drafted out of u of new mex) for panthers at 400-and now for Titans at 350+. No where as agile as Sham.
If sham keeps improving - blocking ND types and gets pass blocking down, he will have a successful career in football before his gt career starts.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Also, dominated at the Opening camp in Eugene. I think he couldn't participate in the full pads portions because of some issue with his school's football season or something, but the drills he was there for he was consistently getting the upper hand on the assembled collection of top talent from around the country. His potential is really off the charts.
That was all pass pro drills, iirc. We need him to be good at other stuff, primarily. That said, his potential is truly off the charts, as you say. Conditioning and stamina and work ethic to get where he needs to be are the question marks in my head about him.

That was all pass pro drills, iirc. We need him to be good at other stuff, primarily. That said, his potential is truly off the charts, as you say. Conditioning and stamina and work ethic to get where he needs to be are the question marks in my head about him.
But the fact of the matter is our offensive success doesn't depend on Shamire. We are luxuriously deep on the offensive line. If he can go 20 plays, no problem. He doesn't need to be in there for 55 plays. We have other guards that can get it done.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shamire can be as good as he wants to be. The question is, how much sacrifice is he willing to make to maximize the vast potential he has? The right guard position is the most decorated position in CPJ's GT tenure. Uzzi and Mason both earned countless All-ACC and All American awards at that spot, and neither of those players has the ceiling Shamire has.

I said it in another thread...Shamire has once in a generation talent for his position that GT usually doesn't get. The guy can make top tier money on the next level if he wants it. That's the rub with Shamire...how badly does he want it?!

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
I am confused what do ya'll want from the young man.he has done a lot of adjustment to work with gt scheme of football he is versatile can play where ever you put him including defense. He is not the largest or the most out of shape player playing college ball. Gt wanted something different here he is .it seems like pulling teeth just to give the young man a compliment. Give him a fair chance to show and prove .75% of his weight is not fat .he is not the only one sucking for air either. Ya'll want him to play the whole game .I am cool with 5 great possession to touchdowns a game. a full year protection of jt .an injury free year.wich should lead to another ring.all I'm saying g lay off the kid's weight some stop acting like he can't do the job.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I am confused what do ya'll want from the young man.he has done a lot of adjustment to work with gt scheme of football he is versatile can play where ever you put him including defense. He is not the largest or the most out of shape player playing college ball. Gt wanted something different here he is .it seems like pulling teeth just to give the young man a compliment. Give him a fair chance to show and prove .75% of his weight is not fat .he is not the only one sucking for air either. Ya'll want him to play the whole game. I am cool with 5 great possession to touchdowns a game. a full year protection of jt .an injury free year.wich should lead to another ring.all I'm saying g lay off the kid's weight some stop acting like he can't do the job.
Most of us here are fully behind Shamire, but I feel most of the "criticism" is because so many have really high expectations for the kid. We're all very happy to have him on our team and think he can be a defining player for us. If a guy with his immense potential can excel here, it will help to completely demolish the "no NFL out of GT" narrative for OLs (following on the heels of Shaq starting for the Pats).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Most of us here are fully behind Shamire, but I feel most of the "criticism" is because so many have really high expectations for the kid. We're all very happy to have him on our team and think he can be a defining player for us. If a guy with his immense potential can excel here, it will help to completely demolish the "no NFL out of GT" narrative for OLs (following on the heels of Shaq starting for the Pats).

I think the saying "To whom much is given, much is expected." applies to Shamire.