Kudos to Shamire

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nothing was giving to him .his size separated him.

So you're saying we can all grow to 6'7 and have freakish strength and feet at 350+ lbs? For that matter, we can all run the forty in 4.3 seconds, jump out of the building, have a 6'5 frame, and contort our body in mid air to catch anything within a 10 yard radius like Calvin Johnson?

I'm apparently in the dark about how I can achieve those physical gifts.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coach and ast coaches deserve credit here.
Did not rush him in to service.
Last year thay put him in during 3rd quarter - defense predictable and a step slower.
He built confidence and by orange bowl was a force.
This year - started and played the most of any lineman. Looked dominant on smaller DL.
Coaches are bringing him along fine and he is stepping up.
Predict this year he will play q1 q2 ,rest in 3rd and then return for dominant q4.
Also with him the pass pocket potential on right side with Skov is intriguing. Will qb have time to through to fast ab instead of fling it to WR on sideline.

Can't wait for ND

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
So you're saying we can all grow to 6'7 and have freakish strength and feet at 350+ lbs? For that matter, we can all run the forty in 4.3 seconds, jump out of the building, have a 6'5 frame, and contort our body in mid air to catch anything within a 10 yard radius like Calvin Johnson?

I'm apparently in the dark about how I can achieve those physical gifts.
No techster what I am saying he had to work just as hard or even harder nothing was handed to him . He comes from a single parent home grew up poor in the hood with no real luxuries of life.had to learn to accept his size. Any one who grew up different from the magority knows is not easy.body type relating to football you may see as a gift given.for a kid who rather do other things may have been taken as a curse.the boy don't breathe eat live football but seems to have accepted the opportunity to change his life situation through ball hence a great education through gt.please don't think for one moment , his road to that field was easy or handed to him.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
No techster what I am saying he had to work just as hard or even harder nothing was handed to him . He comes from a single parent home grew up poor in the hood with no real luxuries of life.had to learn to accept his size. Any one who grew up different from the magority knows is not easy.body type relating to football you may see as a gift given.for a kid who rather do other things may have been taken as a curse.the boy don't breathe eat live football but seems to have accepted the opportunity to change his life situation through ball hence a great education through gt.please don't think for one moment , his road to that field was easy or handed to him.

I think the vast majority of folks on this, or any other GT board love Shamire, his unique personality and interests, and would agree that he represents everything we all love about Georgia Tech.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
I think a lot of people on this board think that having size like Shamire, it's a given that they would be successful at football or other sports. The streets (and McDonalds, factories, grocery stores etc...) are littered with people his size that have never succeeded at football, some never even giving it a go.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the vast majority of folks on this, or any other GT board love Shamire, his unique personality and interests, and would agree that he represents everything we all love about Georgia Tech.
I think the vast majority of folks would be frustrated at seeing such vast potential go unfulfilled because someone's interest didn't intersect with their gifts. It happens all the time and it isn't a negative commentary on the individual. It just is what it is.

That said, I'm not saying this is gonna happen with Shamire or is even what is going on at the moment. It just appears that way to me. Also, I'm glad to see he had a good game against Alcorn and can't wait to see him pancake a bunch of green waves on Saturday!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion.
Shamire has never really had to work for it due to his blessed athleticism. He's learning what work looks and feels like in football, particularly with his weight.

He wants it and as he continues to grow he will get it. When it fully comes together watch out cause he may be bouncing to the NFL a year before his eligibility runs out.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
Just my opinion.
Shamire has never really had to work for it due to his blessed athleticism. He's learning what work looks and feels like in football, particularly with his weight.

He wants it and as he continues to grow he will get it. When it fully comes together watch out cause he may be bouncing to the NFL a year before his eligibility runs out.
That is your opinion and you are in titled to it for any foot ball player who had to get up in the morning when they didn't want to run til you throw up deal with GA weather take a beaten on your body especially because you are the big man. Have broken bones ripped ligaments and still decide to go back out there play hurt even as a peewee player worry about making weight .give up your whole year just for a sport.maintain grades ect. If that's not working for it please tell me what is. I would of gave in many of hot summer days.once again it is your opinion but I do beg to differ.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I think a lot of people on this board think that having size like Shamire, it's a given that they would be successful at football or other sports. The streets (and McDonalds, factories, grocery stores etc...) are littered with people his size that have never succeeded at football, some never even giving it a go.
Damn. Where are all these 6'7" 365 lb people you are talking about!!!! Land of the giants!

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I take it from the number of posts you have that you're new around here. If you read my posts, you would know I'm probably the font with the highest opinion of Shamire's ability. If you took my OP to mean Shamire was given everything in life, then I apologize. That's certainly not what I meant, and any student much less SA that can make it through 3 years of GT has worked for it and isn't handed anything. And if you play for CPJ, you certainly earn your place.

My point is, Shamire was "gifted" top tier physical attributes for this sport through the genetics lottery (or from God for the religiously inclined). Same as Calvin Johnson. With those physical "gifts" comes high expectations. Whether Shamire views it as a curse or a gift is his prerogative. That's the human aspect of it fans don't see or can't relate to. From a fan's perspective, we all view athlete's with top tier talent and skillsets, and expect much more from them than the regular SA. Hence "To whom much is given, much is expected." (which is a verse from Luke 12:48). He may not like those expectations, but when you're that physically gifted for the position he plays, and you're a highly rated recruit...unfortunately, high expectations are inherent with it. Fair or not.

Trust me, EVERYONE on this board wants to see Shamire do well and maximize his talents then go on to the next level and make more money than is fathomable for 99% of us and set him and his family up for life. He certainly has the physical tools to get there if he wants it. And if that's not what he wants from life, then we will all still wish him the best.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple thoughts to add.

We need Shamire to be able to play every snap of the game unless his coaches want him out. That is the bottom line. His failure to get ready to do so would simply be him putting selfish pleasures ahead of the team. He signed to go here. He needs to support the team to work to the very best of his ability. His team has a chance to be great with him at RG and he has a chance to be great on his own accord. Should he choose to walk away from football, then I will love him all the same, but if he chooses to play here, he needs to be "ALL IN".

Having said all that, I believe he has made real progress and I believe he is beginning to understand what it takes. In his mind, I'll bet he thinks he has worked incredibly hard to make this progress. In my mind, I don't think he has even scratched the surface of what kind of sacrifices could be made to develop one's self. I have been pushed to my wits end by outside sources (USMC) during my life and I have also pushed myself pretty hard at times too. He can do more and I believe he WILL do more. I pledge him my undying support during the entire process. I can't tell you how highly I think of this kid and where he could possibly go.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Just my opinion.

I was thinking about that too, he could even leave after this year if he has a monster year. Isn't he a CS major? The more I thought about it I think he might be the guy who stays all 5 years and is projected as a 1st rounder and instead of going to the league just takes some cs job and starts off making 6 figures. Who knows, but glad hes on the team, he's a beast.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I believe we are right where we need to be - see my tag line.
We will get better faster than most and sham wow will get better and peak on the last game of the season.
Isn't that the game that matters

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That is your opinion and you are in titled to it for any foot ball player who had to get up in the morning when they didn't want to run til you throw up deal with GA weather take a beaten on your body especially because you are the big man. Have broken bones ripped ligaments and still decide to go back out there play hurt even as a peewee player worry about making weight .give up your whole year just for a sport.maintain grades ect. If that's not working for it please tell me what is. I would of gave in many of hot summer days.once again it is your opinion but I do beg to differ.

Re read my post please.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 1170
This is just insane. Can you imagine lining up across from THAT?
pancake-fun-facts.jpeg